Volton Alation 350 and Volton Ease DLX

lordkenyon

1 mW
Hello,

About a month ago I picked up two Volton e-bikes--the Alation 350 and the Ease DLX. I'm going to start this thread as a place holder for my feedback and review of two. The Alation has been my daily commuter for the last few weeks (about 8 miles round trip) and the Ease DLX is for the girlfriend and she'll be starting to use it on her commute (about 4 miles round trip) soon.

Vendor's site links
Alation 350:
http://www.voltonbicycles.com/alation-350/
large_Alation_Silver_BlueRims.jpg

Ease DLX:
http://www.voltonbicycles.com/ease-dlx/
large_Ease_Orange.jpg

Buy vs. build:
Last summer I began to gather components to build an ebike from scratch (and I still might do so) and picked up a Specialized hardrock as the foundation. My goals and intent were clean lines, battery in the downtube, and to completely minimize the frankenbike appearance. I also wanted to balance and keep what makes a bike a bike and not have some 50mph+ quasi-motorcycle. Please don't take offense to my thoughts here, I've seen some amazing bikes on ES--I just prefer to keep the lines as clean as possible and it relatively discreet. I made it as far as stripping it completely down to the frame and clearing the bare metal (I liked the metal/silver look), replacing the fork, brakes, pedals, and other various components as I started to prep it for it's transformation. Needless to say, I got incredibly busy with travel for work and the project was sidelined to the portion of the garage with the other half-completed projects.

A inspiration bike would be something like the Specialized Turbo seen here:
specialized-turbo-bike-xl.jpg

My interest began to renew a few months ago and I decided the cleanest frame I could find under the Turbo's seven grand price tag (not to mention skirting import laws to get it to the US) was the Stromer. Stromer is a Swiss design, but still a Taiwan-made bike with admittedly some quality components. It's retail begins around $2799 and used is still in the +$2k range. The build decision seemed to be growing, but after a lot of googling I came across Volton's site. The Alation seemed to share some of the design characteristics as the Stromer, but lacked some of the refinement and some of the cost.

There's not a lot of information on the company or bikes, but there is this questionable thread here on ES: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42985. And there's also a video review and more info on electric bike review on the Alation 500 (the 500W model) http://electricbikereview.com/volton/alation-500/. I also noticed that Volton was selling these on eBay and Amazon without much feedback yet.

So without a lot of information, I began an email exchange with Joe Marchfield (owner) at Volton and his support staff with lots of questions. About 30 emails and a few phone calls later, I felt comfortable to move forward on both bikes. I'm going to write mostly about the Alation as that's been the commuter, but I'll add more about the Ease DLX as we have and use it more.

The Delivery and Bikes:
We received the bikes via FedEx Ground to SoCal about a four days after ordering (they're from Chicago). The bikes come in a large, single box each and are pretty much fully assembled. The front wheel is off, the handlebars are removed from the stem, and the fenders are off. All the rest of the bits and pieces are in place. The Alation was in pretty good shape, but the Ease had a few issues on delivery. A scratch on the frame where it wasn't fully wrapped around the battery case, a missing brake pad, the front disc was bent a bit, and the stem bolt-hole was not fully tapped, so it ended up stripping out the odd 7m bolt. (Long story, but bolt is a Chinese-only type of thing--not available anywhere). I contacted Volton support and they were very apologetic and sent out a new stem, disc, and made up for the damage. Obviously the stem still has the odd 7m bolt, however, this one was much better so no issues. So plus one for Volton's support and handling of this issue.

Went over the bikes and adjusted the derailleurs and brakes. Pretty straightforward.

The Alation 350:
The Alation 350 has a Bafang BPM 350W rear hub motor and a 36V 11ah Samsung battery. I've rearranged some of the handlebar configuration as I've found I prefer the pedal assist control closer to the grip so that you don't have to remove your hand to change it with your thumb. Previously, the bell was in the way--it got relocated to the right side. I also removed the cheap taillight and replaced it with the Planet Bike Turbo 1W. The controller doesn't have a name, but I've added a pic below with some basic info. The charger is also generic and has a small phono connection. Have noticed the pedal sensor is just on the inside of the front chainring. It's pretty good, but takes about an eight of a pedal before it kicks in.

