GoldenMotor MP3 in Trek 2013 29er, great combo!

radoCol

1 W
Hi

I want to share my ebike experience with you. I dreamed about an ebike such a long time and finally I did it! I bought a totally new mtb because of my 10 years mtb was so bad to drive. I choose the Trek 2013 Marlin because I loved to drive it. I like uplifted driving position and 29er wheels are also great.

I ordered the ebike kit from Golden Motor China and I choose the MP3 with 48V/10Ah battery. I made my choise because of:
- integrated controller, easier to install and maybe "cleanier look" for my bike
- "big" motor, should have a good torque
- thin motor, should be able to use 7 or 8 speed casette
- I wanted to make stealth look so I have battery in my backpack

Everything is working very well without big problems. I have less than 100 km so far so I can't tell you more. I will post more reviews of the bike when I gain more experience. I did short video for you, enjoy... https://vimeo.com/57394117 :lol: BTW...max speed is about 48 km/h but I limited the speed because I live in Finland. Even with the limited speed the bike feels quite powerfull. I don't know the driving distance yet...

Thanks,
-rado

radoCol said:
Hi

I want to share my ebike experience with you. I dreamed about an ebike such a long time and finally I did it! I bought a totally new mtb because of my 10 years mtb was so bad to drive. I choose the Trek 2013 Marlin because I loved to drive it. I like uplifted driving position and 29er wheels are also great.

I ordered the ebike kit from Golden Motor China and I choose the MP3 with 48V/10Ah battery. I made my choise because of:
- integrated controller, easier to install and maybe "cleanier look" for my bike
- "big" motor, should have a good torque
- thin motor, should be able to use 7 or 8 speed casette
- I wanted to make stealth look so I have battery in my backpack

Everything is working very well without big problems. I have less than 100 km so far so I can't tell you more. I will post more reviews of the bike when I gain more experience. I did short video for you, enjoy... https://vimeo.com/57394117 :lol: BTW...max speed is about 48 km/h but I limited the speed because I live in Finland. Even with the limited speed the bike feels quite powerfull. I don't know the driving distance yet...

Thanks,
-rado
Congratulations - looks great! Has to be a bit scary riding on all the snow/ice at speed - you guys have "real Winter" for sure! It's near the end of January and for most of the month the weather has been 40-50 deg F (warm) in New Jersey (not that I am complaining mind you!)
Good luck on the new bike!

geeeyejo1 said:
Congratulations - looks great! Has to be a bit scary riding on all the snow/ice at speed - you guys have "real Winter" for sure! It's near the end of January and for most of the month the weather has been 40-50 deg F (warm) in New Jersey (not that I am complaining mind you!)
Good luck on the new bike!

Thanks,

It's grazy slippery here in Finland! My favorite is to drive like grazy and then do the full brake (back wheel) until the bike slides sideways. OMG it's so fun to put leg on the snowy road and feel the speed then let it slide when doing turnings :D

-rado

Haha - sounds like fun! I am still waiting for my battery (shipping from China) - My bike has been built and sitting in my basement for the past month waiting! Maybe by the time my battery arrives I will have some snow too and can do a little sliding....

i have over 3,000 miles or 4828 km on my magic pie 3. i have not had to do anything with it except charge ride and have fun. i have the internal controller and haven't had any problems with it. i have it on a trek pure comfort bike running 48v 10ah battery. no limits here in the Caribbean so i don't limit anything :D

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
Good luck your internal controller will break soon........ :x

Hi

I hope not! Please tell your story or paste link :shock: Your experience is also in key role to maintain and keeping my ride in top condition. This forum is the best, thanks to all! :D I did a lot of searching and reading what kit to choose. I spent hours in here just reading your great stories and guides!

-rado

Problems:

• The controller is not waterproof espcially in snow or rain.
    You have to protect it from water.

The traces/solderjoints at PCB for 5V are very thin, so using a wire bypass is welcome.
    But some of the controllers has aldready a bypass wire.

They use cheap 6917-2RS bearing after some miles/km's there will be some play.
    Replacing the bearing is not fun, real quality one is almost equal value as the motor.

Supllied brake levers are crap, they break after couples of ride.
    O well they are just 3USD.

Hall sensors are crappy ones you need to replace for Honeywell ones for reliability.

The cable harness at spliced point is weak, sometimes there is a circuit break.
    So better is removing the splice and soldering all wires together.

They use cheap stainless steel screws, so becarefull when removing/installing screws.

Forgot something:

• You have too look if they laced the rim properly.
    The spokes heads should faced together.
    Otherwise the spokes heads have too much play, allow to move and break.

Lacing the motor with a width rim is a problem.
    Because the motor is very small, you will create offcenter.
    So dishing is very, you will only get a few mm's clearance.

Lacing the wheel in 1X cross pattern will nipples in a bigger angle = breaking.
    So only straight lacing method is the best way.

The stock rim is without nipples eyelets, so becarefull when tightening the spokes.

Problems:

• The controller is not waterproof espcially in snow or rain.
    You have to protect it from water.

The traces/solderjoints at PCB for 5V are very thin, so using a wire bypass is welcome.
    But some of the controllers has aldready a bypass wire.

