Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Legal-ish. (pls explain)

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I have a sticker.

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters

REdiculous

10 kW
There's lots of talk about the legal side of ebiking so I'm curious to see how many legal and illegal ebikes there are on ES. I think most people are running beyond the limits but it would be interesting to see what the ratio really is. This isn't the place to really discuss what is or isn't legal, or how to exploit that loophole you think you found, but details on why you chose what you chose would be great.

My push trailer can't peak over 1kw w/ the current batteries but it's capable of assisting beyond 20mph so it's definitely illegal. I can set the speed trimpot on the controller so it can't exceed 20mph ..in theory.. but it would still be capable of higher speeds, technically. I don't feel it's safe beyond 20mph so I keep it under the legal speed limit and ride it anyway...

I chose "Legal-ish" (which is still illegal, technically :wink:).

FWIW, in many (most?) places, being *able* to go over whatever the speed or power limits are for assisted bikes doesn't make them illegal, just actually *going* over those limits. ;)

Some places, like California, actually define that it must not even be *capable* of going over these limits.

Based on the current AZ statutes, mine are completely legal:
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02516.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS
as they do not define a power limit for electric motors, only a displacement for ICE.

I suppose in that sometimes safe operation on the road in traffic maneuvers (esp left turns in a lane with cars behind me) requires occasional momentary operation over 20MPH (typically 21-22 for a few seconds), it might not be meeting the letter of the law, but normally I am not even at 17-19MPH.

Laws In BC Canada:
500W max
Unable to assist over 32km/h on flat.

The Bike:
40amp controller 48v = 1920Watts
Top speed 45Km/h

I'd like the Watts law changed. I think one would get away with 5000Watts for a long time as long as they did not go over 32km/h. 500 Watts sucks really bad for climbing large hills.

Some places, like California, actually define that it must not even be *capable* of going over these limits.

Oregon is like that too which is what makes mine "legal-ish". :(

Mine's legal below 50% throttle, or 33% depending on which battery i have hooked up ;)

Yes, both of mine are legal wto ride in Australia they have "200watt stickers on the" motors :lol:

KiM

Has a 750w sticker.

"Legal-ish"

Cruise can be set for 20mph, motor hub has 48V500W engraved onto it, but can go 39MPH.

So you guys that have stickers voted legal-ish or illegal, right?... :?

Oh, I know!..I'll slap a 100kw sticker on my push trailer and totally demolish LFP's agni bike w/ my SLAs! :lol:

If I kept it below 20 mph, sure... but then I woke up. :roll: :lol:

If 2 hp is considered a moped, then that's what this is - except for missing indicator lights and whatnot.
~KF

I said legal-ish because my motor peaks above 750 watts when going full throttle up a steep hill. It doesn't come close to 20mph while doing so but technically 817 watts is illegal.

I don't exceed 20mph since I pedal while under power and my gearing doesn't allow me to go that fast while pedaling at a comfortable rate.

REdiculous said:
So you guys that have stickers voted legal-ish or illegal, right?... :?

Wrong...i voted legal ... in case any Western Australian Police Officers Google e-bikes
and spot this thread, i want them to know my bike is legal 200watt
stickered
KiM

Wrong...i voted legal ...

I printed off a 1.21 gigawatt sticker and slapped it on my forehead so I could go back in time and add a "I have a sticker" option to the poll. :lol:

stanz said:
I said legal-ish because my motor peaks above 750 watts when going full throttle up a steep hill. It doesn't come close to 20mph while doing so but technically 817 watts is illegal.

I don't exceed 20mph since I pedal while under power and my gearing doesn't allow me to go that fast while pedaling at a comfortable rate.

The law says nothing about what you put into your motor.

It says the motor can't be "rated" for more than 750w continuous output.

Even if you pump 40kw bursts into your motor (as my plasma dicks motor got served), it doesn't change what the continuous rated power is for the motor in any way.

REdiculous said:
Wrong...i voted legal ...

I printed off a 1.21 gigawatt sticker and slapped it on my forehead so I could go back in time and add a "I have a sticker" option to the poll. :lol:

Re-casted my vote....but i still stand by that my bike is 100% legal for off road use :lol:

KiM

Shoot...I didn't know adding the "I have a sticker" option would zero the tally. Sorry guys! :oops:

If you consider legal-ish the same as illegal then I think it was about 3:1, illegal to legal, before being zeroed. Not too surprising. :)

Green Machine said:
I'm gonna start a good business selling stickers...
Make one with a lightening bolt that says 750W MAX! :twisted:

... and put me down for two :mrgreen:
~KF

Back