Which compression Software??

WInrar for

KiM

WinZip for the wrapper, though to be fair it is not an actual compression algorithm.

A limited license of ZIP compression is built into Windows Explorer and that code is at the core of the Cabinet (.CAB) compression alternative. This is the reason why you can compress files on the fly with Explorer. Unfortunately this wonderful ability is not exposed through the Windows API - much to my consternation.

Although there are different compression schemas out there, the ZIP is about the tops in terms of utility and platform cross-pollenization.

My $0.02

Kingfish said:
WinZip for the wrapper, though to be fair it is not an actual compression algorithm.

A limited license of ZIP compression is built into Windows Explorer and that code is at the core of the Cabinet (.CAB) compression alternative. This is the reason why you can compress files on the fly with Explorer. Unfortunately this wonderful ability is not exposed through the Windows API - much to my consternation.

Although there are different compression schemas out there, the ZIP is about the tops in terms of utility and platform cross-pollenization.

My $0.02

You don't like 7-zip?

You don't like 7-zip?

A rhetorical question. As a user, I’m lazy: I use what’s in front of me; the lion’s share of my clients, friends, and family are on Windows.

If however I am developing an application then I will either A) roll my own to fit a specific need, or B) borrow the best economical model with the least liability attached. When I get to that point – the client (owner) typically has something in mind as in the license to the SDK, or a request to use a particular emerging technology.

There is one other factor and that when I deal with web services we get compression OOB and it’s just a bit or two to flip. Big drawback on that though is whether the applications can scale accordingly, handle the bandwidth, compression/decompression, etc because topologies are often constrained or purposed to a specific task. If I can get involved early enough in the Dev cycle I often consider how much I can push off to the end-user as oppose to having the server manage the stream; it’s just cheaper that way (yes, I’ve written decompression schemes in Jscript). I am also a fan of writing compression into the production cycle to off-load the server. Lots of ways to shave the kitty.

I suppose it’s fair to say that Open-Source is generally shied away in commercial apps because of accountability. Looks neat though. Have you inspected using lossless image compression algorithms and compared densities? Now fold in encryption and stir… Get’s pretty wild. 8)

So – did I tell you that my next eBike will natively enable lossless compression of Time! And I hope to encrypt my transit past law enforcement so as to be immutable with the background. Wouldn’t that be fun?

...?... Do your Windows computers come preinstalled with WinZIP? There's a windows version of 7zip. It will do ZIP format if platform neutrality is needed.

The OP was asking which compression software to use, maybe we should just have said, "whatever's in front of you." :lol: :mrgreen:

I suppose it’s fair to say that Open-Source is generally shied away in commercial apps because of accountability.

Commercial apps like Windows XP? MacOS? Google Android? Would you also recommend shying away from open source libraries and platforms like the ones used by some Peoplesoft apps, SAP apps, Amazon.com, Facebook, Twitter...?

Replying to julesa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 am…

Do your Windows computers come preinstalled with WinZIP? ...
My computers are wiped clean and custom built for development; I only load what I absolutely need for business. Years ago I paid for a particular Zip-varietal site license because it came with an API that I could leverage with some applications that we had in development.

Commercial apps like Windows XP? MacOS? Google Android? Would you also recommend shying away from ...

I haven’t recommended anything: I rendered an opinion. Some entities cannot take that risk of using open-source for multitudes of reasons vastly beyond the scope of this thread, though I can offer salient examples for and against…
  • Closed-source: Dictated by contract, by the Government or Financial institution for security.
  • Open-source: Some companies desire widespread adoption so you’ll run out and buy more products.
We are at all times surrounded within the extremes of both choices. Selecting the one that best suits your needs is often called “free choice” whether it is or not. Caveat emptor.

BTW – isn’t sharing technical information with regards to building performance eBikes a form of openness? I’m for that. And yet – if I invested a boatload of money to develop a clever way of building a better mouse-trap which is greatly helpful to people, shouldn’t I be allowed to protect that idea and sell it? In that case, it’s closed-source. Hopefully no one will think me harshly for it. :wink:

7Zip hands down - nice integration with Windows GUI but also cross platform for Mac and I think normal Linux... plus the even better bit - it's FREE!!!

I've been usng 7zip for years and have even gotten some fortune 500 companies to implement it durring my consulting gigs.

-Mike

Kingfish said:
if I invested a boatload of money to develop a clever way of building a better mouse-trap which is greatly helpful to people, shouldn’t I be allowed to protect that idea and sell it? In that case, it’s closed-source. Hopefully no one will think me harshly for it. :wink:

Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with closed source, and certainly I would not think harshly of anyone trying to make a living off of their own hard work. That's not what I'm saying. I just don't think a 'lack of accountability' is a fair portrayal of open source projects, especially when you consider what level of accountability you get with commercial alternatives. Have you read a EULA for a commercial software package recently? :lol:

Commercial closed-source applications are built on top of open source software and platforms all the time. Apparently most people aren't as concerned about accountability as some (in Redmond?) might like them to be. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back