Give a noob a loaded weapon?

Give a loaded gun to noobs?

• Yeah, tell them how to kill them selves. Help clean the gene pool.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Yes, tell them everything. Its not our responsibility.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Yes, because the video of their flaming death will be funny.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Yes. We should assume they are responsable adults.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • No. The life they take might be someone elses.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • No. Morons on Ebikes gives us all a bad name.

• No. They haven't earned it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Let them bribe us with beer and lose women first.

• Other. Please explain.

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Drunkskunk

100 GW
Is it moraly acceptable to give a person new to ebikes information that would be dangerous to them and others? In other words, is it ok to tell someone completly new to Ebikes how to build an insainly fast and powerfull bike when it's not clear that they have a full understanding of the dangers or the ability to handle the equipment?

We get a few noobies a week, most have inteligent questions, most eventualy want to upgrade, and most seem to do so in a responsable manner.

But then we get brand new individuals that want to stick the biggest, fastest possable motor into a crappy bike, tape on 40lbs of cheap batterys and go 60mph the first time they ever ride. These individuals usualy dismiss any flaw you might point out in there plan because they saw someone on youtube do it, or they read a post someplace were someone had a bike that could, so it's obviously easy to do it, and its a bicycle so it's safe.

IMHO, the gene pool needs more chlorine anyway, but one idiot on an ebike causing a buss load of orphans, nuns, and kittens to swerve off a cliff would ruin Ebiking for everyone.

Yes but inform them of the law and get them to sign a legal waiver that you are not responsible for their actions with the information.

-‘Beware those that would withhold information from you as they believe themselves your master.’

Short of violating legal boundaries, information should be made available. It would be even better if it were organized in such a manner that all aspects could be appreciated - for an educated mind will do better than one steeped in ignorance and prejudice.

~KF

It is these idiots that will draw VERY NEGATIVE attention to the eBike community so i think it is important to only give the right people the right information. I think it is important to shoot bad ideas down before they take flight. Hell, i had that attitude when i first came on here. The high level stuff confused the hell out of me and there are no good FAQs on here to help ease the initial information overload, just threads that go on for 10-50+ pages.

People need to know the risks involved in all this: axle spinout; exploding batteries; brakes; issues with bikes themselves going at high speeds, spokes, ETC.

Make no assumption about what noobs know or don't know. If you see them standing at a cliff, please intervene. It is worth a shot.

Screw the nanny state attitude, because it's impossible to protect people from themselves anyway. Survival of the fittest stands the test of time, and anything else is damaging to our species. In the interest of brotherhood I do my part sharing what I've learned, part of which is doling out plenty of cautionary info. Whether it's used or not is not up to me.

Lessss said:
‘Beware those that would withhold information from you as they believe themselves your master.’
Kingfish said:
Short of violating legal boundaries, information should be made available. It would be even better if it were organized in such a manner that all aspects could be appreciated - for an educated mind will do better than one steeped in ignorance and prejudice.
/\These.

Give the information freely, but warn of the physical/legal/etc risks involved. Anything past that is on their head. Look at it this way, would you rather they to do something stupid with something they threw together by watching videos on youtube or something that was explained to them properly so they might actually understand what they're doing?

Other. Go ahead and help but warn/STRESS about the dangers and legalities...
BODILY EFFECT DIRECT CURRENT (DC)
Painful, but Men = 62 mA
voluntary muscle Women = 41 mA
control maintained

Painful, unable Men = 76 mA
to let go of wires Women = 51 mA

Severe pain, Men = 90 mA
difficulty Women = 60 mA
breathing

Possible heart Men = 500 mA
fibrillation Women = 500 mA
after 3 seconds

:shock:
LocK

Lock said:
Other. Go ahead and help but warn/STRESS about the dangers and legalities...
BODILY EFFECT DIRECT CURRENT (DC) :shock:
LocK
If you are going to warn them about DC you might as well warn them about AC too. Lethal at lower currents and most bikes here generate it. Admitedly not likley to come in contact while riding but in a test scenario...

It should be noted, though, that the 500mA heart fibrillation only works if the current is across the heart. Thus the fairly common practice of holding one hand behind your back any time you mess with high current levels (if you must at all). Sure, you might get a nasty burn, but that's better than a heart attack. :shock: Like (I'm sure) many others here, I can personally attest to the pain of high current levels passing through any part of the body..when I was building my bench PSU, I hadn't properly insulated one connection and brushed it with my finger when checking the heatsink...a 5V supply with a rated max of 30A passing through the tip of my finger (the heatsink was grounded)...not an experience I would like to repeat. :oops: ...I couldn't feel part of my finger for a solid day...

Back