$300 Hobby King Ebike (Battery in hub!)

tomtom50

100 W
$299 for an ebike
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/electric-toad-bike-fy-5-us-ar-plug.html

Not well described at the website, it looks like an rear motor ebike. I never imagined they would mount the battery in the rear hub.
Actually a battery.jpg
But actually the battery is in the rear hub! Weird. Here is an old thread.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90801
More photos
Overall.jpg
Motor.jpg
View attachment 2
Controller.jpg
Controller mount.jpg
Build quality is fine. The Hobbyking site claims the battery has Samsung cells (36V 8.8Ah). I will probably open it to make sure. If they are genuine no way to complain considering the price.

I didn't really want a front drive, but it might good enough for my kid if the cells are genuine.

A battery like this could be cool with a mid-drive like a TSDZ2. I have a TSDZ2 and the torque sensor helps stretch the battery. 8.8Ah would be fine, I have never run my 12.8Ah battery down more than halfway.

Here are photos of the battery. The labels says the cells are Samsung, I'll consider it confirmed, I don't want to cut the heat shrink. HobbyKing claimed 8.8Ah, the labels says 10.4Ah. It is 10S 3P, that means the cells are 3450mAh, top rate cells.
DSC00391 label says Samsung.jpg
DSC00394 Weight.jpg

Yeah that's pretty light for the capacity.

Ever thought about removing the battery and putting it in the triangle?
Would help weight balance and handling quite a bit.

It tells me it's $888.18. Minimalist looking, 250w. I should think one could do better picking out a bike they like better and getting a kit they like better, all for less.

So it sure LOOKS like a front hub drive, but they say it's a rear hub drive.
Motor Type: Rear-Mounted Geared Hub, High-Speed Brushless Motor

Yep 888$ not 250. And the descriptions says the battery is built into the bicycle central frame. How could you fit 10S3P in such a small hub and at the same time find space for copper windings, magnet and planetary gear. I think this looks fishy. THe controller is also external cheap chinese clone controller.

When I looked yesterday AM, it was $299, then last night sold out @ $888. Incredible deal for $299 IMO, but I didn't need one.

Dauntless said:
It tells me it's $888.18. Minimalist looking, 250w. I should think one could do better picking out a bike they like better and getting a kit they like better, all for less.

Wow. I must have bought the last one. I'd never pay $888, it was $299.

neptronix said:
Yeah that's pretty light for the capacity.

Ever thought about removing the battery and putting it in the triangle?
Would help weight balance and handling quite a bit.
[/quote

It is 5.5 pounds hard mounted on the rear axle. With a rider on the bike the center of gravity shift if moved forward would be negligible. Direct drive motors weigh a lot more, and they handle fine. The problem with the battery in the rear hub is that means the motor is in front, and front drive is not great climbing a hill in the rain.

But it was $300, free shipping! A 10S 3P Samsung 10.4Ah battery alone costs more than that.

Matador said:
Yep 888$ not 250. And the descriptions says the battery is built into the bicycle central frame. How could you fit 10S3P in such a small hub and at the same time find space for copper windings, magnet and planetary gear. I think this looks fishy. THe controller is also external cheap chinese clone controller.

Yeah, I have a KT S06 I could put in, but the cheap controller is working fine. It isn't enforcing a top speed, both the throttle and the PAS are working, has battery V as well as a bar indicator, and I can tweak wheel diameter to get exact mph. Sine would be quieter but it isn't noisy.

2old said:
When I looked yesterday AM, it was $299, then last night sold out @ $888. Incredible deal for $299 IMO, but I didn't need one.
I guess it sold out shortly after I posted. I'm glad I got it for my son. He just rode it for the first time. I just rode it, more powerful than I expected. Unlike my TSDZ2 no torque sensor, but no $300 on sale ebike is going to have a torque sensor.

Matador said:
How could you fit 10S3P in such a small hub and at the same time find space for copper windings, magnet and planetary gear.
They don't. The motor is in the other wheel. ;)

amberwolf said:
Matador said:
How could you fit 10S3P in such a small hub and at the same time find space for copper windings, magnet and planetary gear.
They don't. The motor is in the other wheel. ;)

Thanks for clarifying.
So for the untrained eye, it looks just like a 2WD with 2 hubs but no triangle or dowtube battery ?

should go around 13-17 miles with that. Samsung 35E i'm guessing. So that's max 24A in a 3P config.
I think I wouldve done the opposite. Motor in the rear and battery in front wheel

Matador said:
should go around 13-17 miles with that. Samsung 35E i'm guessing. So that's max 24A in a 3P config.
I think I wouldve done the opposite. Motor in the rear and battery in front wheel
Agreed. Motor in rear and battery in front would be better

How interesting, I didn't realize there was a teardown thread on the main sphere... I originally posted the link to this bike a few days before this post on ESFB. At that time, after I'd already bought one for myself and it was "in transit," there were 8 left in stock, I was considering snatching them all for myself on my CC for quick resale, each would have cost me $269 after coupons, and resold quick at say $500 or so, but decided against and thought instead to hookup fellow sphere junkies with what I thought was an awesome deal based on the value of the parts alone... TBF I'd watched the ad for well over a week, nearly 2 in fact and based on stock level shown no one bought it, or was even particularly interested.
I posted the link (and later another for an Emtb model, too heavy for free 30kg HK shipping, just for Portland natives or people able to pick it up,) and they all sold magically overnight! Now what I found interesting is that I was only credited by HK for 2 of the bikes sold that night. They award 10% of the sale as points (they expired anyway after 90 days of no use, so were irrelevant to me,) but with only 2 credits it must mean people decided after using the link to find the product in the 1st place, to then bypass the link on purchasing? Or was I hijacked and was it reposted as someone else's find? What about the other 6 lol, did they have to do a workaround to bypass the link and why do that?
It's hard to believe that people went out of their way like this... So now I'm sitting here musing that perhaps hooking up the sphere community wasn't the nice thing I thought, rather it was potentially easy money and I'm a bit of an idiot for not giving in to my baser instincts and selfishly snatching them all up on the super cheap, especially considering the people that bought them even begrudge me free (to them) HK points!
I hope I'm completely wrong here but I'm feeling a lil disillusioned at the mo...
Btw, I put the pack on a 10s icharger to check it and at my set parameters it had just under 10Ah, so I knew it wasn't the 8.8 without needing to open the rear hub... thanks for the pics though, bonus ;)

tomtom50 said:
Dauntless said:

Yeah it's ridiculous how much HK got wrong on this product description. Front hub, 10.4Ah pack listed as 8.8Ah and not a frame mounted pack but in the rear hub, so I'm not sure whydraulic they don't know their product? But it doesn't surprise me that they couldn't sell them...

Wow. I must have bought the last one. I'd never pay $888, it was $299.
Did you not use the 10% off coupon? (I've used it before, not my 1st purchase, but it worked?)
If you're looking for the display manual, it's called the Shinga S.Widom and Google has a pdf dl link (seems to be a Dutch Co,) and some functions are not accessible and/or slightly different order, but still intuitive.

Hi just want to say, that the Battery is 10s4p on samsung 26f in my bike.
I had to replace cells in battery after one year

Attachments

• 0269FA5E-CEED-452C-8382-441E015FF00A.jpeg
    0269FA5E-CEED-452C-8382-441E015FF00A.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,239
Back