What nooB questions get asked most often?

TylerDurden

100 GW
What nooB questions get asked most often?

(Survey groundwork for a possible FAQ)

Post a common question and the answer (or a link to the topics/posts that answer it well).

+ how do i charge lithium batteries?
( series setups, parallel setups, variable series/parallel setups, chargers, cell monitors, BMS, etc. )

+ how do amps / volts work in a motor?

+ lithium battery common questions
( what is C, AH, S, P, etc )
( battery lifetimes )
( battery voltages )
( battery care / caution )
( examples of various setups )

+ How do the parameters in infineon controllers work ( knuckles has a few posts about this, but they are not meant for a newbie, surely someone can take the task of elaborating on this )

+ Controller options
( sensored, sensorless, brushed, brushless )

+ DD hub motors VS geared
( reliability, freewheeling, weight, power limits, preferred voltages )

+ Front motor VS rear
( suspension forks, aluminum VS steel, torque arms, torque plates )

+ Wiring / electronics
( electronics 101, connectors, wire gauge, pre-charge resistors, etc. )

+ Bike parts commonly used
( tires, freewheels, freewheel cranks, suspension, brakes, cranks, tubes )

+ Miscellaneous
( battery mounting, DC-DC convertors, lights, etc )

I read ES many times a day and these are the questions i see. The answers are always hidden deep within random threads. It would be easy to cobble the stuff together.

neptronix said:
+ How do the parameters in infineon controllers work

I read ES many times a day and these are the questions i see.

Uh.. really? An ES search shows ZERO nooBs asking about infineons.

Let's see some real questions, not assumptions.

like these:

"
2 Regen brakes:
To play safe and keep the battery with me for long time (was crazy expensive PLUS freight to NZ),
what exactly I need to do? Not that I really need regen, but I'm really keen to preserve brakes going down.
I read on Ping site that I can't send to the battery more than 5 amps, how can I be sure of doing that?

3 Collection of minor stupid questions:
What kind of Torque arms would you suggest me on my bike?
Rear forkends looks very very thin and poor and Aluminum ,
1/6 of the axle is also out of his housing!!! Can I purchase some torque arms that will easly fit or not?

How to waterproof thumb throttle, Analyzer and regen green button?

Do I really need the Red Button switcher? What is that for actually?

Last but not least, for how long I could ride that 9C hub in the rain before getting in troubles?"

TylerDurden said:
neptronix said:
+ How do the parameters in infineon controllers work

I read ES many times a day and these are the questions i see.
Uh.. really? An ES search shows ZERO nooBs asking about infineons.
Let's see some real questions, not assumptions.

I won't dispute that ( beacuse i don't want to read every thread on here and find out whether either of us is right ) but it would still be nice to have an infineon FAQ that explains what the parameters do. non-noobs would benefit.

For example the MAC motors like more phase than the ordinary 2.5x battery formula.
Also i have seen people asking what phase to set at.
I see that in random threads but not in one place.

It is still FAQ worthy. I would actually appreciate a FAQ on this myself as i'll have a controller programming cable coming soon and i haven't been able to find info other than scattered stuff here and there + knuckles's info; i am still in the dark and a lot of stuff hasn't been documented.

FAQ stuff needs to be the basic every day things a newb needs to know.

- Kit vs Pre-built ebike

- What bicycle frames to look for and why

- front vs rear mounting

- battery types, basics and charging.. basic guidelines to follow for a long life and happy pack.

- suggested vendors

- Install and setup Do's and Dont's

- legal stuff

- How much power do i need to climb X hill

- does it charge when i pedal is absolutely FAQ worthy ....

Ypedal said:
- suggested vendors

I agree with all your above suggestions. We already have a thread for this; maybe it can be moved?

p.s. you're right about the infineon bit needing to be in the technical reference section. Maybe what's there just needs to be improved upon. Just my opinion.

Hi, i'm a noob might i offer some suggestions?

1) fuses?
How to determine size?
Where to locate? ie individual cell or whole pack
2) hub motors?
Types x5 9c mac?
What do winding numbers mean and what do they mean for performance?
3) glossary of terms
NEED a dictionary in its own place on the main page where anyone new can see it

this is a few ideas i probably have more but i'll wait and see what else you come up with

kold kanuck said:
3) glossary of terms

Also see: EV Glossary in the reference section.

For google relevance: EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions,

TylerDurden said:
kold kanuck said:
3) glossary of terms

Also see: EV Glossary in the reference section.

For google relevance: EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions, EV Glossary, terms, definitions,

On the main page where it is EASY to find, not in a sub forum at the bottom of a page, but hey i'm new so i'll keep my suggestions to myself. Sorry for interrupting, carry on.

Not trying to be a prick... the glossary certainly could be more conspicuously placed.

But, it should be noted that basic info on all the items in the above list appear on the first page of results when searched:

Glossary:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=glossary&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Winding number means:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=winding+number+mean&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Fuses:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=fuses&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I'm afraid we may have misunderstood each other. I offered my post as a suggestion for things to include in your list, was not necessarily looking for an answer in the middle of your thread. These are just some of the faq that i notice myself when reading through peoples build threads. You know the constant How fast?how far? how did you wire it stuff? Again only offering these as suggestions.

Here are some more examples:

What's the difference between a hubmotor and a geared-hubmotor?

What's REGEN?

What are non-hubmotor systems?

What are the differences in lithium chemistries?

How much battery will get me how far... and how fast ?

PlaceHolder.gif

Hi,

"How do I send Doctorbass (aka Doc) a pm?"

Easy, go here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=445

And click "Send private message"

TylerDurden said:
Here are some more examples:

What's the difference between a hubmotor and a geared-hubmotor?
Hard to improve on the explanation here:
http://www.ebikes.ca/hubmotors.shtml
Summary of Hub Motors

The direct drive hub motor is about as simple as things get. Imagine taking an electric motor, but holding the axle and letting the body of the motor spin. Now lace a bicycle rim onto this spinning motor body and there you have it, no moving parts other than the wheel itself...

Geared Hub Motors
As you can imagine, a geared hub motor has gearing inside it to reduce the high speed of a fast and efficient motor to the low speed of the wheel. From the outside, a geared hub motor is usually smaller in radius but wider than a direct drive hub. On the inside, they can take a variety of different forms although most frequently they have an outrunner motor that drives the center of a planetary gear set linked to the rotor...

Back