I'll add some more precise measurements and pics when I get a chance. But the standover height is about 30.75 inches from the ground to the lowest point of the toptube and it's 20" from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat post. The seat tube itself is about 18"; however, there's an extra couple of inches due to the larger downtube where the controller is housed. Volton calls it a "medium", but I'd probably call it closer to a large as most people would think of it. Compared to my Cannondale F300 "medium" frame, it's a few inches larger all the way around. Volton currently only offers this size. I've seen many similar frames on Alibaba but haven't seen this exact one yet.

It does look like it'd be a good candidate to use a 24" wheelset. While the existing front fork is designed for the 26", it uses mechanical disks so no issues there. For the rear you'd have a couple of choices--either use the existing motor and build out a new wheel or for not much more order a second motor and build out the wheelset using that so it could be easily interchanged if desired. Ground clearance would become a bit of a concern, so exact measurements are needed, but depending on the tires/rims chosen, you could tweak this fairly easily.

The paint quality, welds, and finish are pretty good but it's still a Chinese-made bike that you'll probably end up upgrading a few things on. I've already ordered new grips, a horn/bell upgrade, and a CREE headlight and DC-DC convertor to work with the new headlamp. The battery and controller are not secured other than by pressure inside of the downtube. I also noticed that there are some sharp edges in there that if not attended too may lead to fraying or other issues. I'll be adding some grommets and tape as necessary to help secure things and make them a bit more durable. I'm not going to be looking into any mods or significant changes as I want to keep the warranty intact. Other than a triangle bag, not much else needed on this one.

I've used the speedometer app on my iPhone (so GPS) to clock it and it seems to peak around 20mph on the flats and then 20+ with pedaling. I have a few gradual hills and inclines in my commute and it handles these fairly easily. There is not much refinement however in the PAS mode, so basically, you're using a combination of being in medium or high and the throttle to keep things smooth and quick. The low setting on PAS is basically non-existant. I think I hear it doing something, but with the weight and power, it has basically no effect.

I've picked up one flat so far in the commute--huge rusty nail through the rear and determined it's a bit of a PITA to change out the tube. (This is true on any bike for the rear, but hadn't dealt with the ebike wires before complicating it.) It's not a quick release either obviously, so I'm now carrying mountain bike fix-a-flat thing in the triangle bag. Should mention too that the bikes came with a small multitool kit that I've thrown in as well. It's not a top shelf item, but is small and would work in a pinch.

The controller:
controller.jpg

Handlebars:
handlebars.jpg

Rear wheel/motor:
alation_motor.jpg

Downtube:
alation_downtube.jpg

Charger:
charger.jpg

Freewheel:
cassette.jpg

Motor Detail - Top line: BPM 36V 26(11)
motor+detail.jpg

Battery length:
battery+size.jpg

Battery width:
battery+width.jpg

Battery bottom (I added the bit of foam to help secure it against the controller):
battery+bottom.jpg

Battery Sticker:
battery.jpg

Key and Charger:
key+and+charger.jpg

The Ease DLX:
Not much to say here yet, but after the replacement parts came in, everything buttoned up well. It has the same Bafang BPM 350W motor and controller as the Alation above, but right now seems a bit smoother. The battery here is an external, removable one, but is rated for the same 36V 11ah as above too. It comes with a rear rack that we've added a Basil Cento Rear Basket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FGFL02) to. The basket is a bit large, but doesn't look out of place on the larger framed Ease. It has a much more upright riding positon and the step-through design makes it a bit easier for on/off (especially for the g/f). The included taillight is useless but built into the rack, so I left it on. I added another Planet Bike Turbo 1W to the back of the basket for better visibility. The head light is the same as the Alation and will probably be upgraded as well pending how mine works out.

The Ease DLX and the basket:
ease+dlx.jpg

The two bikes seem to be pretty evenly matched in terms of pickup and speed. Considering they have the same motor and controller, this isn't surprising.

I'll add more detail and pics as time goes on, but hopefully this will help anyone who might be looking into these.

The controller in that closeup pic looks very much like teh one Fusin uses with their new motor (yeah, most controllers look a lot a like, I know):
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877
file.php

Cant' see the motor well enough to see if it is more similar than it appears in the images so far.

amberwolf said:
Cant' see the motor well enough to see if it is more similar than it appears in the images so far.

I added a detailed photo of the motor--it's the Bafang 8FUN BPM 36V 26(11). Also added a few more photos too.

Nice review. Is it easy to remove the battery on the alation? Can it be charged bothon and off the bike?

jana said:
Nice review. Is it easy to remove the battery on the alation? Can it be charged bothon and off the bike?

