Izip E3 Dash - A big disappointment

Dashman

1 µW
Boy, I really fell for all the glaring reviews and bought me one of these Dashes when it first came out. At first I was pretty excited, being that this was my first ebike. From what I read, Currie was the company to go with because they have been around for a while. And the Dash with it's hub motor would be a failure free way to go. Well, all the excitement is gone and I really wish I would have gone with another electric bike, even if it cost me more.
At first, it was the intermittent behavior of the pedal assist. It works for a while and then it goes away. At another forum where they have a section dedicated to Izip bikes, numerous people have experienced this and end up chasing poor connector problems.
Then, they have this bottom bracket which has wires coming out of it through a small hole. The problem is the BB is not keyed and is held from rotating only by the end caps. If the BB rotates, then the wires will be severed and you lose your torque and cadence signals.
But, the biggest problem now is all the motor failures the Dash and Path + are having. They share the same motor. Apparently, the magnets are coming off the hub and in some cases it sounds like the motor might be seizing up. To make things worse, several people have the motors replaced only to have the new motor fail also.
It's to the point now I'm afraid to ride my bike because I worry about what the next failure will be.
It's very discouraging!!

what you describe here about BB with sensor wires and the cheap motor is consistent with this review :

http://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/947832-frustrated-new-izip-purchase.html
cheap no name components does not last long.

I have an E3 Dash and I've had a problem with it, but am so far not turned off on the bike or the manufacturer. I had to replace the bottom bracket torque sensor after it failed with frayed wires, and will probably have the rear wheel replaced in order to prevent the magnet glue failure. The replacements have been / will be free, and haven't / won't require any significant down time since my bike shop is near by and pretty capable. I haven't seen Currie post here, but someone from Currie has been very active on bike forums and is making the best of the situation in considerate, nearly generous ways. See this thread on electricbikereview.com.

0o0o I'm famous! Yes that's my Thread on EBR and I'm on my 2nd motor (which is holding up fine) And I had to have the BBTS replaced as well. I will be getting one of the new motors with a better bonding agent on it as well. I was like OP, really disappointed in the bike after failures, but the Customer Service I received directly from Curry was Top Notch. But now that the bike is running flawness it's exactly what I wanted and am happy with the bike.

... and two+ years later... IZIP E3 Dash Electric Bike Review Part 2: Ride & Range Test [VIDEO]:
http://electricbikereport.com/izip-e3-dash-electric-bike-review-part-2-ride-range-test-video/

[youtube]RTUW6CCy078[/youtube]

Towards the end of the article, reviewer states:
Overall the 28 mph IZIP E3 Dash offers a smooth and solid ride feel with a lot of useful features for a nice price point of $2,599.

It is a versatile commuter for flying around town during the week while being a great touring eBike for enjoying the sights and sounds of the countryside on the weekend.

Back