Attn: Smart phone users, what OS do you like?

Attn: Smart phone users, what OS do you like?

• Android

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Iphone iOS

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Blackberry

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Palm OS

• SymbianOS

• Maemo

• Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Smart-phones are for geeks and nerds only, I don't have or want one.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • None

• Total voters
For the folks that like smart phones here, I'm curious to see what smart phones you guys prefer.

Being an open-source lover, it's no hard guess what I personally prefer (Android). I seldom here them mentioned on the forums here though, but quite a bit of iphone chatter. I'm curious to see if we have a big trend one way or another in our choice of smart phone OS'.

You seem to be forgetting the SymbianOS, which is used by more devices than iPhone/Android put together :)
Personally, I like what Apple has done, I really like android though it wants some growth in the developer space which is happening. But SymbianOS has always been solid for all the devices I have used it on.

liveforphysics said:
Being an open-source lover, it's no hard guess what I personally prefer (Android).

How about listing Maemo, the first open source smartphone Linux to be commonly available? It is missing in your choices above. It is pretty close to Debian desktop Linux, so easy for Linux users to transition to on a smartphone.

devorion said:
You seem to be forgetting the SymbianOS, which is used by more devices than iPhone/Android put together :)
Personally, I like what Apple has done, I really like android though it wants some growth in the developer space which is happening. But SymbianOS has always been solid for all the devices I have used it on.

Done
(i keep hearing that's the most popular OS, yet I've never knowingly seen a symbianOS device in person)

jag said:
liveforphysics said:
Being an open-source lover, it's no hard guess what I personally prefer (Android).

How about listing Maemo, the first open source smartphone Linux to be commonly available? It is missing in your choices above. It is pretty close to Debian desktop Linux, so easy for Linux users to transition to on a smartphone.

Done
(is this Nokia N800-N900 specific? I've not seen one, but it looks like decent specs.)

Altering the poll choices clears the results evidently. :(

by palmOS I mean WebOS, Thinking about swapping for android 2.1 or better though. I do love my Pre though...

liveforphysics said:
devorion said:

Done
(i keep hearing that's the most popular OS, yet I've never knowingly seen a symbianOS device in person)

Symbian is what big manufacturers like Nokia use in a large swath of devices from plain vanilla phones to some pretty advanced ones. However, while it is put on a lot of phones, AFAIK it does not have a community of developers the way PALM managed to create for their PDA's and later phones, and others like Maemo, iPhone and Android (in order of appearance) have followed with.

liveforphysics said:
(is Maemo Nokia N800-N900 specific? I've not seen one, but it looks like decent specs.)

It's open source so in theory anyone could put it on their device if they bothered, but in practice it started with the N770 three or four years ago, and continued on the N800, N810, N900. Since its been taking third place behind iPhone and Android lately, Intel has been recruited and with Nokia on board they hope to relaunch with more backing. I forgot the name of the soon-to-be relaunched OS.

Maemo is unique in that almost all smartphone/PDA/OS functionality is developed by the user base just like with Linux, but unlike iPhone and Android, where the OS and a base set of functionality was developed comercially, then dev kits were provided to third party. B.t.w. Google tours north america giving intros and help to hot to start develop for Android. Look for a free presentation (and maybe free pizza) at a university near you!

devorion said:

hi
i use unlocked nokia e72 phone. i unlock it recently using codes fromhttp://www.unlocking4u.com/ ,can i use the symbian applications in my unlocked phone and make updation in future . clear my doubt .

Back