time you spend at a Wifi spot

Kaplag

10 mW
hey all,
How much time do you spend in wifi hotspots?
i'm looking into this for a project so if you have the time, that would rock

1 where you go? starbucks, dunkin donuts, local cafe, other

2 what do you do? drink coffee, web browse, work (online or off), hang out, any combination

3 do you bring a laptop? yes/no

4 if yes, are you able to charge it? yes/no

5 about how long do you stay there? get coffee and leave, 15-30m, 45-60m, 1 - 1.5h, 2h or more

so thats it, I figure 5 questions isn't so bad, and 2 are true/false : ]
if your wondering why i'm asking, check out my project page

_greg

1 starbucks
2 work, web browse required for work, coffee on the side
3 yes always have my laptop
4 sometimes
5 1.5 - 2 hours if working

Never used one...so none...

KiM

hey all,
How much time do you spend in wifi hotspots?
i'm looking into this for a project so if you have the time, that would rock

1 where you go? Einsteins Panara, Whole foods, library

2 what do you do? drink coffee, eat snacks, read

3 do you bring a laptop? no

4 if yes, are you able to charge it? I charge my ebike battery

5 about how long do you stay there? 30 -45 m inutes

so thats it, I figure 5 questions isn't so bad, and 2 are true/false : ]
if your wondering why i'm asking, check out my project page

_greg[/quote]

I have a developer version of the HTC G1 Android phone. At a single tap, the phone becomes it's own WiFi hotspot in my pocket through wireless tethering. This makes every place I go have a wireless hotspot. I also leave it unsecured so other people can use my connection for there own devices, an I label the access point name "free intarwib". Extended battery on my netbook, and 12hr battery life on my spiffy new UL30VT-X1 means no real need to charge.

1 - tim hortons in the mornin. pub rest of the day. sometimes a burger joint for lunch if im rushed

2- drink coffee at timmys - beer at the rest of my hangouts and for work its just sending email and checking building code rest of the time im f***'ing the dog on places like this.

3 - old laptop

4 - 50/50 whether im able to charge.

5 - mornings im usually not dragging my rear much but after lunch all bets are off .

i dont have a setup as slick as LFP but most of the places i spend my time i can mooch a connection and stay online if i wish. most likely to the detriment of productivity.

liveforphysics said:
I have a developer version of the HTC G1 Android phone. At a single tap, the phone becomes it's own WiFi hotspot in my pocket through wireless tethering. This makes every place I go have a wireless hotspot. I also leave it unsecured so other people can use my connection for there own devices, an I label the access point name "free intarwib". Extended battery on my netbook, and 12hr battery life on my spiffy new UL30VT-X1 means no real need to charge.

erm yea, no iphone tethering... thanks Att. glad to hear you share it.

about how long do you hang around?

I am MR Practical when it comes to electronics. I prefer the cheapest(the lowest priced quality) I can find. I am also a little stubbern. I had a lap top years ago when a 486 was moving like lightning McQueen on steriouds. I needed it then when I was going to school but once I didn't need it for school I lost all interest. I prefer my desk top and I have very few friends and only one of them uses any form of wireless other then a cell. I am not one to easily get on board with fads and I see the cost first in electronics. A lap top is two to three times more expensive to repair, so in the long term a desk top is far easier to keep running. That and I have met far two many hackers/crackers who alway's find a connection to break into so I use a wired connection. With a wired connection my expectation of privacy is heightened and I also enjoy a level of, all be it self delusional, of security. That and my modem is about three feet from my tower at all times so I have no need nor what for a wireless connection.

Cheers

1 where you go? Home, usually the kitchen for cooking food or electronics ;)

2 what do you do? look up info, spec sheets, recipes, etc.

3 do you bring a laptop? no, it's almost always already in there

4 if yes, are you able to charge it? yes

5 about how long do you stay there? 2h or more

Back