Why are you here?

Why are you here?

• Regulations have caused me to abandon sweet petrol.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Electric is the future!

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • I dislike financially supporting the middle east.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I dislike financially supporting terrorists through supporting the middle east.

Votes: 31 20.7%
  • I like certain characteristics of electric propulsion. (Explain)

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Gas price spikes had me running for something more sustainable.

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • National security.

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Because I'm an electricity nerd and I must display my nerdy prowess!

Votes: 47 31.3%
  • Because I'm a vendor of products related to electric vehicles.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Because electric propulsion is the right thing to do.

Votes: 49 32.7%
  • Because I care about the environment.

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 40 26.7%
  • Because I'm concerned about human-induced climate change.

Votes: 27 18.0%
  • Because I'm interested in sustainable technology.

Votes: 64 42.7%
  • Because I dislike pollution that harms human health (Increase in carcinogenic risk, impact on the he

Votes: 52 34.7%

• Total voters

swbluto

10 TW
Just curious about this one. I'm here because I see the end of oil is nigh and I'm taking steps to adapt to that future. And other people have other reasons. For example, a certain joker from Australia seems to be here because of tightening regulations with unlicensed gas powered bikes, and seems to have little genuine interest in electrics. So, in a way, his 'interest' is forced.

So, why are you here?

I would say my interest is forced as well. I have always been into electricity and motors. I also love anything with two wheels, and have been riding and wrenching bikes as a lifestyle since I was 2. I started a business selling small scale R/C traction motors in 2005, and I like to fabricate things. This mesh of interests and life resulted in hacked up bikes with electric motors on them. So now it is a hobby, small part of my business, and a great joy to ride such quiet and powerful vehicles. Nothing beats a fast invigorating ride across town on a few pennies of electricity.

voicecoils said:
Interesting that you've chosen to omit a selection relating to issues of the environment, sustainability, or human induced climate change...

That could be either of the last two choices.

voicecoils said:
Interesting that you've chosen to omit a selection relating to issues of the environment, sustainability, or human induced climate change...

I've added them accordingly. I knew my initial set of choices would reflect my bias. :)

I also like the "silent" power of an electric. There something unreal about twisting the throttle and accellerating while making virtually no sound. Plus no gas no oil no mess. :mrgreen:

torker said:
I also like the "silent" power of an electric. There something unreal about twisting the throttle and accellerating while making virtually no sound.

I know it's so unreal, it's like others didn't believe me. :) During my first takeoff, I had the family watching and they saw me took off and I was smiling ear from ear but since it didn't make a noise and gave no other indication of propulsion other than effortless biking, they seemed to act as if I were crazy and "didn't believe me"(or, rather, it was like "What's so exciting about *that*?"). Then I *forced* my sister to ride it, and she was grinning from ear to ear afterwards. :mrgreen:

They have to ride it to believe it.

Yes, silence is golden. Especially when you need to be as stealth as possible when doing smash and grab food runs deep into zombie territory. Speaking of which, I noticed zombies was specificly left out of the voting options. What gives?

I came on my bike.
Riding a bicycle has always been a revolutionary act.
One that gets lubed and painted anew with every progressive social change during the past 140 years.

i say other because a lot of options apply and with electric bikes there are no licensing requirements like there are for cars.

so far as far as i know of the police officers probably are dummies when it comes to electric and there are no labeling standards like there are with gas engines so identifying the power is difficult.

also the police are probably too busy fighting real crime than to be bothered with minor things.

I am one of the "others" Hi my name is Duane I have an addiction. Well OK then maybe more than one. ;^) I quit two other addictions to have this one, as I was unable to continue with the others cuz the voices said. I am pretty beat up physically but have always loved to hike, bike and be outside. Actually need the low impact aerobic and this is just the ticket. It is nice to at least look healthy as I cruise down the road passing all the cars on the e-bike. There is always another addiction to master if you but look around.

I got fed up sitting in a tin box alongside lots of other tin boxes, and noticed that the only thing moving faster than pedestrians were bikes and motorbikes. I've always thought that internal combustion engines are ridiculously overcomplicated once they get beyond the original two-stroke concept, so electric it has to be.

Other.

I like riding bicycles, it carries with it a sense of freedom, owing to its exposure to the elements, lightness of vehicle, and relatively simple technology. Even someone as mechanically challenged as myself can do basic work and maintaince on the "vehicle", whereas with a complicated car, getting more and more complicated every year, I am at the mercy of spiffs who could be telling me anything to line their own pockets. I was once charged $30 for radiator fluid as part of a normal scheduled service for a car I owned - just a small example of the ingrained racketeering which comes with the car culture.

