No work ride data today; has been about the same each ride and nothing different this time, except the wheel has been feeling a little odd for a while and I decided to see why when I got home. The spokes were even looser than when I got the wheel (since I did not re-true or retension the wheel, wanting to see if these 14G spokes or the typical rim would cause problems because of it--and yes, they did). When I started turning each nipple 1/4 turn at a time to retension the wheel, I found one of the nipples wouldn't tension at all and was stripped out, probably from the wheel not being tensioned enough, letting the nipple turn and eventually rattle/rub threads/etc., but could've been that way from the factory it was made at.
Fortunately I had some 14G nipples and spokes in my junk box, probably from the original 36V Fusin wheel I got from Dogman way back, which I bent the rim on in a skid/crash on DayGlo Avenger, and eventually unlaced that Fusin from the rim and put it in a 24" for CrazyBike2, leaving it's spokes and nipples available for future spares for situations like this one.
Anyhow, since the nipple had to be replaced, I'd have to take the tire at least loose, so I figured I'd also change over to the Infinity Armadillo-type tires from Ohzee here:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12500&p=595972#p595972
and test them out on this bike in place of the torn-sidewall tire I've been using on the rear,
and the not-too-grippy semi-knobbyish old Landrider tire on the front (which is actually the whole front wheel from the Nishik-E).
So I pulled the whole rear wheel off to do that. While I was at it, I pulled the cassette off and looked around at my tubing/pipes to see if any of them were the right diameter to make that tool needed to remove the cover of this Fusin motor, and unfortunatley I don't have anything large enough that isn't far too large.
I'll have to think of a way to do it some other way. I also noted that I will likely have to take the freewheel mechanism off first, as it may be in the way of the cover coming up (if it is attached to the axle and not the cover; I don't know; shoudl be the cover but I can't see in there without taking one or the other off). It, too, would require a special tool to take it out, so hopefully it's part of the cover. No more time to spend on that part today.
So no peeking inside the motor yet.
I started to just replace the stripped nipple...then I thought, if I'm going to true this up and replace the nipple to make a better wheel, why don't I just go ahead and relace the whole friggin' wheel, since it's laced offset by one (small space over valve instead of big) and it's laced wrong (no over-under interleaving of spokes). Then it might stand a chance of surviving these potholey roads without bending up as easily. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have the minimal rear suspension, the rim would already be trashed because of the wheel being so loose and laced wrong when I got it. As it was, it started out being out of round, possibly with a flat spot already on the rim (hard to tell when I originally checked it, and nearly impossible to see in the video).
Proceeded to unlace the wheel, and mark it to relace correctly. Got it all off and then about 1/4 laced (first 9 on the disc side when Hachi decided I'd been at it too long (couple of hours at this point) and wanted attention. So I gestured her over and bent forward to scratch her chin, and almost shiskebobed my eye on a spoke.
That really really hurts.
I got lucky and missed the eye and only got the corner of the lower eyelid, but my left eye still keeps tearing up and sorta feels like I have a splinter in it, though there' snothing there I can see, with a mirror and a light. I tried to take a pic but I can't really seem to hold the camera, mirror, and light well enough to get a focus on it. Maybe later when I'm not so tired and shaky.
Eventually I went back to the wheel, and finished lacing and mostly truing it. Espeicaly happy that the valve hole is now in the open space.
Can't fix the out-of round problem without screwing up side-to-side too much, and can't fix the side-to-side completely. Guess the rim's already bent too much, or I am just not able to concentrate well enough to figure it out.
Installed the tube and rim and then aired it up, and I got about 40-45PSI when suddenly it started hissing like the airhose came off the stem, but it was unfortunatley the actual stem that was leaking. Again.
I'm realy really sick and tired of blown up ruptured herniated violated crappily made valve stems on tubes. I mean, I can patch most any place on a tube except there, and be sure it will hold at least for a while. But a stem....
Anyway, that's where i finally gave up, after 5 or 6 hours of trying to do all that plus holding my eye while being drowned in doggie slobber as Hachi and Nana tried to make it all better.
I gotta take a nap soon cuz I am really really tired, and then I gotta go up to work and pick up two 35lb bags of dog food that I couldn't take home last night, not having the trailer or anyplace on the Fusin test bike to haul them on. No way they'll work on the front baskets; I alrady tried that with a single smaller bag a few days ago, and that was not much fun getting home. So this bike won't be taking them home; I'll have to use CrazyBIke2 to do it. Well, it's built for that, so at least I know it'll work. At least, as well as it always has. I hope.
More on this bike later, when I get time.