72V 33A x5 Acceleration Test Video

xyster

10 MW
A couple people in the past reported difficulty viewing embedded flash 8 vids. For them, here's the direct line to the video:
http://home.comcast.net/~xysterxxavier/ebiketest.swf
<br>
<p align="justify">
<embed src="http://home.comcast.net/~xysterxxavier/ebiketest.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="640" height="480" name="ebiketest" align="right" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
This 16mb streaming video requires flash 8 or newer, and a broadband connection unless you want to download it overnight :). <br>I previously posted this brief video of an acceleration test comparing 72 volts with 64 volts a couple months ago on a different board, so some have seen it already. Since this video, I've added 30 more batteries for 300 total, at ~80 volts, fixed the problem that knocked it down a couple amps from the normal 35, and reconfigured battery placement so there's less weight on the back rack, which broke shortly after this test :cry: . <br>When I get a chance, I'll post a third video in the series comparing real-world acceleration results with 80 volts and 35 amps to 72 volts and 33 amps.</p>

Hi Buddy

Great video, good quality ride as well, felt like I was on the bike! ha ha, I tell you that accelerates very well xyster! I think it would be a very close match with the Puma and my Trek in a drag race (till we got to some hills) :twisted: ha ha but no thats very impressive, its nice to see your bike clean again as well looks like the silver dream machine!! look it up David Essex starred in that movie (my friends dad was a rider in the pack as well!!) ha ha.

Ive a dream...silver dream machine....look out the music as well would go nice on your next video :D

Thanks again, do you find your controller to be reliable at 72V? I am finding them a little less than reliable at 72V :? 48V is good though

Cheers again...and I want more videos get filming!! I want to see more of your lovely country!!

Cheers

Knoxie 8)

Great video, good quality ride as well, felt like I was on the bike! ha ha, I tell you that accelerates very well xyster!

Hey Knoxie...And that was with it at 72v. I've since added another 8 volts of lithium and fixed the issue that was sapping 2 amps of current.

I think it would be a very close match with the Puma and my Trek in a drag race (till we got to some hills)

Well we can sure find out. I'd really love to know exactly what to expect with the Puma before I consider buying one. At 1/3rd the weight, that's the cat for my next, off-road bike. But I'll be durn surprised if the Puma beats the x5 at any time other than right off the line. With all that mass, the x5 stays cucumber-cool even at 3000 watts up hills.

ha ha but no thats very impressive, its nice to see your bike clean again

That vid was from 3 months ago. It's since accrued great gobs more dirt. :)

Ive a dream...silver dream machine....look out the music as well would go nice on your next video

I've purposely avoided music because I wanted to offer something a little different: the most "like you're really there" video possible. That's also why I make sure to have the gauges in view as much as possible.
Thanks again, do you find your controller to be reliable at 72V? I am finding them a little less than reliable at 72V

No problems at all. Max voltage is now 84 volts, and the controller's never suffered a thermal shut-off or any other hint of a problem. What problems are you seeing creep in at 72V? I was considering pushing it to 90+ volts, but I don't think I will without having the circuitry refitted with ~150V components.

Cheers again...and I want more videos get filming!! I want to see more of your lovely country!!

I'll do another film, trying to include some different scenery, when the skies brighten and it stops raining -- which may not be until April or May :)

Hi

Yupp impressive! I have been having problem with reliability with the xlyte controller at 72V on all manner of motors, they seem sensitive to back emfs from the motor at high volts, I am still investigating why, I think I will run mine with 150V fets and current limit when using 72V as 35A is too much IMHO at 72V for all my motors, need to tweak it down as a lot of the power is just getting used up in heat otherwise, need to find the sweet spot, current limiter will do that.

Looking forward to more videos from you

Cheers

Paul

Xyster

Was watching a video of one of those little reva electric cars that are all over london at the moment, I couldnt help but not compare these to runs, the guy in the this video is misguided as you cant simply take a 0-30 time and double it to get a 0-60 time as the exponential factor of wind resistance must be taken in to account.

These are cool little cars but compare your run to his you would eat it for breakfast, he has done some other nice short vids that are worth watching though.

The thing I dont like about electric cars is you still get stuck in traffic, however it beats a gas car IMHO and If i win the lotto tonight my name is on one of those lotus teslas.

Check his speed test out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLg_tDGzeo&mode=user&search=

Knoxie

Thanks for that Knox. Yeah, he needs a lil' physics lesson. Not only will wind resistance much more than double the time to twice the speed, but so will the back EMF from the motor.

His 0-30mph time was 21 seconds -- it's funny how excited he was :D about that. My 0-30mph speed with the 18S lithium pack, as shown on the video is 13 seconds. Now that my pack is 20S, I tried to video another acceleration test. But the weather didn't cooperate. I'll try again soon. I'll be excited like that if my 0-30mph is under 12 seconds. :)

Good to hear these EV's are popular in the UK. I've never been (yet) but I have family who visited. Their perception was London was more polluted than U.S. cities (but had an awesome, very clean subway system) -- if true, perhaps that's due to the higher population and industrial concentration on your little island. :)
Wish Americans would start taking EV's seriously. I think they will once serious EV SUV's hit the market.

Hi Mate

Yes your little bike is quick off the mark for sure!!! and would eat this and a lot of gas cars on acceleration! which is an amazing feat really.

Ev use is growing here, especially London, If I were to drive from my house here to London it would cost me about 70 dollars in and out including the congestion charge. I could do this in an ev for about 3 dollars! as the ev doesn't need road tax, petrol, parking fees etc so you can see why so many Londoners are going down the ev route.

We do have a clean and quick tube service here but people still love their cars for some reason, I just bought the who killed the electric car DVD yesterday and watched it again, it amazes me that movie, how something as cool as that could be crushed, its very sad, I just hope that the fuel companies remember this when China develop and sell the wonder battery! because I think it is going to happen, If the price of Lipo drops its going to be everywhere, nobody would put petrol in their cars in urban areas, think how clean the air would be then! one can only dream.

I am rambling coz i have been drinking! well its Saturday night!!

Please post some more videos of your bike and you riding it as soon as the weather gets better!!

Stay Safe my friend

Knoxie

Back