Is Magic Pie a good name for a motor?

Is Magic Pie a good name for an ebike motor?

• Yes

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

JinbaIttai

100 W
What is your opinion on this matter?

I vote yes. It is clearly controversial, promoting publicity.

It is easier to write and remember than 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288...

Who doesn't like some kind of pie?

I think its bit odd but as TD points out it is memorable...would have to be
pretty special for me to own something called a "Magic Pie" though seems the majority
thus far think along the same lines... :?

KiM

Well.....I suppose you guys already know my opinion on this...

Black lightning is a good name for a motor. Conjures images of speed, stealth, excitement...

Roadrunner.... transportation, reliable, serves its purpose

Magic Pie....A dessert that requires no preparation, or perhaps serves itself to you. 8) I'm not real sure how to associate it with a motor. Sure it captures my attention, makes me look at it, even talk about it....but so did any serial killer you can think of. Just because you get attention, does not mean it is positive attention.

...But this is marketing. It could turn out that this is the best hub solution out there, and name perception means nothing. :lol:

The other side of the coin is, if you name a motor Black Lightning, it kinda needs to live up to that name. Ask Oatnet or dirtdad if that is the case. :mrgreen:

Well... just think about Crystalyte for a second before you go jumping down the Magic Pie's throat. I mean... Crystalyte... :lol: When I first got into ebiking I was like WTF is with this industry?

It may not be a "good" name in the traditional sense in which an American firm might name a product, but it certainly is memorable, has created some buzz already, and could work out well. The fact that there are so many threads discussing this motor when almost NO info is available is, to me, an indicator that the name should probably stay. The only problem is that if the motor really sucks, that memorable name will work very heavily against you and "Magic Pie" will become synonymous with "Bull Pie".

If you buy things by the name they're given, you are easy targets my friends.
The product itself is what matters.
Give me a motor with 100% efficiency, call it "little pussycat".
I'll buy it and laugh at your 60% efficient "thunderbolt mighty stallion".
( as long it's not written on it of course ) :lol:

Does it give anyone else the image in your mind that the motot is made out of a couple of Pie tins (what you bake pies in)
Sort of sounds "cheap" ...BUT as above poster mentions it ISn't about the name as much as the quality of the product...Still
think a more "appropriate" name would be fit a lecky motor than Magic Pie :-S

KiM

would it make any diff to the western market if 'magic' got replaced with 'american'?
u can make phunn of almost any name.
no name is bullet proof.

ya know how stealthelectricbikes have an aeroplane theme for their model names,
or the bird series of xltye?
i think this may the the start of an entire family of desert or pastry based motors.
altho i can't come up with anything that could top a magic pie.
magic jello??

the "Magic Pie" now with in-built "Mystic Muffin" (controller)

it's "Tragic"

I waited for comments before I'd vote no, but now I've changed my mind and will vote yes because of the buzz this silly name has created. Learn something new everyday. :wink:

Some pay many thousands for TV adds that are so damn well made that you remember it,
you talk about it with your friends and yet no one remembers the most important thing: the brand of the product.

We can say that GM hit the jackpot with this one. :lol:

AussieJester said:
Does it give anyone else the image in your mind that the motot is made out of a couple of Pie tins (what you bake pies in)

KiM

Nope. Makes me instantly think of cooch.

Takemehome said:
We can say that GM hit the jackpot with this one

as i've pointed out previously, there's a high element of risk that can backfire & bite them in the pie.
as soon as the first few broken spokes or blown hall switches gets reported you'll see how quickly the name can become a liability.
you just know that there'll be those who show up on these forums christening it a new K-O-W middle name & eagerly hammer away at it until my fingers are cracked & bleeding & i can't type anymore.

anysideways, FTW i tink ii gots it figgurd.
PIE is an acronym for the mathematical formula Power=Current*Volts
runners up include but not limited to:

Price In Effect
Process Improvement Experiment

and sure to become a hit if the universe don't unfold as expected,
Pulsed Irrigation Evacuation.

... cuz it's a crap shoot. :mrgreen:

To me I keep thinking "magnet pie". So maybe Magpie wouldn't be so far off. Or Mag-pi if you really wanted to sound intellectual. In American marketing flashy sounding names sell. Mustang, Camaro, and the like. Doesn't make it right, it's just the reality. Who cares, in the end the product should speak for itself. But the pie part sure does sound kinda' sexy. I've spent alot of money on the "magic pie" myself.

Magic bike, magic wheel, magic motor, etc good names for a hubmotor. Magic pie, a good name for a girlfreind. But it's true, you won't forget it soon. Sorta like Head On.

It makes me think of Cannabis Moon Pies -

Honestly... I wouldn't care if it was called "Crap Pie" if it worked well, was sturdy and efficient... they claim 90% efficiency or somthing, maybe that's the trick... 10% diverted to heat @ 450w is 45w of heat or the average light bulb..

-Mike

Back