What is your tire width?

What is your largest or specialty tire width?

• < 1.75"

Votes: 6 9.1%

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • 1.9 - 1.95

Votes: 5 7.6%

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 2.2 - 2.25

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • 2.3 - 2.35

Votes: 6 9.1%

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • > 2.5

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • other (explain)

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
My first survey :)
Personally, I am on the hunt for a dependable durable long-distance touring tire. I am curious what tire widths other folks are using on their rigs, and why. Select the closest width for your largest or specialty tire(s).

If you can, please comment:
  • Tire Model/Specs, MFR
  • Rim size, MFR if known
Any thing else you have to add is gravy!

Example: I run the Continental Contact Reflex 26" x 1.75 on a Champion (Chinese import) rim (mounted on my 9C 2806).
Thanks!

I use 24x2.95in on the front and 20x4.25in on the back...Front is a Hookworm the rear unsure of the brand
tiz a semi slick tire sold by ChoppersUS. Rear rim is double walled alloy fron some generic piece of crap that
will soon be changed for high end downhill variant.

KiM

Maxxis Hookworms

Front 26"x2.5"
Rear 24"x2.5"

They don't look as balloony as I feared. Good quality tyre, but a bit expensive.

Michelin City Pilots 26x1.75 F&R @ 80 PSI. Not the City, but City Pilot. Non-Pilot version does not have side wall puncture protection. Last set got about 3K miles without a flat, and if you don't mind riding below half the original tread, probably good for 4-5K miles.

-- Alan

El_Steak said:
Do you have a picture of your bike, I'm really interested to see how it looks with the different size wheels.

thx

El Steak,

26" front, 24" rear Hookworms

View attachment Gregs bike incomplete.jpg

It's a subtle difference. Here's a side on photo of the incomplete bike, taken straight on at knee height, it's even less noticeable standing above it.
A 20" rear is sensible for high voltage but I just don't like the look. So this is my compromise.

Once I get a black front rim to match the rear I don't think you'd spot the difference at a casual glance.
In 24" you get less tyre choices and Hookworms were one of the few I could get a matching pair of in Australia.

Oh and the OP wanted rim info - rear is Sun Ringle Mag 30, 10g spokes and 5305, front needs replacing once I can find a good rim second hand.

Thanks for the picture, looks very nice.

I run a high voltage (88v) setup and reducing the wheel size would help a lot with efficiency (and acceleration). I have a hardtail so a 20" wheel is not an option as it brings the pedals too close to the ground and I can't adjust. That would be a good compromise.

Kenda K-Rad 26 x 2.3 Cause they were wide and on sale for 11 dollars each at the lbs. :mrgreen: I was worried cause the sidewalls are thin. They remind me of a drag slick. But they are holding up good. But alas I am no Dogman so your mileage may vary. :mrgreen:

I have 1.95 on front and rear as that is all I could fit under the required fenders for the year round commute here in Portland. Having full suspension I don't need more tire for the ride. Son-in-laws bike will have some meats though. Doesn't rain much in the desert.

"Other"
Front, Schwalbe Big Apple 50-305 aka 16" x 2" ... (Only `cause I'm happy w/12.5" but can't find quality rubber in this size.)
Rear Xootr 7" x 1"... cast wheel w/polyurethane "tire". (Should mean less bloody ankles plus fewer flat tires... Also believe it'll be easier to drag through snow and slush. Trolley tracks and drain covers may be interesting.)
Poll did not offer choice of mixed widths...
:wink:
LocK

If yer having difficulty finding tires - I just put this topic together yesterday: Rims and Tires Reference

My next ebike will have 2.5" or larger if I can get what I'm looking for in the USA :roll:
~KF

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.1 on one bike, Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35 on the udder...

Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 on 26". Nice big mountainbike tire to handle my 5304.

I voted 2.35" because I love the ride of my Big Apples on le Béte. They're noticeably larger than the 2.1" ones.
Fender clearance is touchy but they look great.
The other ebike runs 26 X 1.75" Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I'll put the two inch apples on it when the Marathon Plus die.

(I wrapped the apples with cling wrap and stored them in a cool, dry, dark place, away from ozone sources so they don't deteriorate.
There's still lots of miles left on these Marathons so the 2" Big Apples might be stored a long time.)

Back