World Rdcord e-Bike Ride Now at 13,000klms

Forum members may remember late in 2014/early 2015 the thread I posted about planning a self-contained long distance tour in the UK and Europe in an attempt to set a new world e-bike long distance record.

After finally setting out from London in late April, my wife, Rachel, and I have now clocked up 13,000kms cycling through 11 countries and are currently in the south of Portugal and are still cycling on our Haibike xDuro Trekking RX e-bikes.

With the current record of 16,047kms - set by a German who circumnavigated Australia in 2012 - now well within our sights, we have decided to continue cycling, with our target now a minimum of 22,000kms by August 2016.

After that who knows, but a lot of planning is currently going into possibly continuing our long distance ride in the USA.

During the course of our travels many, many people have emailed us to ask how our Haibikes have performed and if we are going to review them. All too often you read so-called in-depth reviews of a product after a weekend or maybe one or two weeks of use at the most. That is not our style and that is why we have waited for so long and so many kilometres to do a “real” review of our Haibikes.

Anyone interested can read the review here http://ebikecycletourists.com/e-bike-cycle-tourists-haibike-xduro-rx-trekking-electric-bike-review/

So far so good. It has been an amazing journey,a fantastic adventure and best of all there is lots more to come.

Truly amazing.
You didnt have any mechanical problems with BOSH for over 20 000 kilometers ???
I encourage you to ride more into Eastern Europe.

Great review. Very interesting. I have my first ebike which is a bafang on a giant hybrid, I only get 40km distance and only travelled 1200km around Melbourne on it, but I have considered going long distance and your experience is a good motivation. I already have a Travoy trailer as well.

You should also consider riding around Japan, that is my long term ambition. Not only is it incredibly safe, there are public onsen in many places so you can camp but still stay clean everyday. There is a TV series, you can find some episodes on torrent sites: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/special/cycle_around_jpn.html

Alan B said:
What is the chain life and maintenance used for such a trip?

Seen on that FacePlant site thingee:
We have also organised an arrangement with Taiwanese cycle chain manufacturers Taya Chain to test ride their range of long life cycle chains when we resume our ride. With a stated range of 7000kms per chain we can't wait to get them on our Haibike xDuro Trekking e-bikes after going through 8 chains on each bike over the past 16 months.

This all shows how hard mid drives are on bicycle drive train.
On my DD hub I still have original chain after over 15 000 kilometers !!!

Back