• Disc brakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Traditional rim brakes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monster

100 kW
now we can all go 40mph i was just wondering what brakes ppl have?

The poll didn't allow me to select both. I have a front disk that came with the bike, and a front rim brake I had installed because the there wasn't room between the rear dropouts for both my X5 and the stock rear disk brake. So two front brakes, no rear brake.

I have the same problem as xyster and lessss. My trike/trailer combo has one V-brake, two disk brakes, and three motor brakes. I picked the disk brake option on the poll, because they do quickly stop my over 420 pound gross, but I have never exceeded 28 MPH. One problem neither me nor my LBS have been able to overcome is an initial pull to the left when the disks are applied (disks are on back wheels of trike). At the higher speeds, it brakes in a straight line if light pressure is first applied to the front V-Brake.

Ypedal said:
My Chaos has Disk brakes, Mechanical not hydraulic.

All my other bikes have V-Brakes.

No contest, disk brakes rule !

It's definitely a contest on my bike which came with dual 6" disks that don't stop any stronger than the rim brakes I put on it. The front disk stops smoother, but fades going down steep hills. The front rim isn't nearly as smooth, but feels stronger and doesn't seem to fade like my disk. I usually use them both simultaneously to reduce pad wear, and stop smoothly and swiftly.

You have those hurkin' 8" disks, right? And probably better quality pads and such....

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2400011004885876876&q=norco+72v&total=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Old video, but at the one minute mark you can see how it stops.

Yep 8" ! front and back

I'm pretty sure i can lock up any wheel at any speed if i grab enough lever !

Hayes MX2 , stock pads, i picked up spares last year that i have not yet installed.. 20 $ per set.

I'd be surprised if you can lock up the front tire (sticky road tire, on dry pavement) at speed with the MX2s.

Lowell said:
I'd be surprised if you can lock up the front tire (sticky road tire, on dry pavement) at speed with the MX2s.
Errr... isn't the interest more around how things perform under adverse? Ice? Slush? Mud?

I clicked "rim" brakes, `cause that's all I have been using on the Currie scoots.

They do actually come with a back wheel "band" brake, which seems to work great.

I dunna really know about the back brake performance only because the front brake on the scoots does the job 99.999% of the time.

Yah, I know the rim brakes suck in the slush/rain/whatever, but I just adjust driving style to suit.

I have a motor to play with now that does accept a disc. And I had a conversation recently with a national team cyclist-type/sort that declared disc the only way to go for wet.

But I'll stick w/rim for now.

A much better quality rim brake than I am familiar with to date...

As a simplier, lighter and easier to mount and clean (mud/ice) than the disc?

tks

Lock

Lock said:
Yah, I know the rim brakes suck in the slush/rain/whatever, but I just adjust driving style to suit.

I have a motor to play with now that does accept a disc. And I had a conversation recently with a national team cyclist-type/sort that declared disc the only way to go for wet.

Magnetic braking responds like ABS in wet or any other conditions, (tho technically it's not because the feedback isn't automatic). Until you experience regenerative braking (properly implemented I might add), it's like the first time you hear stereo, you're blown away like the guy in the Maxwell ad, or at least I was. I have a whole new confidence driving on winter pack-ice.

It's ideal for stop-n-go, saving wear on brake pads, I almost never have to touch them. Without regen I'd probably be replacing pads (rim) every few months, as it is I haven't needed to in almost 3 years. Regen braking is not the best for downhill tho, could call it 'fade' once the current gets too high & there's nowhere to dump it but that's more a limitation of the battery.

Lock said:
Lowell said:
Errr... isn't the interest more around how things perform under adverse? Ice? Slush? Mud?

A disc brake should have no trouble in ice, slush or mud. The real test is how quickly they can stop you in an emergency situation, and how easily they can be modulated.

About a gazillion years ago I learned to drive trucks that didn't stop on a dime and it was necessary to look far ahead and anticipate. As stupid as it may have been, the back brake broke on a Matchless 750cc I used to have and learned to stop with only the front brake for a long time until I finally found a replacement part.

Then, many years later I bought a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I. I still have this automobile and it still, despite putting five thousand dollars worth of brakes, lines and cylinders on it seven years ago, won't stop. No Rolls enthusiast will stand in front of a Silver Cloud.

As a result the rim brakes on the bike work. I anticipate and plan ahead and the worse conditions become the more I plan. A fun experience in braking for the uninitiated is presented on my electric scooters. My five year old GS Moon three wheeled 24 volt, 21 amp scooters reach a top speed of around 12 miles an hour and a panic stop locks the front drum brake causing fun things to happen to the rest of the scooter. Usually you don't do this twice.

Research is underway to provide better rim braking without breaking the bank. The rim brakes on my Cannondale will just about lock the wheels but they are higher end center pull systems and Ill probably wind up going that route.

tell me about these regenerative brakes, they sound sexy!

i have rim brakes front and back but they suck in the wet and down hill. i want to get a front disc brake but my forks and wheel would both need to be changed :(

does anyone know of a type of front disc or regen brake that will retro fit normal bikes?

There's no option for a Band Brake....I use a front band brake on my ebike,it works reasonably well in all weather.I'm waiting for a new threaded side cover for my hub motor so I can install another band brake on or a disc brake on the rear.

I was a bit leery at first only using a front brake,I had visions of me flipping over the whole bike ( did that on my old 18 speed Raliegh MTB when the rear cable broke a long time ago). With the weight of the ebike's batteries just above the crank and the rear hub motor it never feels as though the back of the bike even wants to lift,then again I've never locked up the brake either.

Eric

Nice to read about discs being so "weather-friendly"... I'll only point out that I am concerned with wheels that are 16" and smaller, where the mechanical brake, of whatever sort, are quite a bit closer to the road than if mounted on a 20" or larger wheel...

And I do think regen is the way to go (in addition to a second/mechanical brake.)

The 16" C-Lyte motor I have is *brushed* and not brushless...

My understanding is, that regen is easier to implement with brushless?

Not sure. But also that regen is harder on motor brushes... May lead to more carbon dust and brush replacements?

Are there controllers available that provide regen and will work with C-Lyte motors, brushed or brushless?

tks

Lock

monster said:
tell me about these regenerative brakes, they sound sexy!

i have rim brakes front and back but they suck in the wet and down hill. i want to get a front disc brake but my forks and wheel would both need to be changed :(

does anyone know of a type of front disc or regen brake that will retro fit normal bikes?

Rim brakes also suck when they wear right through your $$ rim and the tire deflates.

As for retro fitting discs, it's not worth the trouble. You'll need a new hub anyways to mount the disc, and used forks with disc tabs can be found for $20 at most junk stores.

Back