Alan Hu Electric Race Technologies. Beware!

JuiceMeUp

1 W
This was going to be a post of me publicly calling out Alan Hu of Electric Race Technologies for being a lying grub and calling out his unconscionable business practices. A story of how he took over $US850 and delivered nothing more than lies and disappointment.
This post was going to serve as a warning to others to have nothing to do with the guy. But instead, I’d like to reach deeper into the community and ask for advice where to go from here. This is an account of my experience with www.electricrt.com

Now I know Alan has had some bad press in the past. Many are aware of this. But here is my story.

Back in mid October ’19 he posted up what looked like a statement on his self administered ASI Powered Sur Rons Facebook page saying that he has had some problems but is now on top of it and ready to do business.

I know that it is difficult to get a small enterprise off the ground. The court of public opinion is a harsh place and sometimes it can take a while to get things sorted out. But Hey. I respect a man brave enough to issue what looked like a public apology and move forward. With that in mind I decided to give him a chance and order a complete ASI 4000 kit for my Sur-Ron.

His first lie was saying that all components were in stock, ready to ship.
I asked him this directly before ordering through his website.
Turns out they weren’t, and it would take another 6 weeks until he received his order from ASI.
For the next Month and a half, he strung me along with different and often creative excuses as to why it hadn’t been sent (dog ate my homework, it’s coming at the end of the week sort of stuff).

After my requests for refund or proof of postage, he later sends me a tracking number that sat idle for two weeks.
DHL hadn’t even picked up from his house. A great stalling tactic, I’ll give him that.
I contact DHL and they fill me in on the strategy of creating a tracking number in their system to give the illusion it's been posted.
Again. Could have saved a lot of grief just by telling me what was really going on, but Alan chooses to double down on his bullshit.

So eight weeks in, the package finally arrives.
All sins are forgiven.
Man I’m so excited to get my bike running again. I've wanted one of these for such a long time. Open it up - It’s incomplete!
Controller and dodgy wiring harness only. No eggrider screen and regen throttle, which I paid extra for. No ability to adjust the programming either (which he specifically said was a feature during a pre-sale conversation).

I message him about it and he says
“Yeah. I don’t do those anymore. Just buy them direct from someone else”
Furious, I ask how we can work through this and get it running.

I hook up the controller on the bench and spin the motor up. It is the worst electrical tune I’ve ever seen. Surging, poles mis-firing and a disgusting, aggressive ramp up. Unloaded motor getting hot after 20 second run time @ ¼ throttle. I wouldn't dare install this in a bike.
I shoot a video of it that I sent to him and we agree that I’ll send it back at my own expense ($120) for a full refund.

The tracking says he received it late December. Alan, himself confirms this on Messenger.

He said he has processed a refund and sent me screenshots from whatever software he’s using as a CRM that says simply say 'refund processed'. That was weeks ago.
Given that it’s not in my account and my bank can’t see anything pending (and advise me to contact him again), I ask him for trackable transaction numbers.

This is when the radio silence begins.

Given his history of deliberate and mis-leading statements, I doubt it’s really been processed at all. I guess he’s hoping I will just go away and forget about it. But he is holding over $US850 of mine and I have nothing to show for it.

What I’m really pissed about is the remorseless and blatant breach of trust.
I gave the bloke a go and have been nothing but disrespected by him with his lies and deception.
I see the e-bike community as a tight group of open sources. Sharing knowledge and advice freely.
We don’t always get along and sometimes argue over designs and power claims, but I like to think there was trust and respect here. For the last 10 years and numerous successful international transactions, there has been.

It just boils my blood to be treated like this by another member. One who cut his teeth right here on E.S
I know I’m not alone and this is not an isolated incident.
He’s still trading on the same shady lies he told others and now I find out first hand, their passionate rants are well justified. Nothing about his business has actually changed. I'm so embarrassed and feel like such a fool to buy from him.

What can I do?
What would you do?
I’m in Australia, He’s in California.
Short of getting some local friends to knock on his door ;)

Sorry if I sound like another ranting ERT customer.
I’ve tried to keep this as moderate as possible.
This is the first public mention of my experience. Everything else has been kept between us on messenger – I can back everything I say here with a chat log

If this refund does come through, I’ll post back here with an update.

Given the above, I would publically like to say:

“Alan Hu. You are a shady little grub that has no business being a part of this community. Your presence in the market bring it shame and disgrace
Your quality of in-house components are SHIT
Your ASI programming is a JOKE
The way you lie and treat your customers is UNCONSCIONABLE”

So Deal with this guy at your own risk. Caveat Emptor friends.

Wow that is shady, the fact that you have to login for pricing on his site is an instant red flag. Do you know where he is in California? Im in CA, maybe I could try to collect on behalf of the people he has scammed o_O lol

He lives in Monterey Park, I know from having to send back his faulty controllers 3 times

None of the controllers were faulty, you just decided in the end that you didn’t want them, 3 shipments later.

