Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Highly unlikely.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • NO.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

swbluto

10 TW
Any guesses? He seemed to average about 5-6 posts a day and then sometime in 2009, the posts abruptly stopped. So, the question is, did he join the legions of those whom we wonder that died without an internet trace?

I've been wondering too... :)

I did a quick internet search for other users on other forums, but I didn't find much. I should just check his youtube account since I *know* he wouldn't willingly abandon that. Now I have to find it...

He was banned from Endless Sphere hence no posts He started his own Electric vehicle forum which has been inactive for many months now too. My guess is he's either left us or is simply to ill with the illness he has to worry about the interwebz. I know last email i got from him he said he doesn't ride any bikes any more as he is to weak to do so.

KiM

It appears his last ES post was October 26th, while his last YouTube video was September 25th, 2009. I'm guessing that's he probably either very sick or died from illness.

swbluto said:
It appears his last ES post was October 26th, while his last YouTube video was September 25th, 2009. I'm guessing that's he probably either very sick or died from illness.

What illness? don't tell me there is a mutated virus that passed from infected lipo's to humans!! arrggghhh

He had some disease process. Probably not lipo, lol.

Anyways, I checked out his youtube profile at http://www.youtube.com/user/ReidWelch and it appears he just logged in a day ago, so I'm guessing he's still alive, though probably sick given his lack of significant internet activity.

Depression can make a man like a living dead. (dont know if that's the case, just a guess)

I like Reid. I never understood how the super old vacuum and liquid mercury diodes worked until I saw his excellent video showing it in action. Though I didn't think they were often the best methods, I liked his creative ideas for making bicycle equipment sea-water-proof. He shared some slick first-hand experience with situations in which it's best to use a bearing vs a bushing, and if using bearings, which types of seals have proven to be optimal for which types of enviroments. He also wasn't afraid to take apart anything to discover how it all worked, and I admire that.

Nobody is perfect, and he did often(constantly?) confuse this e-bike forum with a personal-life diary, which made for a lot of added fluff/pollution to the board, but, the man did also add some useful content on a monthly basis or so, which is more than we can say for 99.99% of the members here. I do understand why he was banned, but at the same time I do miss the treats of interesting and rare knowledge he would share with us about technology from the past.

i just got here when he left the forum but he was an interesting guy. he always had some really good knowledge and his ebike youtube channel was always interesting. now well never know if his stealth cruiser will ever get done. :( but as luke said, he kinda did confuse this place as his life journal, but if you look past it, the information given was always good. i really just go on this forum for tech help on my bike and not lounge, so i really dont know what happened to him. at least he didnt leave in the same fashion as another member and delete all of his posts.

I gave him a few chances to stop clogging up tech and harassing a few members (mostly me for some reason, not sure what I did to piss him off), but three strikes and you are out. I do miss the character, but he just started causing too much trouble.

No, he's not dead.

In fact, he recently changed his password.
(from the admin control panel log file):
Reid Welch pw change.jpg

I feel bad about the way that he left, being one of the original members and all, but after his unfortunate incident with the law, the nature of his posts changed dramatically. Many people were offended or annoyed by off topic rants and no matter how much I like Reid, my responsibility as admin requires that the needs of the overall community take prority over an individual.

Now, what ever happened to Xyster? :shock:

johnrobholmes said:
I gave him a few chances to stop clogging up tech and harassing a few members (mostly me for some reason, not sure what I did to piss him off)

I think he was pretty chummy with YPedal MaN for a spell there too you do bring
the best out in people buddy hehehe :mrgreen: :p :lol:

I recieved emails from Reid for awhile there he wanted me to help start another forum i simply
didnt have the time for that then i was in the middle of my build, the forum i checked out
was going the same way most of his posts did, black and white movies of olden day singers he liked in most of his posts WTF
I tried to tell him this wasn't the best approach but it fell on deaf ears unfortunately.

KiM

Xyster and his Schwinn scooter mod was what draws me to this place in the first place. Glad to know they're still around

Hello All,

Reid Welch has been active on poetrycritical.net, at least up until June 24 2010. He somtimes talked about that site on E.S.

Regards,
Gary

Maybe after all this time, there might be a way to let a naughty or misunderstood family member visit, and see if he has to remain exhiled or not. We all make mistakes and we all certainly have needed to be forgiven. Maybe it could go to a vote by those who were around during his mishaps.

Reid revealed that he has SLE (Systemic lupus erythematosus). I hope he is doing well, and makes his peace with God.

Reid left the board not too long after I joined as well, but as odd as he could be I did like him. He added a depth of character and color (often literally) to what can be a very one dimensional page of technical script.

Dunno but it's been going on for two days. I told him via PM to stop but he hasn't.
Each post is happening within minutes of each other .....

Back