Votes: 27 25.0%
  • Yes - And I'd pay for it

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • No - Waste of time

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters

wildnrg

10 W
I'm thinking of wiring up a bluetooth interface to my CA and writting an iPhone app for it. Just wanted to know if it would be useful to others.

Palm Pre app pls. Since it's based on linux I could just take the serial output and send it via bluetooth and then develop my own app. But I would much rather buy one:D

Yes I'd be interested in that for sure. Especially if data logging could be done and then emailed in a format such as .CVS straight from the iPhone.

As much as I like my iPhone screen, I'm still quite happy with the readability and amount of data on the CA display so for actual riding I'm happy enough to just glance at the CA.

Apparently the SDK doesn't support serial port protocol, so its going to take a bit of thinking to work out how to communicate between the CA and the iPhone, the alternative is to connect a WIFI module to the CA and communicate over IP this opens up the door for iPod touch to also be used.

i think they locked the bluetooth module too.... so its just for mono-audio. So far no ability to serial interface unless you jailbreak your iphone.

The other way is as described above, use an wifi to serial converter like the wiport from lantronics.

I have an iTouch...same functionality (including bluetooth and wireless) just no phone parts...

I voted Yes - Do have an iPhone in the poll before I saw the paying vote part, I would definitely be willing to pay!

I've looking at two options here.

1. Bluetooth serial is probably the most simple, but that requires approval from Apple's made for ipod program.
2. I've also seen a serial to wifi gateway that takes the serial input and outputs XML.

I'd be looking at doing it using a Wifi Dongle. I've started reading about iphone development, and wifi sounds like the best (and easiest bet), plus it would be cool for your bike to have WIFI. There are car setups similar to this already that use wifi to transmit data read from the odb2 port to your iphone.

The bluetooth serial option seems to be the best option from an implementation point of view, but you should see the number of hoops and questions I'm getting from Apple to just the Made for iPod program.

last time i checked, they didn't even open stereo bluetooth for the iphone let alone serial.... the iphone code is pretty much locked down, unless you jail break the phone.

I've tried for months to get info on the SDK from apple .... and thus far, serial wifi seems to be the only answer I've found.... because the serial port on the iphone is locked, bluetooth is locked, no other good ways of comm (no usb host, IR).

frodus said:
last time i checked, they didn't even open stereo bluetooth for the iphone let alone serial.... the iphone code is pretty much locked down, unless you jail break the phone.
Wrong.

Bluetooth A2DP (Stereo bluetooth) has been available since iPhone OS3.0

Bluetooth Serial Port Protocol is available in the SDK only if you are on the MFI program, which apple are making me jump through hoops for. They are asking me questions like who's going to make,build,assemble,test,sell the hardware, when in reality its a case of connecting a few wires between two devices and writing the application.

hence the phrase "last time i checked".....

what I meant is, I don't think stereo bluetooth is open in the SDK for the iphone to make an APP..... that was the last time i checked though, not sure if the SDK opens all that up..... don't jump on me, its been a few months since I read up on it, we moved to another platform/device.

I know serial is available on the iphone, its just hard to implement because you have to be authorized to use it.

Bluetooth serial/wifi/serial via dongle is all available, but its somewhat on lockdown, except for wifi.

I would definately pay around $30 to have this feature. It's the future... Only I want it now :twisted:

I spoke to Apple a few weeks ago, they wanted a whole pile of details to get on the made of ipod program, still haven't heard back from them yet, will follow up soon. Its crap how I can't use the API without being on the program.

It would be extra cool if app could be integrated with the built in GPS. Having the speed data from the CA could help smooth out the GPS outliers too, the iPhone's GPS isn't the greatest.

Wow, see this is why it's good to occasionally browse around on the forums.

As extra incentive to those who are musing about attempting this, I'll put on the table $1000 cash or $2000 of ebikes.ca store credit to anyone who successfully makes an open source program that logs/displays CA data onto their iPhone. I'll up that to $1500/$3000 if it also links it with iPhone's GPS data so that there is a location, elevation, slope, and time stamp associated with each CA data point.

Interfacing to external devices to an iPhone isn't trivial, both bluetooth and the proprietary hardware connector would require signing up for the "made for iPhone" program and a whatever expenses they charge. However, as my friend Frank pointed out just today, you can bypass all of that by translating the CA data into a modulated audio signal (FKS) and get the data straight from the microphone jack. As is done here:

http://www.psfk.com/2009/08/prototype-iphone-credit-card-reader.html

I'm serious. Justin

justin_le said:
interfacing to external devices to an iPhone isn't trivial, both bluetooth and the proprietary hardware connector would require signing up for the "made for iPhone" program and a whatever expenses they charge.

...or I could easily get one of you more programing savvy guys the dev software and make the app exclusivly for jailbroken iPhones/ipod touch exclusivly especially considering how we all like open source here. I jailbroke mine at a cafe while eating a burger within 15 minutes of buying mine on craigslist and to me the iPhone is a hundred times as usefull that way. Compared to building an ebike it's a walk in the park

I can't jailbreak my iPhone, it's a work phone. Anyway if I was going to tackle this I'd rather not ask people to do something that may prevent them from getting timely security updates. I like the FSK idea a lot, would that require additional hardware in the CA? Even if it does, it's probably still a better way to go than wifi. The iPhone battery life might be an issue, because it can't go to sleep and keep sampling GPS data, so if we can turn off wifi that might help somewhat.

I seriously need to get a CA...

You can get the GPS to work while sleeping, you just have to play audio in the background. Quite a few of the commercial GPS apps recommend this as the only work around currently available.

Adrian

just go directly to wifi.... web based server, web based app, standalone device.... use iphone, android, any wifi enabled device....

I have an iPod touch that need some work on it's docking port. Since I've upgraded to an iPhone the idea is to hardwire it into my bike if only at the very least to provide tunes for the stereo. My friend who works on iPhone app developement insists it should be no problem to design an app that could interface with methods 100a controller, along with other functions.

I also have a iPhone 2g that got the old white screen of death. Don't know if it's the screen or the software but I wonder if a iPhone could be completely reprogramed to only perform one specific function.

frodus said:
just go directly to wifi.... web based server, web based app, standalone device.... use iphone, android, any wifi enabled device....

I love this idea frodus! This too is not trivial but it would be SOO nice! You would still have to mate a GPS device up somehow if that functionality is desired...

Apple are being dickheads. After providing info to apple and waiting around for a month, I email them to find out what's happening, they now tell me they need my lawyer's details. WTF? To get access to the bluetooth serial port API.

Back