my ampedbike kit review

turoczi

1 W
ok.. So I test rode a ton of kits and they were all very similar and one night while looking on another forum people were talking about amped and had a link

So I found ampedbikes.com took a chance and bought a 36v 500w brushless kit. The kit itself has really nice double wall rims with heavy guage spokes and came packaged really tidy. I installed it on my Giant Mtn bike but I didnt have any batteries!!

At first I was just going to buy lead acid but the kit is really nice so I didnt want to ruin a good thing so I ordered a set of Lifepo4 from Yesa off of ebay and when it arrived I realized I had ordered a 48V by mistake, I was going to return it for 36V but I got over excited and wanted to try it. I went ahead and installed the 48v battery, made sure everything was setup right and went for a ride. WHOA lol.. I didnt expect this kind of smooth power. I was still worried about the overvolting and asked around on a couple forums and my speed controller and hub never even get warm. I emailed amped and they said they are over engineered but they will not warranty my kit of I overvolt it because of the speed and liability issues.

I get a max speed of around 32 mph ( i dont ride that fast normally) smooth as silk, I have almost 800 miles on it so far and I couldnt be happier. I have been riding it back and forth to work every day and long 35-45 mile trips on weekends.

So as far as my review... The kit was $285 but shipping was a little high at $39.95. Over all I like it better than the crystalyte I rode and If it had the electronic LCD screen like the bionx does I would like it the same as the bionx.

I heard there is an add on you can buy, a lcd screen that tells all battery info, how many amps your pulling and a lot of other stuff that I want to also buy. But I couldn't be happier.

There is a huuuuge hill on my way to work and it pulls me up it like a rocket, there are always other guys on bikes looking at me like WTH? lol they must not know its electric.

so I give it 9/10 stars :mrgreen:

Great review. I've read their kits have double-walled rims. It's good to hear this confirmed. Now if only they sold rear-rim kits...

The crystalyte I rode werent double walled rims. I wanna say it was a journey kit but I dont remember the model.

With some vendors asking $600 for the same kit i paid $350 for in may, that amped kit is looking good. Especially if he can deliver at all.

ampedbike.com says: "We will reply to all emails within 24 hours."

I send them two e-mail with questions 5 day ago .... No answers...

Does somebody knows what happend with them ?

We are here, just overwhelmed at the moment.. Re submit your question. I answer all questions daily, unsure how yours got missed, unless you were one of the guys looking for shipping to AUS , Germany or the UK

Danny Ray
http://www.ampedbikes.com

Thanks for the review

Do you know how many amps your pulling?

Is is immediate start of pedal first?

Anyone else using this kit.....especially the new one. I'm considering it and would like to know how it holds up....especially the 48v thingy.

TPA said:
Anyone else using this kit.....especially the new one. I'm considering it and would like to know how it holds up....especially the 48v thingy.

I've got a couple of these on the way. I'm planning to test them at 36v, and then upgrade to 48v lithium packs once I'm confident everything is working properly at 36V. I expect to get started mid-September, and will post all results here.

"So as far as my review... The kit was $285 but shipping was a little high at $39.95. Over all I like it better than the crystalyte I rode and If it had the electronic LCD screen like the bionx does I would like it the same as the bionx."

They're at $360 now....quite a jump for a little over a month on the shelves...

Has anyone tried one of these with a 36V battery?

Can you give some details, like how many volts you are running, how long you have been using it, your impressions of how it sounds, feels, looks, does it run hot, how fast you go at your voltage, quality of materials in motor and rim....it would sure be appreciated :D

Hi, I was running 48V, now Im running 36V ( I was trying to connect my Lifepo4 pack to a different charger and I think I blew my BMS)

So for now Im running 36V getting between 19-21 mph. Good torque. Rims still true as when I got it.

Ive got almost 2k miles on it, no problems still happy.

BTW.. I think what happened with the prices is that I got mine at the cost of their origional kit which was a cheap Goldenmotors kit. I bought it before their website was revamped.

Either way I would have gladly paid much more. for 2k Miles in my car it would have cost me $570 So it basically paid for itself in under 2 months.

