Is this 1500W VooDoo HooDoo MTB e-bike worth £1533?

minime

100 mW
I cannot tell from the picture but make sure it has torque arm's as that say's it has a aluminum frame. look's pretty good though.

Hardtail blows at speed. In general, you don't want a hardtail ebike period. Even a crappy rear suspension is miles better than none.

Batteries are cheap. If they weren't they would brag on the cell they used.

Mostly, though, it's pretty hugely overpriced for what you get. But, since you continue to make forum threads asking the same question and expecting to receive a different answer, go ahead and buy it so we can move on to the next step: when you either give up ebiking or decide you need something better.

flat tire said:
Hardtail blows at speed. In general, you don't want a hardtail ebike period. Even a crappy rear suspension is miles better than none.

Mostly, though, it's pretty hugely overpriced for what you get. But, since you continue to make forum threads asking the same question and expecting to receive a different answer, go ahead and buy it so we can move on to the next step: when you either give up ebiking or decide you need something better.
This is the first thread I've created about that particular bike.

It is not easy to answer questions like this.

It appears to have a torque arm on one side only. I prefer to see arms on both sides with alloy frames.

I don't see the controller, it appears they have put it in a nylon bag which reduces airflow. They are going for looks over performance.

Do they have brake cutoffs?

Hardtails are adequate for low speeds. Cheap bike suspensions are not that worthwhile. Good suspensions on bikes are quite expensive and reduce battery space and increase bike weight. Above 20 mph you may want that, but it costs a lot to get something useful.

I wonder how they fit a 1500W hubmotor and retained 9 speed gearing? This normally does not fit without bending the frame to widen the dropout spacing. This is dangerous to do on an alloy frame. Perhaps they had custom made wider frames. Is this likely?

Does it have a regen control?

Is it a sinewave controller?

Can you get a test ride?

Can you rent one for a few days?

What gradient can it handle without overheating?

Alan B said:
Hardtails are adequate for low speeds. Cheap bike suspensions are not that worthwhile. Good suspensions on bikes are quite expensive and reduce battery space and increase bike weight. Above 20 mph you may want that, but it costs a lot to get something useful.

Without getting into a long discussion about what's worthwhile or expensive you can get a name brand $1000+ mid range full suspension MTB that's several years old for $300 or so using classifieds like Craigslist. At worst you might have to rebuild the dampers but imo even totally blown dampers on a decent full susp is miles better than a non suspended bike. Let's simplify, and we get one of the most useful rules of thumb for bicycle ownership: basically, if money is at all an issue for you and you're buying a bicycle new, you're probably doing it wrong. Bikes depreciate like none other and there are so many of them you can always find one to your liking on the used market.

As far as reduced battery space, yes, it is marginally less easy to stuff a fully built pack into the triangle and call it a day, but you can still fit well over 1kwh of batteries on top of the top tube and then you still have both sides of the frame to work with. So I don't buy that argument unless you're lazy.

Alan B said:

It appears to have a torque arm on one side only. I prefer to see arms on both sides with alloy frames.

I don't see the controller, it appears they have put it in a nylon bag which reduces airflow. They are going for looks over performance.

I wonder how they fit a 1500W hubmotor and retained 9 speed gearing? This normally does not fit without bending the frame to widen the dropout spacing. This is dangerous to do on an alloy frame. Perhaps they had custom made wider frames. Is this likely?

Can you get a test ride?

Lots of questions but I doubt the seller with bother answering them.

I've contacted Grin Technologies and they'll help me choose a kit. Then I'll either find someone knowledgeable to install it for me or do it myself.

Alan B said:

Can you get a test ride?

Found more info about the bike.

This is the exact conversion kit used: http://hallomotor.com/super-powerful-brushless-gearless-48v-1500w-rear-wheel-ebike-conversion-kit-with-sine-wave-controller-lcd3.html?acc=fbd7939d674997cdb4692d34de8633c4

Complete bike sold by thesmallgreenroom (UK retailer): https://www.thesmallgreenroom.com/product-page/voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-ebike
Bike is based on this conversion kit sold by thesmallgreenroom (UK retailer): https://www.thesmallgreenroom.com/product-page/1500w-electric-bike-kit-including-52w-21ah-battery-and-our-121-build-assistance

The conversion kit is based on the following:
Conversion kit from Hallomotor (Chinese retailer): http://hallomotor.com/super-powerful-brushless-gearless-48v-1500w-rear-wheel-ebike-conversion-kit-with-sine-wave-controller-lcd3.html?acc=fbd7939d674997cdb4692d34de8633c4
Battery pack from Hallomotor (Chinese retailer): http://hallomotor.com/2015-51-8v-20ah-customized-triangle-down-tube-frame-oem-cell-li-ion-battery-bms-5a-charger.html?acc=fbd7939d674997cdb4692d34de8633c4

flat tire said:

Hard tail with a suspension seat post for on road use is not that bad. There are people riding with no suspension at all.

Back