beer cooled motor

Anything related to food or drink, especially beer
staft
100 mW
100 mW

beer cooled motor

Post by staft » May 20, 2012 10:31 am

hi,
Has anybody ever tried a beer cooling system for a motor/controller? The frame of the bike could be used as a reservoir,possibly with cooling fins radiating out from all tubes, or else a conventional radiator up front?

On second thought, I picture all the thirsty riders draining their coolant halfway through a ride...

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW

Re: beer cooled motor

Post by whereswally606 » May 20, 2012 11:00 am

I gotta say that's a ridiculous idea, who likes warm beer? plus if you get stopped by the police on a bike which requires water cooling since its overvolted and is already illegal the last thing you need is to be smelling like a brewery. Just a waste of beer. beer cooled biker is what you need.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

HAROX
1 kW
1 kW

Post by HAROX » May 20, 2012 11:19 am

Last edited by HAROX on Sep 26, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drunkskunk
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » May 20, 2012 2:15 pm

whereswally606 wrote:I gotta say that's a ridiculous idea, who likes warm beer?
The Brittish.

:D

I think I'd rather just cool me with the beer.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

kevo
1 kW
1 kW

Post by kevo » May 20, 2012 2:17 pm

How about brewing a perfect coffee!? :mrgreen:
Thanks Justin of http://ebikes.ca for your amazing talents, dedication and contributions to ES!
Post licensed under "Open Source" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

texaspyro
1 MW
1 MW

Post by texaspyro » May 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Drunkskunk wrote:
whereswally606 wrote:I gotta say that's a ridiculous idea, who likes warm beer?
The Brittish.

:D
They also like jellied eels and that toe nail fungus stuff (marmite) :evil:

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » May 21, 2012 11:58 am

Sorghum Beer is the only brew I know that is drank warmly; it ferments quickly and is not allowed to age. Created in Africa, refrigeration is not an option. I don’t think Chicha is refrigerated either.

British Beer is served at cellar temperatures, those being roughly 55*F, whereas lagers are served at their cellar temperature of origins, about 45*F. This is the chief distinction between ales and lagers. Some may argue that the class of yeasts are different; they’re not. The genus is the same (Saccharomyces), however the variety has localized. Eskimos, Auzzies, Californicators, and South Afrikaans: We’re all part of Human, it’s just that we’ve been localized.

To answer the beer-cooled motor, I was thinking perhaps using the same technology for cooling hot wort so we could pitch the yeast. Two most common methods for homebrewers are immersion chilling and external chilling. My RIMS had both and I could chill 15 gallons of just boiled wort down to 74*F in 25 minutes. The immersion chiller takes a copper coil of tubing and is immersed into the wort and has cold water pumped through to remove the heat. The external chiller is the reverse: A coil of copper tubing is immersed in an ice bath and the hot wort is pumped through.

So, for cooling a motor using beer technology would likely require the insertion of copper tubing within a hub motor (presuming we are talking hub motors) or wrapped around the outside of RC motor and having cold water pumped through. This is straight-up no-brainer thermodynamics heat transfer and fluid flow problem. If I were building a motor that required cooling, I’d likely fetch a descent radiator with two variable-speed ducted turbine fans connected to a brain that monitored the temperature of the motor in at least one point inside, and then force-pump fluid through the coils until the heat was below the selected threshold. The fans would kick in when the bike was at rest or in hot climes to assist in radiant removal. Options for the system could be that we replace the water with organic mineral oil which has a higher thermal coefficient over pressurized water and glycol. For that matter, some brewers use water and glycol to maintain temperature of their jacketed fermenters and conditioning tanks.

So it’s completely possibly to create a beer cooled motor using like technology. But HAROX nailed it (pun intended) that Iron, plain Steel, and Brass should never EVER have contact with beer due to the acidity of Carbonic Acid (CO2 in solution) which readily reacts these metals, and that which leads to create a horrible drinking experience. :P

~urp! KF :wink:
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

staft
100 mW
100 mW

Post by staft » May 26, 2012 10:51 am

OK, then. Hot sake, maybe? There could be a spigot mounted on the headtube. Hub nut tiny cups.Espresso sounds good, too, but all that crema gunking up the motor?