Thanks. I'll add some pics with the battery cover off and details there too. Yes, the bottom of the battery has two connections an XLR type of screw on connector and a basic dc plug tip for charging. There's essentially an internal extension cord that plugs into the charger port of the battery pack and runs up to the top of the downtube beside where the key is (right hand side). I've only charged it on the bike, but does seem like it would be easy to charge off as well. There's also some additional room at the top of the downtube where you might be able to stick the tool kit or additional batteries.

I suspect in a year or so when this is out of warranty or hits end of life on the batteries, I'll look into upgrading then and explore what could fit in there. I'll take some measurements too for anyone who's interested.

350 watts for a motor is pretty weak. I go up hills all the time and you need at least 500 watt to notice the difference.

nice review and look's like a nice commuter bike.enjoy and i am sure you will make it up the hill"s just fine.

jana said:
Thanks. Pictures of battery and connector would be interesting.

Added some detailed pics of the battery, dimensions, and the key/charger area. I added the foam padding at the bottom of the battery and cleaned up a lot of the wiring with zip ties and some electrical tape. Seems to be much better protected now.

slacker said:
nice review and look's like a nice commuter bike.enjoy and i am sure you will make it up the hill"s just fine.

Thanks; it's going pretty well so far. I'll use one of the bike or running apps to figure out my elevation/rise on the commute. I haven't taken it on huge hills yet, but doesn't seem to have any issues on the commute. Granted I'm fairly trim so not adding a lot to the weight and I don't mind pedaling to help.

Thanks for the update. Do you think it would be practical/easy to remove the battery every night for charging indoors? Too cold to charge outside in winter where I live.

jana said:
Thanks for the update. Do you think it would be practical/easy to remove the battery every night for charging indoors? Too cold to charge outside in winter where I live.
Very easily done. The cover is held on with a keyed cylinder lock on the bottom and comes off easily. The battery just slides out. You would have to unscrew the XLR connector and disconnect the charger extension cord on the bottom of the battery and then plug those back in when reinstalling, but the whole process would probably take a minute or two.

Thanks for the Review.

The "El Legs" looks like a budget Specialized Turbo :wink:
http://www.voltonbicycles.com/el-legs/ $1600

large_EL_Legs_Red.jpg

Nusse said:
Thanks for the Review.

The "El Legs" looks like a budget Specialized Turbo :wink:
http://www.voltonbicycles.com/el-legs/ $1600

Definitely does. I think if I finish my Specalized Hardrock build, I'm going to use that type of controller and battery mount so should end up with a pretty similar look the the "El legs."

So a quick update on the Alation: It was questioned on the other thread about the effectiveness of the rear fender and I found today that I have to agree that there's some issues with its viability. Wasn't raining but had been most of the night and the roads were quite wet this morning. The spray pattern from the rear wheel pretty much soaks the rider and the fender is useless--needless to say, drove to work today.

Lessss said:
Why aren't the other fenders functional?

Draw a line from the tire to the first object the water will encounter. That is the path the water will follow.
file.php

I'll either be adjusting the finder or more likely, replacing it summarily.

So decided that while I'm doing new fenders, I'd put on some tires with a bit less rolling resistance for the Alation. These are Planet Bike Cascadia full fenders and Michelin City Tire with Protek Plus and Reflective Sidewalls (26x1.85) that replaced the Kenda 26 X 1.95 stock ones.

Fenders:
fenders.jpg

Front:
front+fender.jpg

Rear:
rear+fender1.jpg

I also decided to upgrade the grips as I mentioned. The stock ones are cheap generic Chinese ones that are pretty hard and slippery. Replaced with inexpensive Sram's

Grips (110mm on left and 60mm on right):
grip.jpg

Might've noticed the headlight is also removed and I've upgraded to a Cree (XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KUXRAW):
headlamp.jpg

Right now, the headlamp isn't powered by the main battery; I'm using the pack that came with it. There's actually plenty of room for the pack above the stock battery in the downtube, so I've placed it there and ran the connection into it so that there's not a battery pack strapped on someplace and I don't have to worry about taking it with me.

nice NOT to have battery above rear wheel = much more stable.
It is not a Stromer but it has battery in exact same place
So geared, good for you for exercising

miro13car said:
nice NOT to have battery above rear wheel = much more stable.
It is not a Stromer but it has battery in exact same place
So geared, good for you for exercising

Definitely better on the balance. Also about 90% of people at my office didn't realize it was an ebike so guess the stealth factor is pretty good.

