Problems with Lunacycle - GOT DENTED RIM

Hi,
I've had a bad shopping experience with Lunacycle, which was bad enough that I felt obligated to share it here.
9 days ago I purchased from them an 82mm rim with 36holes for my fat bike build.
I was told it can take up to a week to process international payments due to late fraud warnings. It seemed strange, but I accepted it.
After one week I checked what's going on and I was told that probably they ran out of the rim I ordered. This is where I got angry, and asked how can they let a customer pay for a non-stock item AND wait a whole week to find that out. I demanded my order to shipped out on the day I wrote it or a refund.
After 1-2hours, I got an official message that my order status is "shipped" and I even got a USPS shipping number.
Going to the USPS link after 1 day revealed it's a "pre ship" status: According to USPS the shop just created the number, but didn't provide USPS with the item itself yet.
After one more day I asked again what's going on, and got a message that my wheel building is pending (I have paid for a rim, not a full wheel) and may take a few more days. (just now I received it)
This is where I got completely through with it and demanded a full refund, and also have decided to warn you all from this shop.
I wouldn't write this if this was just an ongoing conversation with one sales representive: I've had been replied by different persons on the email every time. (At least that's what the mail says).

Welcome to the new ebay style world . This is how the world turns 2017. It's a gamble so roll the dice . Oh heartbreak from ordering on line.

Ive ordered small stuff from them w/o issues, but as with any business there are happy and unhappy customers. You better get on YELPS and complaint.

Updated info about the incident:
Lunacycle now told me that they had water-pipeline problems so they were shut down, but yesterday (Friday) my rim was supposed to be shipped as they said the problem was fixed and they promised it will be shipped. Therefore, I told them to just do it instead of asking for a refund as 80mm (and 100mm) 36h rim is no longer findable on planet Earth...

Checking later, and today too, it's still in "Preship" status on USPS so they didn't do anything.
I also asked for a speedier shipment on their tab since this delay is not my fault but they have refused: They only agreed to say they are sorry, and still, nothing has been shipped.

What can I do?
They also said refund is no longer possible as it's already wrapped up and ready to go (for the last week...), so when I get the package I can just refuse it and they will fully refund me.
Am I eligible to some compensation according to the US law in case of such late delivery plus the time wasted due to their misinformation? (I could have started ordering spokes for 36->32h lacing but I need to know what's going on this them, but no clear answer...)

Can someone with experience regarding Lunacycle can comment on this, please?

man that sounds really horrible from luna cycle. I hope you get things worked out.

Hi,
I wanted to update that eventually everything was solved right and I even got a compensation from Lunacycles, UNTIL I FOUND I GOT A DENTED RIM. Read the thread below.... :evil:
They have sent me an extra rim on quicker delivery, free of charge, and so I have received both this week.

They were very sorry for the big delay and the misunderstandings, including the delay which was not their fault - and it was nice to receive an extra rim as compensation, until I found one of them was seriously dented.... :evil:

Grrrrr.... I thought everything was fine, but when I opened one of the rim packages I had discovered this:
IMG_20170716_192156.jpg

It has some serious dents in it as well as falling scratches, showing this rim took a hit from multiple hits. Unfortunately I only found this while starting to true the rim on the hubmotor. I was too quick to start the lacing without inspecting it first...
This again brings me to warn you all - Don't shop at Luna!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

And regarding this rim - Can I still use it?
Does it require some sort of bending/fixing or can I just place the fat tire on it and the tire won't even show the deflection outwards?

Really you went that far without noticing that?

Sure you didn't drop it and blame the seller?

Pretty sure Luna regrets having you as a customer too.

Two sides to every story.

Marin said:
Really you went that far without noticing that?

Sure you didn't drop it and blame the seller?

Pretty sure Luna regrets having you as a customer too.

Two sides to every story.

You mean I dropped it multiple times, on both sides, and at same time was stupid enough to send a picture of it laced on a hub? :mrgreen:
Believe what you want, or better - go ahead and buy those same rims and feel the same customer experience. I think this will be the best way for you to judge.

And you know what - After you wait to a product for so long (I promised to a customer I will lace a wheel for him which came very very late), you are sometimes in a hurry and forget to inspect the obvious when you mostly purchase at reputable bike shops like Jenson-Usa, Chainreaction and such...

Jon NCal said:
Well if it is a build for your customer, it's obviously not acceptable... No customer is going to accept a wheel all banged up.

Indeed. I just think if I can use that rim on another build for myself since I am not going to contact them again and so I prefer if that money wouldn't go to waste. (I can ship it back to them, but the cost of the shipping would be more than the rim's value, and after our email conversations I dunno if I will get my money back (for the rim AND the return shipping).
Are there any danger issues with using such rim? And can it be fixed?

I'd be suspicious if I were support. Typically customers review a part before building with it. That said I have seen rims damaged in shipment as well a rims shipped damaged, but that was on a full build. Suspicion rules...

Did the package look obviously smashed before you opened it? I've had plenty of goods damaged by UPS, FedEx, USPS.
Was the packaging really really poor?

On a fat tire, that much dent is not likely to be real noticeable, but I would be pissed if I received damaged goods no matter what they were.

tomjasz said:
I'd be suspicious if I were support. Typically customers review a part before building with it. That said I have seen rims damaged in shipment as well a rims shipped damaged, but that was on a full build. Suspicion rules...

