Long-distance touring with Bafang BBS02B 750W 48V

Autocycle

10 µW
Hi All,

Here's a review I wrote for my Bafang BBS02B long distance touring ebike build. It's mostly for people who are new-ish to this and curious about whether they can tour distances on an ebike. It also reviews my experience of the seller, who I know only through the purchase and without incentives. The review is based around a 600km tour that I took last week on the bike. I'm really loving the outcome, and intend to get into regular weekend micro-tours on it.

http://www.contemplativemotorcycling.blogspot.com.au/2017/11/long-distance-touring-electric-bike.html

Regards,

Matt

Right on that battery held out well for you nice having that big back up battery on hand. Im making a road ebike now and have plans on getting a 2nd battery to bridge the distances between cities.

Im trying to figure out where I can will or can charge batteries once in town. As I don't think car charging stations accommodate household plugs.

Yes, the nice thing about these is that I only have to charge overnight, given the distance they provide - but that depends on how much power you are using with your motor. It does require, of course, carrying those large chargers with you.

Ive been problem solving some issues I will have when doing a summer ride and camp scenario , I'm thinking coffee shops would be receptive to the idea of letting me charge for 4 hours after coffee and lunch. Thinking I will phone a week ahead of schedule and pre arrange charge points.

My other hope is to phone each cities city hall and ask for ideas on charging.

Increase battery cycle life

To increase the batteries lifespan add a 2nd battery connector to run two batteries in parallel so they share the drain. It would also make for faster recharging but it would be most useful to lesson the strain on the batteries $

eCue said:
Im trying to figure out where I can will or can charge batteries once in town. As I don't think car charging stations accommodate household plugs.

If you carry a laptop/tablet, many of the "free wifi" coffee shops will let you charge them for the price of a coffee or two.
Put the battery and charger in a laptop-style bag or back pack and they wouldn't know the difference.

eCue,
here in Calgary plenty of opportunity charging.
Mainly because winter and engine block heaters.
My favourite are schools and other goverment buildings

In BC I've found the Provincial "Visitor Centres" always let me charge for free. And they're usually in a pretty decent place, near a town or at the entrance to a provincial park. Also the Town/City hall in most smaller settlements are a good place to check, unlikely anyones going to have a problem with that either.

Once you get north/east of Kamloops you'll start to find engine block heater plugs, but they're not always energized in the summer.

Never thought of the visitor center in each city. Bonus is like you say they are usually located near city entrances. I'm now likely to use the visitor centers in the future , great tip there.
Churches are usally closed these days but their sockets may have power , so i'll add Churches to the mix.

Back