Eqipment replacement

tftrike

100 µW
How long have you had the same e-bike/trike?
How long should it last?

tftrike said:
How long have you had the same e-bike/trike?
How long should it last?

Since 2004 for me. Been through 2 hub motors, not because they wear out but because I was experimenting and damaged the motors. I'm on the same bike frame, same wheels, batteries so far. Only the motor/controller have been changed out. If it weren't for my quest for more power, I would still have the original WE brushless motor that I started with back in 2004 I'm certain.

I think a run of the mill e-bike should last about 5 years with care before I think the batteries may not be as powerful as they use to be. Otherwise, unless you have a torque monster e-bike, a regular bike should last as long as any other regular bike with standard maintenance (oil the chain, keep the brake pads fresh, tighten cables, etc)

The motor/controller/batteries tend to be fairly maintenance free for me.

Purchased my Jamis Boss 300 in 1995. Put a Z.A.P. Friction motor on it a couple or three years later and the CLyte 5304 this year. 800 miles since May of this year means I ride it a lot more than I used to. Unfortunately my expensive Cannondale has spent most of that time sitting on the bike rack

The Z.A.P. was, for its time, FANTASTIC. All I wanted was a "little" assist going over the bridges and into the headwinds. The problem was that after about three minutes it was addictive. With the 5304 however it is probably like switching from Marijuana to straight heroin/meth/cocaine cause I hardly remember how to pedal anymore and I spend time and money on it very much like an addiction.

Mike

mvadventure said:
... and the CLyte 5304 this year. 800 miles since May of this year means I ride it a lot more than I used to.
With the 5304 however it is probably like switching from Marijuana to straight heroin/meth/cocaine cause I hardly remember how to pedal anymore and I spend time and money on it very much like an addiction.

Mike

Since May i've done over 1000 miles at my old cheap bike and even my older legs, so yours 800 at 5304 are REALLY little in my opinion. At that low use rate your bike should work fine for 20 years or more :wink:

Piotrek

Back