E-Bike Use

What % of your riding is for transportation (as opposed to just for fun)?

• 0 - 25%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26 - 50%

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 51 - 75%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 75%

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Jay

100 mW
I'm curious about how much people ride for utility, as opposed to just for fun. Of course it's fun either way, but what percentage of your riding is actually replacing a trip in a car, motorcycle, or on public transportation?

You guys that ride in the winter are braves i tell ya.

90% transport with my Spitfire. Don't have a car, and i don't use pub transport.

Sometimes i take the old pedaling machine out.

I borrow smokeboxen to haul big loads, such as when moving to another city. Also I'll take the bus to travel to other cities. For the rest, I use my bike.

But for the high theft and accident risks, I'd use the ebike (with a cart) for almost all of my transportation.

I ride all the time.Spring summer,fall and winter.I don't own a car,hate taking a bus (you gotta wait). I will on occasion call a cab,if the roads and weather are really really really bad and if I have to wait for that cab to long I'll walk provided it's not too far.

Eric

Well I was riding home the other morning(2 days ago) and that storm that just flew through Ontario and the US looped back up and hit us in NB. All I can say is next time there is a big snowfall I'm taking my skiis with me cause that's what my boots turned into, a couple of skiis to stabilize the bike. IT WAS FUN! wouldn't try it on anything that goes faster than 32 KM/h though.

I imagine with actual skii's on my feet it'll be less tiring on the legs.

The one thing it did do however was pull an awful lot of amps out of the batteries.

Very cold batts, estimate half it's normal usefullness. Add in pushing though thick snow reuduce that usfullness by almost half again. Still more than enough for the distance I had to travel though.

Has anyone heard of theft problems with e-bikes? Personally I wouldn't let my bike out of my sight right now with all the $100 bills hanging off it saying 'steal me'.

My batteries have a lock on the case under foot and a lock on the seat storage area batteries, a lock on the back wheel, and an alarm on the bike itself wired directly to the battery pack. that said mine looks like a scooter. Haven't had any issues yet. Then again I park right beside the doors of the stores if they don't have a bike rack area.

Lessss...You got nerve riding in that storm, I remember that storm well (in S.Ontario),I rode to the wifes house before it,and when it was time to go back to my house the storm was well under way so I walked home. The wind was outta the west at who knows how many kmh the wind chill was -38c and I trudged against the wind and snow all the way. I was wearing a jacket rated to -14c and it barely covered my butt,no long underwear,I did have mittens and a hat. By the time I got back to my house my face was on fire, my nose was numb. and my knees were so stiff I could hardly bend them. I really should have called a cab but the wait would have been a couple hours. Gotta admire you guys from the east coast,determined as all hell.
I do like your ski's idea for next time. Keep on Truckn'

Eric

Hey Eric, try stopping by a Mountain Equipment Co-Op or Army surplus store. You'll find lots of things to keep you nice & toasty.

Oh...I do have all the proper Canadian winter attire but it was at my house not at the wife's. My parka goes down to my knees and is quite warm. I just didn't anticipate the abrupt change in the weather. The storm was whacking Hamilton real good and completely missing us. When I rode to the wifes it wasn't that bad but then the wind turned around it whacked us. Maybe I otta get the proper attire for both houses!

Mathurin, I do like those like studded tires you have,a really good idea.

Eric

Back