They use cheap 6917-2RS bearing after some miles/km's there will be some play.
    Replacing the bearing is not fun, real quality one is almost equal value as the motor.

Supllied brake levers are crap, they break after couples of ride.
    O well they are just 3USD.

Hall sensors are crappy ones you need to replace for Honeywell ones for reliability.

The cable harness at spliced point is weak, sometimes there is a circuit break.
    So better is removing the splice and soldering all wires together.

They use cheap stainless steel screws, so becarefull when removing/installing screws.

Thanks, I'll try to remember these tips! Here's my waterproof testing for today...I hope It'll work after drying out.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qqc6tjml4hlfzr/Snow EBike (4).jpg :wink:

Nice picture and bike 8)

But there are also good things:

• The motor can handle a lot of power.

And the torque is very good with a external controller.

Removing the internal controller create a lot of room for external wirring, so no issues for tight fiiting cable harness.

And it's small looks better than thick motor :lol:
Most of time I am faster then a car when starting up hahaha :mrgreen:

Good luck your internal controller will break soon........ :x

Thanks man, It's BROKEN NOW, fuc***g Great! Bad luck and bad quality. I can only laugh for your post, it's so SPOT ON!!! :lol:

I can see at least 470uF and 47uF caps broken. I'll change them first and hope the best. :cry: I was lucky to drive only couple of hundred meters and then control stopped to work. Once again bad Chinese quality...

I hope the FET's are ok, at least they looks ok. I will make great waterproofing for this unbelievable magic f***ing pie :lol:

GOLDEN MOTOR made miserable attempt to construct internal controller motor and it rushed it to production.
Of course GM made it look nice on outside , nice graphics which can make impression of high quality product?
Chineses brands are masters in this.
Of course you can make even 1000kms on your MP but you are for sure taking chances of breakage any moment.
Just one look at opened MP tells you all.
Internal controllers inside motors when designed and built right are superior to external ones.
External controller has to be rain-proof and dissapate heat at the same time which is hard to do.

forgot to mention
great example of systems with internal controllers are
TIDAL FORCE
EPLUS
sytems.
Both designed by Strategic Technology Group laboratories in Washington DC.
I call them "systems" for a reason, they are not collection of components /cheap as possible/ but integrated architecture in terms of electrical.
Testimony to Tidal Force durabiliy is my TF with 23,200 kilometers as of today with no major breaks. On this system you don't know what loose connector is , what broken spokes is, what overheating motor is, etc.

Yup mine broke after one test ride.
After that no more internal controller.

You have bought from GM, you should claim warranty.

Hi,

I will try. I hope I can get a new controller soon because my bike is amazing, I love it! I did driving in the quite deep snow and that was very fun. My gears stopped to work because of snow so I wasn't able to pedal so much. It was quite scary because I had to trust my motor. BTW, I don't trust anymore :oops:

Hey, which side I have to open the hub motor to see all wires and electronics? I will protect the ctrl PCBA and the stator of the motor with this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exC_pr5yRQc

-rado

You have to open at disc side.
Just open the disch mounting panel and you will see the panel for the controller.

But how did you know the caps are blown?????.....

Hi,

That's odd, no idea. Maybe they were already bad quality and it was just matter of time when this happens to me. Thanks for guide! I'll open the hub and see if there is bad wires or something. I have to also try look the water/moisture trails.

-rado

radcal,
because you rode your MAGIC PIE in snow , it broke?
Are you serious?
So it is a toy ?
well designed motor/internal controller has all kind of protections.
And it should never burn from riding in snow.
It should shut itself or it shold reduce power to the motor like on TF and Eplus.
I have been riding my TF in deep snow every winter since 2005, condition exactely like in your pictures . I ride on the thick grass covered in 20cm snow very often in winter to avoid traffic by any means.
But quality = $$$$
$3,500.

Yes the controller is nearby the axle.
So water or something else can easily damage the controller.

Yes you are right quality is USD. I have a lot of money to make this motor to my wishes.
Quality bearings 6917 (almost cry when looking to price) and 6302-2RS are on the way.

Internal controller is removed and changed for Kelly....

Yes the controller is nearby the axle.
So water or something else can easily damage the controller.

Yes, so true!

Yes you are right quality is USD. I have a lot of money to make this motor to my wishes.
Quality bearings 6917 (almost cry when looking to price) and 6302-2RS are on the way.

Internal controller is removed and changed for Kelly....

I'll try to use the internal controller. I like the idea of "hidden" controller. I have to also spend more money for to make it better!

Yes I really also like the internal controller.
Super clean look!

But I was a little bit hunger for more power :D

What kinds of mods did you made to the motor?

Not yet, I ordered better hall sensors like you :mrgreen: I will use sealing paint to make it waterproof. I ordered the protective coating spray like this...http://www.tme.eu/en/details/prf-202_220/protection-screen-coatings/prf/prf-202220/#. It's not as good as the urethane paint but it should be possible to make soldering thru it if needed. I will follow your path now...thanks for the tips :)

It was too tight to open motor, how did you open it? Hammer and force :wink:

As you mentioned it's not all that bad in this kit. I like also power, I think you like more of the speed :lol: I drove in the deep snow and it was like driving on the road without snow. Lot of power! Also uphills are so easy to drive!

-rado

Back