Solar power house info With link for cheep pricing

For a while now I have been wanting to figure out an efficient way to have a "cool" green house. In Hawaii our winter doesn't get cold enough (at least not at sea level) for certain crops like broccoli etc. I wanted to try to make a green house that had a little bit extra cooling to make our winter weather suitable for plants that needed a cold snap. I was considering using PV to run an electric air conditioner, but it seems like it would be a lot more efficient to use excess heat to make a cooler. Maybe it is unrealistic, but I definitely would like to explore the possibilities.
And in Florida, half of our summer electricity consumption comes from our AC unit. If I could figure out a DIY or cheap absorption cooler, that would really help with costs here too.

http://www.gasairconditioning.org/absorption_how_it_works.htm

Abs%20Press-Temp-Conc.jpg

Arlo1 said:
Dude... If I can use the wasted heat in the house in the winter and then in the summer blow cool air into the house and have photo cells making electricity.... :idea:

Hmm, that's a good idea too. Maybe have a seasonal "gate". During the winter the gate is open to divert the heat directly into the house, and in the summer it is closed to send the heat to the absorption cooler. Or something to that effect. I think dual purpose uses like these are what is going to make Solar a lot more reasonable. I think too many times we view things as only having one use, we discard the waste resource and then we try to figure out how to get create those same resources that we just threw away.

Do you think it would be possible to convert an old window AC unit, so as not to have to totally "reinvent the wheel"?

Jay64 said:
Do you think it would be possible to convert an old window AC unit, so as not to have to totally "reinvent the wheel"?
We have to know how it works first. I meen there is a few videos on you tube with solar ac so we need to see how that works. I bet its simpler then a window AC (heat pump) unit.

Isn't a typical AC unit just a condenser, heat coils, expansion valve, and cold coils? I wonder if there is a way to repurpose the condenser to condense the refrigerant using heat instead of an electrical pump?

Or possibly use a RV style propane refrigerator unit, that already uses heat to vaporize the refrigerant. Hmm, I do have an old RV toy hauler trailer just sitting around doing nothing that has a propane fridge in it. That would be a cool experiment to see if I could build a solar heat collector to run the Fridge. And the cool thing about the RV fridges, they can switch between the propane powered cooling and 12v electrical cooling with a push of a button. I could have it run on solar during the day and then 12v during the night when the heat collector cools down. I think this could be incorporated into a PV system by having the excess heat of the PV system heat up the solar heat collector.

Now do I want to tear apart my trailer, or do I want to try to find a used RV fridge? :lol:

I figure both of y'all know how heat makes cold. A Propane refrigerator, uses a pilot light to heat the ammonia and carry the heat out of the box into the condenser to release the heat. RV fridges use that along with 12V AND AC household electrickery.

For something like an A/C unit, you have to pump a lot of fluid-gas out of the container (House-whatever) to release the heat outside. You are talking , roughly, an Organic Rankin Cycle unit. There is a 10 page thread, over on a Biofuel Forum. I can copy-paste a link if y'all are REALLY interested. It's NOT a working unit, yet, but, some really into it guys are sharing ideas and getting close.

Jay has working Swamp Coolers, so, just imagine scaling up. Problem is, I believe they need a recharge of evaporating water, to function?? If you have even a small stream running near the house, running the heat exchanger coils under water will cool off the returning gas to the house, just like an A/C unit. A small pump would be cheap to run, compared to a compressor.

EDIT: Jay posted while I was making up my post.

In our Arkansas Earth-sheltered house, when I dug the in-ground part out, and layed up the block walls, I put 3-4" Plastic pipes on the bottom outside, on top of some small rock, gravel, no sand. That was for carrying cool, ground cooled air into the house. On the block walls, I smeared roofing tar, 5 gallon pails of the stuff, mashed 2 layers of folded 4 mil plastic sheet into the tar, put 2 layers of 1" underlayment styrofoam sheets, then used roll-roofing, to protect from punching holes through everything. Then, the kids took the front loader tractor along the road, and scraped loose rocks into the bucket and slowly dumped that on top of the pipes, and made a waterway for rain to drain away, to keep the walls dry, inside the house. Under those 3 pipes, was another 4" slotted wall pipe, running around the 3 sides earth sheltered, that carried the rain water away. Kept the air cooling pipes from having water in them.

On hot days, the cool air entered the house, and allowed the hot air to escape out the Solar Chimney I built. It worked even better, when I hunk a 20" box fan inside the solar chimney, pointing up, to help push the hot air up and out of the house.

We had a Servel fridge, that even made ice cubes in the freezer part.

IF y'all had the option, a galvanized or Aluminum 12" or larger sized culvert pipe system buried in a closed loop around the yard, and fed into the house and ducted back into the loop, would keep the inside temps at tolerable levels. Need a backhoe to do the loop, and back fill the ditch, but, no need to power anything other than a furnace squirrel cage type blower to move the air into-out of the loop. Ground temps in most areas will run 56°F at 8' of depth, year round. That cool tube will also provide the warmer air in the winter. Of course, fudge factors exist with each individual system.

Just taking the moisture out of the air, will make the house feel much cooler.

I built "Breadbox" water heaters, also, along with Window boxes. Bread boxes are larger boxes, insulated, and water heater tanks placed inside, painted flat black, and plumbed into the existing hot water lines in the house. A temp sensor and how water furnace pump moved the water into and out of the heater.

The window boxes were made with "Duct Board", the fibreglass board with aluminum foil on one side. It was a leaning type set up, where you cut the board so it would fold up into a size to fit in a window. Tape up the seams, foil side out, and then, cut a panel out of the top sloped side, to "glue" a sheet of glass or even plexi, onto the outside.