Ohh and I feel different somehow!!??? When I ride my bike to work it somehow makes my day better if that makes any sense.

"Can you give some details, like how many volts you are running, how long you have been using it, your impressions of how it sounds, feels, looks, does it run hot, how fast you go at your voltage, quality of materials in motor and rim....it would sure be appreciated :D"

36V, previously 48V. No heat at 48V even on hills...Been using it since mid June. It sounds and feels solid, smooth, plenty of power. I havent taken it apart so I dont know the quality of parts inside. Rim is Aluminum good quality. But overall It is better than any kit I have ridden so far. (except maybe Bionx becuse of their cool lcd handlebar gadget) Just a really good setup.

BTW,, I have been carrying my laptop to work with me over my shoulder. Does anyone know of some kind of a pannier pack or some easier way to carry my laptop bag? If not Ill get one of those Backpacks.

You can buy a (courier style) laptop bag which clips rather neatly onto a rear pannier rack (or at least you could in the UK 5 years ago) - sorry - I don't have a web supplier, bought it from my local bike shop. Only problem with it is that the clips dig into your back when you're carrying it - I guess I've probably still got it somewhere if you're really keen - send me a PM (although postage from UK might be hefty) - I ended up going with a backpack from http://www.booqbags.com/ in the end - I've had it 3 years and it's showing no sign of wear after using it every day.

Yeah thats the type of backpack I was looking for!

I was really interested in the pannier packs, but I have a pretty expensive laptop.. For my low income bracket that is lol..

I kept thinking about the 3 curbs I usually jump off of on my bike on the way to and from work and I could stop thinking about my laptop falling out or something bad hhappening to it if it were to fall out of a pannier bag.. At least if its on my back I feel like its a little safer.

turoczi,

The big hill you mentioned, how big is it? Do you know the length and elevation change? How does the bike handle it at 36V instead of 48V?

My ampedbikes rear wheel kit has been ordered and I wonder about a hill near me.

I attached a picture of one of the hills. at 36V it still drags me up it but I have to pedal harder. At 48V I pretty much flew up it. Before I had the motor I used to ride up til my legs went rubber then walked my bike up another mile lol.molin.JPG

Its one of those looong drawn out hills thats goes on forever. About a mile and a half I would guess. There is another steeper one but it is only about 1/2 mile.
For reallly steep hills I saw an austrailian motor kit on ebay that connects to your chain and uses all your gears. All the reviews I read were how cheapy and inefficient it was but it can pull straight up.

So what happens if you don't pedal at all? Does the bike eventually slow to a near stop?

Well, I wouldnt put that kind of strain on my motor, but Im sure thats what would happen. Mopeds cant make it up this hill so I dont want to try it lol

turoczi said:
Ohh and I feel different somehow!!??? When I ride my bike to work it somehow makes my day better if that makes any sense.

Makes sense to me, I get the same feeling. 14 months ago I decided I wanted to cut my carbon footprint, started leaving my beautiful convertible in the garage and riding an ebike instead. I don't know if it is the morning exercise (which I typically hate) or not fighting traffic (I take a longer route the back roads through suburban streets) but I feel joyous while riding and have a happy glow all day.

I ride home for lunch too, commuting a total of 22-30 miles (depending on errands) and have a nice beachfront ride every night. I've lost 37lbs in the process, without changing my diet - and I feel nicely tired at the end of the day (similar to an apres' ski glow) without ever feeling like I'm exercising. Good for the environment, good for my health, and good for the economy - ebikes are an all-around win.

-JD

I have been trying to put my finger on it and for me anyways, I think it kind of makes me feel like I did when I was a kid of 13-14 its kind of a carefree adventure each way to work and back. I know it sounds kinda corny but at work I feel like I have the secret of youth and feeling good and Im one up on everyone else there.

corny but true lol

turoczi said:

That's normal. Cars are no fun unless you're racing them. I can't wait to get my bike fixed so I can ride it some more. I wanna see if I can really go 35 miles without pedalling now. :D

Back