I'm guilty of "using" a "new" part before inspecting it, out of excitement and haste. I've done it before. I bought a brand new pocket knife, and it was dull out of the box, so I sharpened it before fully inspecting it. As soon as I sharpened it, it broke, within a few hours of receipt. I told the retailer, and they told me I was out of luck, since I already sharpened it, and it was now "used", so it was all my own fault for not inspecting it better before "use". I can relate.

To the OP, it is still usable, just bend it back, it'll be a little weaker and worse for wear, but this is a FREE/EXTRA rim they sent you for your troubles, right? I wouldn't be too perturbed, since it was "free".

If I were your retailer, I wouldn't be able to accept your damaged return, since you built it up already and it's "used", like sharpening my new knife. Or like... normal bike stores won't return a handlebar, never ridden, if it's been mounted even once, because you can see the little scores from the stem's clamp, for instance. Once you break a spoke-hole's hymen on the rim, it's no longer pure.

Who knows who to believe, but I will say this... hub motor builds are heavy, and that rim's damage looks like it was dropped with the weight of a hub-motor in its mitts. Mist. Midst. Mids. Mmmmmm... :banana:

I have butted heads with the owner of Luna in the past.

Credit where credit is due...
In the business I did with him (Eric) he held up his end of the bargain and delivered what was requested in the condition described on time.

Those rims look pretty munched...

I would just use them myself
EH...

In the future I suggest being really careful about unpacking and performing inspection. Do it within 24hrs of receiving a package, take pics, and get back to the seller ASAP.

When you start moving a lot of product it is easy to miss quality issues.
IF
That dent is the real deal....

It is an indication of other quality issues... like... no incoming or outgoing inspection.... which would mean that whoever or where-ever they are putting those together is the last stop.

Inspection is part of the cost of doing business.
Skipping inspection and passing on the savings to customers... means that customers need to accept quality issues

From what I have seen...
Luna sells at bottom dollar
So expect quality issues.

IF
The expectation is that they ship perfect goods.... Then expect to pay for it.

-methods

I worked with Eric for about a week.
Fast and sloppy and not detail oriented is how his operation works. Honesty and open-ness about products is not a priority either. Not my cup of tea.

I'd rather pull an ebike product out of the aliexpress gloryhole.. :lol:

Hopefully things get sorted for OP though.

What's with these necro posts? Seems an old and long dead issue... Maybe I'm missing something?

tomjasz said:
What's with these necro posts? Seems an old and long dead issue... Maybe I'm missing something?

Yes, seems to me LockH got banned for reviving old posts.

I guess some people like to beat on a dead horse.

Beating a dead horse 2.jpg

tomjasz said:

Thread's only 2 years old. I dunno what you consider the threshold for necroposting is, but i'd say it's 4+ years.

Lock got a temporary ban for flipping his shit when it was pointed out that he was necroposting and creating lots of unnecessary drama afterward. We don't ban people for necroposting; that's just worthy of a ribbing because it's bad nettiquite :)

I just hate :roll: when people pick on Luna, K?

I had a few wheels shipped with damaged wheels in my days with <redacted>and have heard of a few since. You get what you pay for. Life these days confirms, if lies are told often enough they become someone’s truth. But interesting that someone called the low price leader(accurately) the 45 of Ebikes. And so here we are, moving forward with even better posters and resources. Jeebus. Some of the fellas here have given more than price breaks. They’ve given freely of what they know and have learned. And never a sales pitch.

Biggest problem for Luna that I perceive is, apparently, the site owner hates them and has a shill or maybe someone who works for him constantly denigrate Luna while extolling his products (if the site owner doesn't know it, this makes the shill's analysis of his products worthless). Might get me banned, but the truth always hurts. I have never met anyone at Luna, but have received 10++ orders from them with one discrepancy which was resolved quickly without any drama.

I have never seen justin_le post negative things about lunacycle on this forum.
Please support your claim with some evidence.

Lunacycle has genuinely hired shills and spent tons of money and resources influencing public opinion. The company is ran by a marketer, not an engineer. I know this because i used to work for lunacycle and also run the endless sphere facebook page and have had to deal with not only lunacycle, but many other vendors paying shills to post in our group. My moderation team has helped sniff this out. Eric could not follow basic rules for vendors in our group and was discharged, creating lots of drama.

Eric was removed from this forum because of false claims and personal attacks on most large vendors, to try to make himself look better. I got tired of it and decided to push for banning him, because even though he's been a member here for a long time, that sort of behavior is not acceptable for any member of the group.

He made several attempts to sneak back in and lie about who he was. I also got to deal with that.

You are literally defending the worst of the worst of people who have inhabited this place.

But like you said, you don't know Eric or his staff. I unfortunately do. There are other ex luna employees on here who can relay some pretty interesting stories if you want to know more, but i won't drag that out here.

Justin generally only pops on here to provide support for his products or post interesting results from tests he's done. Go look at his post history for an example of how a vendor should conduct themselves. There are also several other vendors who adhere to this standard of behavior.

So yeah, make sure you've got the right information before making statements like that..

Back