Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I'm poor and i don't care.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Retired !

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Ypedal

Staff member
My daily grind consists of answering phone calls.. i do " Tech Support " .. been doing it for 10 years now. :(

It pays well enough that i won't quit, but i honestly HATE the job..

How sweet would it be to do something you love for a living.. ? :D

So.. what do you do.. and do you like it ?

I'm a struggling writer. I'll be going back to finish grad school later so I can do something I'll hopefully also love, but that pays a little better -- have to be able to afford the latest ebike technology! :D

I design microprocessors for Intel - I do digital VLSI circuit design. And I love it.

I do restoration work on 17th & 18th century musical instruments. I work for myself, from home. I like being self-employed and the work is interesting and varied. So, my work looks back in time, my hobby (ebikes & design) looks to the future....

Miles

I run a local company that does consulting for just about anything computer such as hosting, web design, etc. The business always keeps me on my toes.

Each week is busy, three to four times ebiking to the golf course, a home and boat, wife and grandkids to care for, an old Rolls that always needs attention, lots of good books, routine stuff that barely allows time for a nap. Didn't get one today, have to go spend time with my sons kids prior to bible school.

Being retired isn't sitting in a rocking chair and I really enjoyed my career (s) but after twelve year I have definitely decided retired, so far, is best. I'm still working on making it better.

I'm a clinical engineer at UCSF medical center. It can be nerve wracking at times when something craps out in the middle of surgery and I have to deal with it. I also have to deal with surgeons, some of which have a serious attitude problem.

On the other hand I get to play with super expensive toys and have a lot of resources at my disposal, so it balances out.

The most interesting part of my job is research, which is about 1/4 of my time on a good day. I have 4 patents pending for various medical devices. With a lot of luck, I might actually make money from one someday.

I'm a freelance translator, mostly Swedish, occasionally Danish and Norwegian. Originally trained and worked as a metallurgist so I get a lot of work with an engineering slant, although it can cover just about anything. I learn lots of fascinating, but mostly useless facts and I've been doing it so long now I'm too comfortable to look for anything else. I'd like Todd Kollin's job, but I'm just too damn lazy...

I'm currently engaging my time in study. I liked my job when I had it, but the boss seemed particularly over-bearing and many of the employees annoying. I guess that's typical of fast-food.

I'm a library page. I do the libraries' menial labor. It's okay. Pays better than minimum.

Stevil_Knevil said:
I am a meat Popsicle.

:wink: :p

-Stevil

Please, please, PLEASE tell me I'm misinterpreting that. :shock:

Link said:

Since it's one of my favorite movies I immediately recognized it as Bruce Willis in 5th Element. So... like.. yeah... you mis-interpreted that. :lol:

I work at the zoo.... Been working here for 17 years. I am 34. However, I do not work with the animals - I work for a private company that runs all of the visitor service aspects - concessions, gift, admissions, etc.. GM is my title.

.....I resigned this spring. many were surprised, as I make more than you would expect (why I can afford the 5 series motors :) ).... Anyways, I am here until spetember, on site until my replacement is comfortably position with the directors/board, etc...

I want to design, create, and build electric vehicles. I think I am probably going to return to college next year, and work at my local bike shop until complete.

" Most men live lives of quiet desperation" ....... No longer.....

This took a few years to decide, as I am walking away from the great bosom of the machine - 6M yearly budget.......

Still doesn't feel as good as riding an ebike :wink:

Peace,

len

I work at Leviton doing Lighting control systems during the weekdays. On some nights and Saturdays I work for a company called Synkromotive, building/designing/testing/implementing DC controllers for Electric vehicles, as well as technical support/brainstorming for new product ideas.

I love BOTH my jobs, but only one pays :)

I'm a Project Engineer on 3-4 construction sites. In Korea it's like herding cats. Most of the time I enjoy it, knowing when the building's finished I had a part in the quality.

I never worked a job I hated more than a few months. Of course it was easy to like most of my jobs, since they involved a hammer most of the time. Kinda hard to stay frustrated if you pound a few thousand nails a day.

pwbset said:
Link said:

Since it's one of my favorite movies I immediately recognized it as Bruce Willis in 5th Element. So... like.. yeah... you mis-interpreted that. :lol:

Yep, and we all know what the 5th Element is.. right?

Fact be known, I manage the only RadioShack in the U.S.A. that sells ebike kits 8)

...and I love my job!

I'm a CNC machinist.

It's very much different making someone else's parts than your own. If I had my own shop full of CNC's I'd never leave it. Working for someone else though, I can't wait to get out of there.

Overall though, not to bad. The skill makes lots of things possible, so I voted that I tolerate my job.

I used to build CNC for Prosthetics, we also designed 3d scanners.

Now I run and maintain Cyclotrons
radioactive.gif
. I get run a particle accelerator to smash proton beams into targets.
radioactive.gif

so I totally love my Job. :mrgreen:
radioactive.gif

Miles said:
I do restoration work on 17th & 18th century musical instruments. I work for myself, from home. I like being self-employed and the work is interesting and varied. So, my work looks back in time, my hobby (ebikes & design) looks to the future....

Miles
Good one Miles. I am self-employed too.

For one job I build/repair/restore furniture. Building mostly 18th century reproductions using a mix of modern and hand tools, but also making modern studio pieces of my own design if i can talk the client into it. I also do some production woodturning and specialty contract work for other woodworkers. It's a great job I've had for a long time, except for the money and some of the customers (little old ladies are a pain)

For my second job I do composites molding for competition r/c gliders in carbon/kevlar/fiberglass and make various related parts. Good side job, decent money, but not enough work to make a career of it, but covers my expenses for hobbies like buying r/c and e-bike stuff.

For my third job my wife and I own a small jewelry store making and designing and repairing jewelry. My wife and I work beside each other with no other employees. This might be a nightmare situation for some, but for us, works out OK... most of the time. It's kinda funny to be having a *ahem* heated discussion with your coworker and having a customer walk in. Then its all happiness and fake smiles to each other until the customer leaves! :D

I love my job!!!

As head of a small computer consulting firm I get to vary my daily grind by taking various programming contracts so I keep it interesting... since getting into eBikes some months back, I have successfully managed to integrate eBiking with my work and so basically... even on days where works sucks, I am looking forward to the ride to, ride from and if things are bad... the lunch ride (jesus, I sound like a junky).

I should add that I have been able to justify alot of "work" time spent experimenting with eBikes, controllers, motors, etc since 2 of my clients are in the EV (not eBike, EV) segment much of this "work" time is actually collecting engineering data for my clients and testing their technology in my platform (one client doesn't have their rolling platform yet, one does but needs the software/electronic support)...

What's not to love about that?

-Mike

PS: In so far as forums and online communities go, you guys here at ES are damn nice! Seriously, not all hobbies or passions are full of such helpful, intelligent, understanding and resourceful people... its been a real blast!

Ypedal said:
My daily grind consists of answering phone calls.. i do " Tech Support " .. been doing it for 10 years now. :(

You poor man i managed to last 18 months in Tech Support fora mobile phone company before scoring the Human Relations job THANKGOOOOOD... If your really that sick of it though mate, have a look about for something else when your Holidays are nearly due, maybe even do a few days if you find you like it don't return to your old job...

Me...i *don't (officially) work any more im on a pension now, my condition makes it impossible to have a full time set hours job, my day to day health is hit and miss unfortunately.

KiM

p.s YPedal...do they monitor your answered calls...as in how many you answer in a shift? My best for 8hours was 192 answered tech support calls :p Record that was never broken when i was there :)

Back