Steel no longer a steal.

Papa

10 kW
As my primary go-to metal for fast and cost effective builds (when completed weight isn't a major concern), I was stunned to see a 25% increase on todays steel purchase. "Yup... Everything but some flat stock", he told me. Adding, "US mills are lagging demand". I had antisipated a mild ripple effect from Mr. T's import stunt, but cleàrly not this much, or so soon. That said, it's a safe bet I'll be double-dipping my rems and used pile far more frequentlly.

Hey you're making poorly considered trade sanctions seem like a bad idea.

Anyway, if you need steel, just come across the border. We have all the steels.

I hit my local salvage yard first, especially if needing pipe. It will be interesting to see the ripple effect there, if any. 30 cents a lb last time I bought any, last fall, I'm sure it will be going up. I fully expect my new bought stuff to go higher, luckily I'll be able to pass that on to the end user.

Problem here, is the salvage yards have been restricting access to scrap because of liability issues. I'm disappointed but understand, given the potential of machinery (cranes specifically) loading and unloading, or sorting piles.

BTW... Idaho bill HB 508 (ebike related) failed to clear the transportation committee. So we're 'off-the-hook' for another year.

Thanks for the update on the bill.

Pacific Scrap metals in Pocatello is my scrap yard of choice. They are very liability aware but at the same time have a smaller fenced in area (called Treasure Island, aptly so) where, after you check in at the front office, you can go browse. I've saved thousands there, no exaggeration.

Back