do you believe in god?

• yes

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • no

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ya, there's more than one of us.

I believe in you DaveAK, but no, I wont lend you money.

Good Old Denis

:lol:

If you want to see god, it is very easy, look in a mirror.
The guy you see there is responsible for all the good and the bad that happens to you.

Those who want to know need not look far. I already knew before this happened. http://www.nderf.org/Duane's%20NDE.htm Hard to deny it now. I have six grandchildren at the moment.

In the Bullshit Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman. 'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.
Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you.
He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!
-- George Carlin Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997

Life did not start by chance.

I respectfully disagree. I used to believe that, but now, I think it is all by chance. How could it be any other way? Look at the creatures under the ocean. Look at the variety on land. the species. Look at insects. We just got a bit to evolved and became self aware, like a few other species. On top of that, we have an opposing thumb. It's been trouble for us ever since.

We need to feel that we are special.We used to think the Sun revolved around the Earth. We are just wired that way. We think we serve some "purpose", that there is some great plan and it all hinges on us. Bullcrap.

I like the saying Live life! This is not a dress rehearsal.

I think what will blow peoples minds, is when it is proven, that this is not even the only universe. Right now, some people are freaking out as to whether there is intelligent life elsewhere in our universe. because they like to think we were "created" by "someone" because he has a plan. Wait till they find out that there are many universes! (If this can be proven in the future)

I predict from what I have been reading, that science will show us that this universe is only one of many. I can't wait for that NASA project in 2018 that will try to find out if there are other universes.

There is something going on, but we haven't even got a clue yet. But, as time goes on, it seems like we are learning more and more about our existence.

EMF- I likewise respectfully disagree.

I mentioned nothing of purpose, religion, or evolution. They are mute points until the occurrence of life is accounted.

Think of the absolute most simple form of life of your choosing. Maybe some bacteria? Maybe a single cell algae? A virus? Take your pick.

It had to meet a few bits of criteria to continue existing for longer than the lifespan of it's cell (and make no impact on starting a species). It has to have a means to harvest and harness energy, or due to basic thermodynamics, it's can not continue to function. Second, it either must be immortal, or it needs to have a way to reproduce/duplicate/divide. There are actually a handful of other things, but it's not needed, as the first two are so vastly complex, nothing humans have done through out all of humanity is even of mild significance when compared with the most simple form of life.

Imagine you're exploring some remote planet, and you happened to trip, and look down, and you find the very computer all setup that you are using to read this post, with the same software loaded and everything. Think of it's ultra purity photo-lithography created CPU with millions of transistors, and it's spinning HDD(s), and it's RAM, and it's plastic and metal case and cooling fans all working together with electrical energy. Would you assume this was created by random chance, despite the refined basic compounds used to create it not existing anywhere naturally on the planet, so the pieces wouldn't even be possible to get randomly assembled? Creating that computer by random chance would seem downright likely in comparison to creating even the most simple form of life, which is so many orders of magnitude more complex, it approaches infinity in comparison to our greatest human inventions.

liveforphysics said:
Would you assume this was created by random chance, despite the refined basic compounds used to create it not existing anywhere naturally on the planet, so the pieces wouldn't even be possible to get randomly assembled?
Or that it evolved up from a Pentium to a Pentium II to a Pentium III etc...just through force of will and eons of time?

To me that is a religion in itself. The tremendous leap of faith that is required to believe that a mammal who roamed the beaches searching for food in the shallows of the ocean had such a tremendous desire to be able to swim and catch its prey that it eventually developed those appendages and became a whale is undeniably a religion.

If that is the case, then I'm going to go outside and look up at flying birds and desire with all my being to be able to catch them for dinner. Then I will tell my children to do the same, and that they should teach their children. Then someday, my ancestors will have an advantage over the rest of humanity by being able to fly.

In the physical world increasing entropy is the natural state.

In science, everything devolves...The earth is cooling...the sun is using up its energy...carbon 14 reduction...nuclear half life...

But only Life evolves and advances to a higher state?...oh, the mental calisthenics that are needed to avoid creationism.

liveforphysics said:
I mentioned nothing of purpose, religion, or evolution. They are mute points until the occurrence of life is accounted.
Not really since the study of genetics has allowed us to track and observe the genetic mutations by which life develops to ever more complex states. What you ought to explain is why the initial phase of increasing molecular complexity and self replication should have a fundamentally different dynamic to the mutations which drive the rest of biological evolution. Unless of course you're with TPA on this and reject the overwhelming evidence for biological evolution. Why would some conscious entity go to the effort of creating single cell organisms and not go the whole hog. Er, perhaps hog is the wrong word here. :roll: :lol: No offense intended. The significant thing to appreciate is that the methodology of religious thought is the inverse of the scientific method. There is a very good reason why the moto of the Royal Society is 'Nullius in verba', roughly translated as 'Take nobody's word for it'.

TPA said:
But only Life evolves and advances to a higher state?...oh, the mental calisthenics that are needed to avoid creationism.
Why would it surprise you that the discovery of evolution and the study of genetics require an enormous amount of effort? :? :roll:

Now for a spot of what I consider philosophical poetry;

The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.
Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.
Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers on the chain not in order that man shall continue to bear that chain without fantasy or consolation, but so that he shall throw off the chain and pluck the living flower. The criticism of religion disillusions man, so that he will think, act, and fashion his reality like a man who has discarded his illusions and regained his senses, so that he will move around himself as his own true Sun. Religion is only the illusory Sun which revolves around man as long as he does not revolve around himself.
It is, therefore, the task of history, once the other-world of truth has vanished, to establish the truth of this world. It is the immediate task of philosophy, which is in the service of history, to unmask self-estrangement in its unholy forms once the holy form of human self-estrangement has been unmasked. Thus, the criticism of Heaven turns into the criticism of Earth, the criticism of religion into the criticism of law, and the criticism of theology into the criticism of politics.

From...Introduction to A Contribution to the Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right
by Karl Marx

Hegel and Marx

oy!

:roll:

Oh yeah, you 'aint seen nuffin yet.

Engels says: “Hegel was the first to state correctly the relation between freedom and necessity. To him, freedom is the appreciation of necessity"

Sorry people, none of your "no" votes hold water. I have been on the other side and God is there as well as your family members passed on. They wait anxiously for you to return home. With the knowledge gained here on earth and that which we have forgotten we continue eternally either happy or in a state of endless torment depending on our choices and deeds in our current lives.
No one can answer the question in a way that will make you believe but God himself and few will do the work then actually listen when the answer comes. Most of the world is in error and you will listen to them instead. It is a very sad state of affairs the world is now in.
Everything testifies that God is. The way our solar system is arranged so the earth is the exact distance from the sun it needs to be to support life as well as the moon’s orbit to give the ocean it’s movement. Even Saturn’s rings for us to look at and marvel testify of our creator. The perfect mix of gasses to protect us from the sun yet allow us suck in a breath of life does not exist by chance. All plants and animals replicate their own not something different unless someone interferes in the natural cycle. The very elements we need to sustain our lives and build our society just happen to be here? Find a mathematician and work it out. The chances for even a single one of these things occurring by itself is astronomical. Even more so, when you add in all that supports life and the society we now have.
Do the work, understand and make the change.

fechter said:
What?! Some of you don't believe in me?

:mrgreen:
EmperorRedux.jpg
(with a nod to Math)

I believe God has a much better sense of humor than most religious people would expect.
buffjesus-1.jpg

TylerDurden said:
fechter said:
What?! Some of you don't believe in me?

:mrgreen:

(with a nod to Math)

That guy appears to be resting his foot on a thunder sky LiFePO4 cell. lol

Back