On the inside, before taping up the sloping box, fasten a couple pieces of wood to the sides, about halfway into the thickness of the box, say 12" thick box, make the strips 6" down under the glass. Lay a piece of sheet metal, painted black on the upper side, onto the wood strips. Cut a half circle the width of the metal, out of the lower end, so air can circulate. Make the upper section of the box, so it fits snugly into the window opening, so you shut the window down onto the box, to seal it up, sort of. Stuff some foam into any cracks.

The box will be open inside the house, so the hot air from the box will escape and rise, while the cooler air will go into the box, and fall to the bottom, where it will get heated as it travels back up on the upper side, back into the house.

Of course, this all depends on how the house is positioned on the lot, referencing to the sun passing overhead.

Jay64 said:
Isn't a typical AC unit just a condenser, heat coils, expansion valve, and cold coils? I wonder if there is a way to repurpose the condenser to condense the refrigerant using heat instead of an electrical pump?

Or possibly use a RV style propane refrigerator unit, that already uses heat to vaporize the refrigerant. Hmm, I do have an old RV toy hauler trailer just sitting around doing nothing that has a propane fridge in it. That would be a cool experiment to see if I could build a solar heat collector to run the Fridge. And the cool thing about the RV fridges, they can switch between the propane powered cooling and 12v electrical cooling with a push of a button. I could have it run on solar during the day and then 12v during the night when the heat collector cools down. I think this could be incorporated into a PV system by having the excess heat of the PV system heat up the solar heat collector.

Now do I want to tear apart my trailer, or do I want to try to find a used RV fridge? :lol:
From my knowledge... Most AC works on the principle when you pressurize a gas it gets hot and when you depressurize a gas it gets cold. So if you pressurize a gas then when its hot you cool it off while still under pressure, then depressurize it it will be even colder then before... So you can use this for HOT or COLD but you need to pressurize the gas. IM not sure if Heat alone can drive this I think it needs a electric pump. Maybe someone who knows NASA type stuff will chime in ;)

Arlo1 said:
From my knowledge... Most AC works on the principle when you pressurize a gas it gets hot and when you depressurize a gas it gets cold. So if you pressurize a gas then when its hot you cool it off while still under pressure, then depressurize it it will be even colder then before... So you can use this for HOT or COLD but you need to pressurize the gas. IM not sure if Heat alone can drive this I think it needs a electric pump. Maybe someone who knows NASA type stuff will chime in ;)

But doesn't heat also pressurize? (Not arguing, just trying to work this out.) If you heat up the one side, it should expand a gas creating pressure. Ever left a plastic gas can out in the sun? The expansion valve should allow a decrease in pressure in the cooling coils.

I found this site that has basic information on how to do a DIY propane cooling system that can make ice. But you need to pay $15 to get the actual plans, but it looks pretty straight forward. I'm sure we can figure out a way to incorporate these ideas into being able to use excess heat from a PV panel or a solar heat collector to fashion a basic air cooling system. I wonder if another substance could be used in place of the anhydrous ammonia, that stuff can be pretty nasty.

refphoto2.jpg

Been doing a lot of searching today. Why are 12v-24v appliances so much more money than 120v? How hard would it be to make a 120v unit work with 12v-24v?

Heat does presurize but how do we use that to cool???

I'm still studying it, but I'm pretty sure when you depressurize something it gets cooler. It looks like that is how the propane based systems work, the propane heats up the ammonia, then when it goes through the cooler to condense, it drops the temp way down.

But i think something needs to be pumped in a continious circle so if the heat presurizes a gas then you will have a hot gas under presure and it will get cooler when depresurized but will still be hotter the when you started and there is no way to push it back into the chanber for presure. With a heat pump (for cooling) it presurizes a gas then cools that gas off and then depresurizes it to where it comes into the house to cool somthing (absorbing heat from inside your house) then pumped back to the presure chamber all of this is run by an electric pump!

Kurt said:
I have gone out with a hose some times on a hot summer day and hosed down my panels and the wattage shoots up for a while.
Kurt

Kurt, I would recommend that you do not do that on a hot day... The rapid change in temperature can easily crack/shatter the glass on the solar modules! I've seen it happen.

Edited the first post with some links.

adiabatic compression causes the temperature of the gas to rise, and adiabatic expansion causes the temperature to fall.

you could try using the A/C heat exchanger to heat the hot water for the house. instead of having a fan blow over the heat exchange radiator to cool the radiator with atmospheric air you can flow the water that goes to the hot water tank over the A/C radiator to cool the radiator and heat the water.

that makes the total system more efficient by using the heat produced by the A/C to heat the water.

Edited the 2nd and 3rd post with a bit of info.

I also found this link. http://www.bcsea.org/learn/get-the-facts/renewable-energy-technologies/solar-power

And a link for net metering from out local power company BC hydro. http://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/acquiring_power/current_offerings/net_metering.html

Just got 9 255 watt panels for 265 ea CDN on a group buy. Will post more info soon. :)

Yes and the CDN dollar is ~.79 of an American dollar at the moment. SO considering that its a really good deal. Drew and His wife who Run We Go Solar are my age and totally cool into MX bikes Sport bikes RC cars so we hi it off and I will be getting Drew on a Zero :) Im stoked as its natural for him to be on a Zero :) Canada is about to add a Teriff for Importing solar from China but its a Joke as non of the solar is actually made in Canada right now. Just a money grab for the already spoiled and greedy who think they need to "run" this country.
Anyways we use electric heat and I want to work on something maybe a hybrid heat pump using the man made stream out back of our house. As well I want to add some solar hot water. We already use mostly leds for lighting and we will add a cloths line this year too.
The 9 panels we got should be about 1/4 of our energy use.

Attachments

• 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,975
Back