Dial-up or Broadband?

Dial up, or Broadband =of any sort= of quality?

• r.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any sort of broadband?

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Dial-up?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reid Welch

1 MW
tin can and string, or blue toot?

PS: Big Corporate Secret revealed: ATT, by government pressure, offers to certain USA customers, mostly in the south,
786kps dial up for merely $10US per month, plus $6 tag-on taxes: cheaper than dial up from ATT and ten times faster.
They do not want you to know about this. The offer extends for another 18 months before they can raise your rates.
To qualify: you cannot ever have had ATT broadband. You need a land line phone, so far as I know.
It does not interfere with the normal use of the landline phone at all.

As tempting as "r." service is, I just went with broadband. $40/mo gets me 6Mbps down, 1Mbps up.

I will NEVER go back to dial-up. :x The thought of not being able to play Halo or Brawl online is too much for my feeble constitution to bear.

I hear the US is the only industrialized nation without a plan in place to promote the spread of high-speed internet access. That still true or can I put off that move to Canada a little longer? :roll:

In the UK a Welsh company has had the brilliant idea of laying optic fibre down the sewers. Saves digging up the roads to provide high-speed broadband.

Sewer is a terrible solution to laying down fiber optic. Do you notice how often utility company have to repair power lines in the city? Big problem with sewer is the huge amount of rats that dwell there. They will gnaw through anything.

ngocthach1130 said:
Sewer is a terrible solution to laying down fiber optic. Do you notice how often utility company have to repair power lines in the city? Big problem with sewer is the huge amount of rats that dwell there. They will gnaw through anything.

Uhh, it's as easy as positioning the cable where the rats can't get to. I do believe sewers are either cylindrical or have some sort of roof.

The AT&T / Bellsouth $10 deal actually started two years ago and is ending this December.

It's only for people with existing phone lines, you can't get the $10 rate with no phone, I tried.

However they have a $20 deal for people without phone lines and the price is guaranteed for two years once you join with no commitment, so that's decent. It's called "Naked DSL" and they have a special phone number for it

There is no install fee, and if you don't have a DSL modem it's $50 from them. If you don't have credit, you can pay a $50 deposit and avoid credit check. Call 1-866-949-0023 for more info/signup

Unlike my cable company which raises it's prices every six months :x grr

Ah, good soap. I quit the band long time ago. Actually I'm on a pair gain card.

Back