Added to the sense of freedom of a bicycle are all the regulations surrounding cars, such as registration, license, speed limits and parking. A little assistance in this sense of freedom which does not involve bringing the government onto one's own back to burden the ride explains my interest in electric engines and presence here. The ideal cycling world doesn't have big hills. Electric engines help to iron out the imperfections while still retaining the essence of the cycling experience, depending on the type of electric assistance.

Part of my attraction to bikes is my aversion to car culture, whether that be the egotism tied up in the image of a car, or the dominance of the car in cities and towns, which deprive people of living and community space, creates noise, unpleasant air to breath, friction between people and stress generally. Then there is all the killing and injuries. People, particularly children, are constantly in danger from cars.

Most importantly, speed is relative and everyone would gain a great deal by slowing down a considerable pace, smelling the roses. They are out there. It seems a shame to be rushing by them all the time. If everyone is going fast, no-one is moving ahead of anyone else. Might as well take it is easy and relax a bit.

Ironical that having all the physical work done for oneself in the way of a combustion engine is actually more stressful than doing it yourself in the final equation when all is considered.

I also just like electricity. Bicycles and electricity are two of man's best inventions. It doesn't seem like a bad idea to combine them.

'
" Bicycles and electricity are two of man's best inventions. "

There is one for quotable quotes. I think that sums it up well. :idea:

I dislike financially supporting greedy oil companies, regardless of where their oil comes from.

I also hate waste and inefficiency, regardless of what's being wasted.

swbluto said:
For example, a certain joker from Australia seems to be here because of tightening regulations with unlicensed gas powered bikes, and seems to have little genuine interest in electrics. So, in a way, his 'interest' is forced.

So, why are you here?

BWAHAHAHAA.... 100% Correct ..now suck it up and deal with it like a big boy instead of bitching and moaning like a princess. I have an electric bike gives me as much right to be here as you, i prefer ICE so what? Many here do...I also like certain aspects the electric offers none of which are environmental ...you bitching and moaning like a queen isn't going to change that.... :: tissue:: ?

*unsubscribed*

KiM

yeah, yule never con vince o z'z to give up their preh shizz ice machines, regardless of the size of their ozone hole or how many layers of cancer hats there forced to ware...
their cheeks will always go naked tho.

saw a documentary once that clearly demonstrated this.
even in a post nooklar apaco lipptik distopea, how the remaining aus population desperately clung to the last few drops of guzzle lean.

australien version of 'who killed the electric car' think it wuz.

Between my powerboats, large gas-guzzling heavy duty pickup truck, and RV, I'm a slave to the oil companies. My efforts toward saving the environment don't go much further than the token little blue (paper) and green (glass, metal, and plastics) recycling bins the local waste management company provides me. Heck, even such recycling efforts have been criticized as being more of an environmental impact than just burying the crap in the ground... who knows. I still even buy plastic bottled water now and again for the convienance. :twisted:

I like to tinker and I've always like electric motor powered stuff.

grindz145 said:
To pick up chicks.... 8)

You've come to the right place! Chicks love electric engines and tech talk. It's an aphrodisiac to them. Never seen anything like it before in my life. All I do these days is stand on a street corner pointing to my electric engine on my trike parked in front of me and they go straight for my pant's zipper. It turns them into animals. It makes me feel like a prostitute offering freebies.

No registration or taxes. No drivers licence needed. As reliable as you make it. A "gas station" at every outlet.

But even more than all that, the ability to use non-roads, like bike paths, trails, parks, etc.

I'm here to learn and share about EV's, primarily the 2 and 3 wheel variety. ES had the most complete info when I was searching for answers to some noob I'm attracted to EV's and learning more about them because they are the future. questions.

Why do I ride an ebike:
1. I can get from A to B faster than with a car.
2. Silent transportation is a great feeling.
3. I get extreme satisfaction serving 90% of my transportation needs using something I built myself.
4. Ebikes are the most efficient form of transportation known to man.
5. No license, registration, or taxes.

Liveforphysics wrote:
No registration or taxes. No drivers licence needed.
Dude, you said it for me. It’s the last freedom of travel that we have. Even horses get fee’d.

grindz145 wrote:
To pick up chicks....
Dude is right! I’ll tell you what: I was heading out of SeaTac last holiday and as soon as I plopped down in the chair I took out my notepad and began scribbling mods to my hubs. Cute girl next to me couldn’t take her eyes off the steam coming from my pen as I drew page after page filled with dimensions and tolerances, wiring diagrams and the like. When the stewardess came by for drinks I quickly looked over to place my order and suddenly caught her eyes staring lovingly into mine.

Heck with the pen man; I told her what I was working on… Next thing I know I’m getting the 20-questions, and at the end of that – her number! :wink:
Technology rocks!
~KF

Back