I'm anxious to check out a Stomer in person to see how it stacks up. With the price difference you could upgrade nearly all the components of the Alation and still be under the Stromer in terms of price. From what I've read the Stomers are now Chinese/Taiwanese made so depending on the QA processes these two might be more similar than thought. One main difference in the frame is that the Stromer is a side load battery (and proprietary), whereas the Alation is a top load on the downtube and uses a fairly standard pack. I definitely would not go far as to call it a knock off, but it shares a similar design.

Have to say that 350 is a sweet looking bike for the money.

I uderstand Bafang on you ebike is geared.
Notice that STROMER is DirectDrive /no internal gears/ hub , so there are two different ebike "animals" to me.
Gears always create noise more or less.
Stromer is dead silent.
And quality?
Volton is in different class if it comes to quality.
I rode on Suntour XCR - terrible cheap fork.
Shortly there a reason for the price.

miro13car said:
I uderstand Bafang on you ebike is geared.
Notice that STROMER is DirectDrive /no internal gears/ hub , so there are two different ebike "animals" to me.
Gears always create noise more or less.
Stromer is dead silent.
And quality?
Volton is in different class if it comes to quality.
I rode on Suntour XCR - terrible cheap fork.
Shortly there a reason for the price.

Had a chance to check out a Stromer in person a couple of weeks ago in person and as I mentioned earlier in the review, the components seem to make a large part of the difference. That said you could replace the fork and motor and still be close to half the cost of the Stromer I would suspect. Probably important to note that the "street" price of the Volton's consistently appear to be less than the list price on their site, eBay, or Amazon. As you can tell too, I've been slowly upgrading components (granted, minor ones) but it seems like a fairly good compromise compared to the cost of the Stromer. After the warranty is out on the Alation, I may consider a few more upgrades like the motor and battery. (As a side note, how great of a fork do you really need for basic commuting?)

Most recent addition was the change of the stem to a 25 degree Avenir stem for $20 to make it a little less lean/reach to the handlebars. Not upright, but not a full on downhill/lean either. (For reference, it needs to be the 80mm stem.) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BW39CQ I've also added a 36V horn wired to the existing light switch (where the light was removed), but I'm not too satisfied with the output of that, so prob back off soon.

I'll post a more thorough update/review now that it's been a few months with it and outline total costs too when I get a chance soon.

yes
on other hand you are doing it right.
It only makes sense to upgrade components on ebike when drive/hub or other/ is reliable.
Once you have reliable electric drive and can live with geared hub /I cannot - it must be dead silent/ you started replacing components for better ones which is right path I must say.

I bought an Alation 500 last month.

I'm happy with the bike, and it performs better than I expected. It has had a few updates since the online reviews were written: better fenders, newer controller with 5 levels, different charger, silicone rim around battery compartment, easier battery removal, and, it is available in White. I've tinkered with handlebar layout, moved the display to the center, and replaced grips, pedals, tires (Schwalbe Big Apple), stem, and seat, but nothing unexpected, just the stuff you do to any new bike.

EldRick said:
I bought an Alation 500 last month.

I'm happy with the bike, and it performs better than I expected. It has had a few updates since the online reviews were written: better fenders, newer controller with 5 levels, different charger, silicone rim around battery compartment, easier battery removal, and, it is available in White. I've tinkered with handlebar layout, moved the display to the center, and replaced grips, pedals, tires (Schwalbe Big Apple), stem, and seat, but nothing unexpected, just the stuff you do to any new bike.

I think the 500s have a few more upgrades than the 350s. I know when I ordered the pedal assist had five levels and a better screen/display. I enquired about upgrading to just the better display, but they didn't really offer it as an option. I'd love to see some of the other details like the silicone rim for the battery area. Post some or start a thread on the 500 if you'd like!

The Volton shown, the Stromer ST1, and the Specialized Turbo all have a form-fitted battery in a rectangular downtube. I like that all three have the opening for the battery on the top (instead of the side/bottom), because it provides the option for the factory or a third party to make a triangle pack that snaps into the normal place.

if any Voton Alation owners are curious about the insides of the motor, here are some pics of a Bafang BPM breakdown:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51237

Here's a third Volton thread (so the 3 biggest Volton threads are all linked) http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53356

Back