How do you mark or "kudo" exceptional quality postings?

Reid Welch

1 MW
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9503
By EMF
...Morph- one of the guys in my department started riding his motorcycle to save money on gas. Within 3 months, he was forced to lay it down. He said at that point that anything he had saved was now lost as his bike was ruined and he was injured. The person in the car in front of him stopped real fast and he was going to rear end the car, so he laid it down and kind of slid under it.

I used to ride motorcycles many years ago and I did so for about 7 years. I never got hurt although I had a couple close calls. But this was before cell phones as previously mentioned here. Until it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving (And in my opinion, "hands free" is NOT going to improve safety) I would not touch a motorcycle with a ten foot pole. I have not rode a motorcycle for almost 25 years now, but when I am at a 4-way stop- I STILL watch the front tire on the car at the intersection that is capable of hitting me. Because if it even begins to turn- I will take evasive action or stop again and wait. I learned a long time ago that "eye contact" with the person in the car means NOTHING.

Plus, if you ave a motorcycle you must get insurance and I mean full coverage as it is simply a matter of time until you will need it. This extra cost to me, offsets ANY savings. If you want to ride a motorcycle...it has to be for the reason of recreation as it is in no way "economical".

I thought about this very carefully when I was about to take the plunge into e-biking. An e-bike makes sense, because as long as it is built to fit the legal parameters for your state, you do not need license tags, registration, or even any special insurance. You can usually fix it yourself and it is much safer as you are only going on average - 20 mph or less. You also are not normally trying to insert yourself into the flow of traffic occupying a lane with the full sized cars and trucks etc. Having said that- every intersection is dangerous and I have to really keep alert.

Motorcycles to me are the land equivalent of a boat, where the boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into. I remember, my motorcycle fell over on its side stand and did about 200 dollars in damage - and this was in 1985! :roll: Oh, and they NEVER have any parts in stock you had to wait 2 weeks, they were way overpriced and what I noticed with a motorcycle is that whatever goes out- you can't ride. It seems like a car can have things wrong and you can still drive it. But a motorcycle has no extra parts it seems.

-----
I am not anti-motorcycle at all. But....

....Some postings, many here, need to be denoted with "star" or ratings/votes for goodness.

I don't really think one person's opinion against motorcycles qualifies as an exceptional posting.

I don't think there is a mechanism in the current forum software to rate posts.

I think it would be a good feature. There are so many posts that it is somewhat difficult to find the good ones by using the search function.

Welp, copy paste into this thread with a link back to original thread would do the trick, kinda like quotable quotes thread.

Who cares. Whoopi.

D-Man said:
Who cares. Whoopi.
Goldberg.

I went to a party in Pittsburg.
Every Berg in the world was there;
Silverberg, Goldberg, and a dame I couldn't catch her real name.
I think she was gorgeous. They called her Iceberg.

I scraped my side and sank.
No kudos for her frozen posing.

Cheers,

Titanic Failure

:lol:

fechter said:
I don't think there is a mechanism in the current forum software to rate posts.

I think it would be a good feature. There are so many posts that it is somewhat difficult to find the good ones by using the search function.

Does anyone actually work on the forum software? I would love to help out with the forum software, but it seems knightmb is the sole programming-capable admin who doesn't really spend time on maintaining/upgrading the software, including the annoying broken links whenever a post is edited.

IIRC, phpbb has a post-rating module. but it could be a pain to set the forum up so someone other than knightmb can have administrator privs.

Ratings are not a bad idea... but generally, a lean interface has merit.

i think it is a bad idea, everybody has different idea about what is valuable too.

the times also create the topics too such as last year when richard created the ecrazyman shenzen controller thread. or the BMS project, and the current rc motor drive and delta/wye threads.

maybe something to recognize the technical merit of a thread like the C'lyte controller thread, but the glad handing and political posturing against global warming or hatred of the current obama administration is really not what you would expect for an EV forum.

but they are the longest running threads with about 600 million hidden links that he never even looked at. what's the merit in that? but that would get the glory.

Back