Attachments

• 3CABB84F-8DBA-40FC-B1D8-95A82709728B.jpeg
    3CABB84F-8DBA-40FC-B1D8-95A82709728B.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 7,376
They might not have been faulty the first two times, but the first time, you had sent the controller for the bbshd when I ordered your controller for the bbs02. I had contacted you and had clearly stated that the connectors were wrong, and so you sent another one, again with the incorrect connectors. I contact you again and you tell me to crimp or solder the connectors myself. What kind of unprofessional seller not only fails to send the correct replacement but then also tells the buyer to fix the problem themselves? after a few weeks or so of being ignored, you tell me that you're sending the third replacement after I have sent back the first two. I had no prior knowledge of needing to send back the two controllers because you ghosted me. The third time, not only were the connectors incorrect again, the controller didn't even function properly. The pictures that you sent to confirm if they were the correct connectors were in a video format that didn't even open. I decided to just cut the wires off the stock bbs02 controller and solder it onto the controller, but after plugging it into the motor, I learned that after putting any throttle input, the controller would just spin at full throttle non-stop even after I let up on it. If the controller was faulty the third time, who says that the controller couldn’t have been faulty the first or second time. So of course, I decided that I didn't want them. Who knows how long it would take before my motor exploded when plugged into your deathtrap of a controller. Honestly, I wish I did my research on you before buying from you. It won’t be long before I create my own post of my experience with ERT, even though this reply sums up most of it.

Oh. Hi Alan.

Good to know you have eyes on this one.

Would you care to comment to me and the rest of the community looking in on this one why you have chosen to steal my money($US850).

If you're broke and need some time to refund it, just let me know. This ghosting thing you do has lead to this public thread.
I really did try to keep this man to man for the last 4 months, but your constant stream of bullshit has brought us here now.

When and if you do come good with the refund, i'll post an update here and you can focus on rebuilding your relationship with me the E-bike community.

Till then I just don't understand how you can live with the shame of such public accusations, let alone have nothing to say for yourself. Ghosting is the act of a guilty coward.

I doubt the timeframe he promises to process the refund will be in any way at all accurate. A month ago, he said that he received the controller and would process the refund shortly, but over a week later, there’s no response. I told him that I would file a chargeback and I still get no response, until today when I get an email saying that the order has been marked as partially refunded. Even though I wasn’t going to cancel the chargeback, I still checked my bank account only to see that there was no sign of any refund. He prematurely marked the controller as refunded. This guy took 17 days to indirectly respond and has ghosted me for a whole month. He’s gonna reply to this by saying it was some unexpected life event, or it was ASI’s fault, or that it was Christmas.

If you want a real refund, either contact paypal or if you paid by credit card contact your bank and file a chargeback claim.
You will need to supply evidence on you sending the package back and the seller recieving it.

Anyone here used a debt collection service in the LA area they could recommend?
Perhaps have some experience of it themselves and would like to make some money.
DM me.

Thanks for your replies and offers.
My money has now been recovered and I consider the matter with Alan closed.

Yeah Alan Hu is a person who is full if shit. Don't ever so business with that little Asian midget prick. He lies about everything and acts like he is doing you a favor. frock him. I waited 8 weeks and never got anything. If you want his address message me and I'll give it to you. He works out if his garage. Some business. What a loser. Avoid him at all cost

Thats good, don't need your money or your business. FYI I refunded your money, because you tried to intimidate me, threaten me with physical violence, compulsively lying, the list goes on. Id would be crazy to do business with you.

This really goes out to anyone, if your going to be a asshole and a dick to me, and show a complete lack of basic respect for myself and others. Then I really don't want to conduct any business with said person. Common sense people, I am not amazon prime or Ebay, quality products take time to build, develop, and test. If you don't want to wait for quality products, then more than welcome to go somewhere else.

evolutiongts said:
Thats good, don't need your money or your business. FYI I refunded your money, because you tried to intimidate me, threaten me with physical violence, compulsively lying, the list goes on. Id would be crazy to do business with you.

This really goes out to anyone, if your going to be a asshole and a dick to me, and show a complete lack of basic respect for myself and others. Then I really don't want to conduct any business with said person. Common sense people, I am not amazon prime or Ebay, quality products take time to build, develop, and test. If you don't want to wait for quality products, then more than welcome to go somewhere else.

Folks, take a good look because everything else about his business is just as unprofessional as this quote.

Can't say anything about quality as I had no chance to test his products. Placed an order in late February and since them have been trying to find the status with absolute no response. Understand some people can be busy and late to respond but is it acceptable to take more than a week to respond to a message these days. Based on the comments bellow, I'm afraid I may have problems to recover my money back. Do not recommend. Unresponsive customer service.

I'm not sure that when you buy bac800 from Alan if one should expect to also receive the code to change some parameters of this "programmable controller " but I have been asking him for months and months and nothing.
Does anybody have one (if that would work on all of them.)because I will be dead before he gets back to me.

