Water Bottle Battery .. bmsbattery.com

Ypedal

Staff member
Going back many years now, the first time i saw one of these was from Amped.. since then.. many variations of this Water Bottle Battery have shown up online, containing various cells, BMS and chargers, with all sorts of options.....

So, on September 8, 2013 i ordered one from bmsbattery.com ... against my better judgment.. given the feedback form many ES members... but the price was low enough at 180$ including charger, that i was willing to give it a shot.

After a few weeks of waiting, i got on their site and tracked the Fedex number, says it was picked up, then cancelled.... so i inquired via their online store, was given another tracking number.. this one showed " picked up " .. on September 27 ! .. daym....

Finally arrived on October 15

Attachments

• wbb1.JPG
    wbb1.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 4,981
I love getting new stuff, it's like Christmas, you know what's inside but want to play with it real bad...

Box is in ok shape, i've gotten much worse before, open it up.. :

wbb2.JPG

Could have been filled a bit more, the extra parts i ordered were bouncing around in there.. a headlight and some torque arms.. but all things considered, all look fairly good.

the battery was wrapped in many layers of foam padding .

Attachments

• wbb3.JPG
    wbb3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,977
On/off switch..
View attachment 4

Charge port, nice rubber boot to keep water out, not a big fan of flimsy DC plug but at 2 amps, it's .. ok... too bad water will pour in from the voltage indicator thing at the top of the pack...
wbb10.JPG

And the key lock..:
wbb11.JPG

Let's you lock and unlock the pack, and you can remove the key when locked, this i like, some packs require the key to remain in the lock to turn the pack " on " making it vulnerable to being hit/kicked or knocked if the bike tips over.

This pack slides on/off the mounting plate from the side, not the top, a good thing if the pack is a tight fit in your frame's triangle... this is the one thing that made me buy it..
wbb12.JPG

Neat feature, this pack has a USB plug, if it works, certainly cool to top off a cell phone or GPS battery etc.. unfortunately, it's hidden away when the pack is mounted to the rack.. so only usable while off the bike.
wbb13.JPG

So this Batt is like 36v 8Ah? Some clear 100% silicon applied over the entire indicator with a small craft brush using a circular brush stroke should prevent water entering at the LED indicator while still allowing you to see the LED color.

I was thinking something similar but doing it from the back side, silicone seal the unit from under the cap.... more on that later.

The batter ships without Discharge wires, not sure of the logic behind that one, maybe a way to blame the user if the pack don't work.. .. hmm..

wbb14.JPG

Easy task, i soldered and shrink wrapped some silicone with and andersons on there... presto.
wbb15.JPG

Update?

Ypedal said:
Charged it up, then ran a discharge test at 3 amps using my LBD..

I stopped the test at 7ah....

spec says 10.4ah ..

I did not want to take this thing to LVC until i open it up and probe cell voltages to see where the BMS kicks in....that.. is a tomorrow thing ! 8)

Thanks for the review/pictures...

I ordered one from alibaba....Hope it turn up soon... 3 weeks and still have not shipped the battery.

I am in bed reading your review thread via my ipad and quite enjoying it.
I too am interested in the internal construction and total Ah etc, but I guess you will get to that soon.
I now demand you post an update immediately for my own personal entertainment. (With pics)

Any idea what the other terminals are for? Current only on those two?

Spot welds look fair, no burn-thru's that i can see, some packs i've worked on had strips partially blown out from bad welds.... looks like the plates are pressed and made for the bottle cups.. i like the concept..

wbb25.JPG

Pack is being charged now for a full discharge test tomorrow !.

Back