He replied to my facebook poste stating that the controller would be shipped this week but nothing happened. Will contact my credit card company to try to get my money back. Any advice is appreciated. For other customers, they should be advised NOT to do business with him or his company. Unfortunately I was not aware of it before placing my order. Will include comments on his facebook and youtube pages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JuiceMeUp said:

After my requests for refund or proof of postage, he later sends me a tracking number that sat idle for two weeks.
DHL hadn’t even picked up from his house. A great stalling tactic, I’ll give him that.
I contact DHL and they fill me in on the strategy of creating a tracking number in their system to give the illusion it's been posted.
Again. Could have saved a lot of grief just by telling me what was really going on, but Alan chooses to double down on his bullshit.

I just got shivers reading that lol. I've dealt with the guy multiple times, through a lot of pain, and was always suspicious why the heck the shipment still hasn't been picked up, even when I got the tracking number .
Its just crazy..

Having seen reports of other ERT buys gone wrong, and a handful of reports where customers actually got what they ordered just several months later, I suspected Alan's issues were intermittent supply chain problems. Since his custom display looks nice and would save me time implementing a more personalized system through the Cycle Analyst for my BAC8000, I thought, well, I'll give him a try and as much leeway as possible without allowing myself to get scammed-- I'm patient, and believe in second chances. I should have listened to the other horror stories. Alan has what looks like a cool display, but he is a narcissistic pathological liar without remorse.

In short, Alan lied to me about having inventory in stock before I ordered, then lied to me four times about when he'd ship my order. Never responded at his webshop email, I had to track him down on FB to get lied to. Finally I told him a month in advance I'd file a chargeback at the latest possible time but would be open to trying again when he has inventory in stock, who doesn't deserve a 5th chance. Well that date came and went too, so I filed a chargeback. Never heard back. When I later detailed this experience on ESFB in a thread of similar experiences, he commented there denying having ever made those promises to me and said all I had to do was message him, he's got everything in stock, and got upset at me for filing a chargeback like I had told him I would have to do a month in advance-- he had assured me I'd "get it way before then". When I posted logs showing that I was patient with him in our chats and had already tried messaging him repeatedly, he blacklisted me from his webshop out of pettiness, adding a new policy to the site just for me even as I offered to give him one more chance to redeem himself. Links to backups of his website are below showing this and our chats. His store policy now says, do not attempt to fail a claim or chargeback, even if we do not respond, please keep trying. We are extremely busy with development and order fulfillment. Once you file a dispute or chargeback, you will be permanently blocked/blacklisted from purchasing from us as well as all our distributors in the future. So think very carefully before you decide to do it. We have better things to do than scam your money.

Apparently not as this and other threads show I may never have gotten anything if I didn't bail at the latest possible time. Good riddance, and a good motivation to do the work to adapt a product that actually has customer support, an open-source and more reliable OLED design, the esteemed Justin Le's Cycle Analyst. All too happy to support Justin instead, be able to use a shunt as a couloumb-meter, and use hardware switch controls instead of a touchscreen.

Here's links to our chats in FB messenger, on ESFB, and cached pages of his webshop showing that he changed his policies just for me. I would have no hard feelings if he'd just be honest, or show even the tiniest bit of remorse instead of acting like I'm blessed to have the chance to be lied to and gaslit. How dare I mention he lied to me repeatedly in a thread of other people he lied repeatedly to, or be dissatisfied that I got nothing but lies for months instead of a product or any straight communication, amirite? This guy is a snake. Worst buying experience of my life even before the gaslighting.
https://imgur.com/a/DAxraTY
https://imgur.com/a/dAKCMLq
https://imgur.com/a/MIXzDru

He got me also!
Ordered a controller from in in Jan for a 72V bike I am building It took a ling time to get it and at the time he recommended a EggRider and when I plugged the battery in it damaged the EggRider. I called the number on his site and and he said he was sorry and told me to order a NXT display so thats what I did. That was in March and never got that. Contacted him on FaceBook and the few time I got him he said he was going to ship it out the next day. That day never came. This guy is a crook! Don't waist your time ordering anything from him you will get screwed. He is going to do this to the wrong person and someone is going to hurt this guy! He is not hard to find. Korma is a bitch

xenodius said:
Good riddance, and a good motivation to do the work to adapt a product that actually has customer support, an open-source and more reliable OLED design, the esteemed Justin Le's Cycle Analyst. All too happy to support Justin instead, be able to use a shunt as a couloumb-meter, and use hardware switch controls instead of a touchscreen.

If you mean that the CA has OLED, and is open-source, it has/is neither of those things.

If you mean you want to start a project to create a CA that is OS with an OLED, you should start a thread for it and get cracking. ;)

does anyone have the mailing address for alan hu / contact info?

i dont need the money but want to sue him just to make his life difficult, spite lawsuit.

Back