Infinite Edit Time

Should we allow infinite edit time for posting or topics?

• Yes, keep it the way it is now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but can we set a time limit on how long you have to edit?

• No, you can't edit anything once you post it!

• No Opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A week on this poll, most that voted seem happy to leave it the way it is now. So unless some major abuse is starting to occur, we will leave it the way it is now. But like the "delete" poll, this shouldn't be a poll to provoke someone to prove a point that you can edit your post anytime to make things confusing :?

Is it abuse to delete posts? Sometimes I might share something and later decide it's too personal and want to delete it. This has happened to me several times today already just in the last couple of hours. You want it all cast in stone? Wow if what I have done is abuse then something is wrong. They are my words. It's my content. It's owned by me. I took it away. I change content all the time. Some people work that way. WTF is happening to this place? I'm tempted to delete everything again right now. Sorry, but you don't own my words. If you take away edit I am gone.

nutsandvolts said:
Is it abuse to delete posts? Sometimes I might share something and later decide it's too personal and want to delete it. This has happened to me several times today already just in the last couple of hours. You want it all cast in stone? Wow if what I have done is abuse then something is wrong. They are my words. It's my content. It's owned by me. I took it away. I change content all the time. Some people work that way. WTF is happening to this place?

I agree completely with n&v.

d

I said it once before, now again ....

There are three types of people in this world:
Some people are like letters carved in stone. They are rigid, inflexible, and hold onto their anger for a long time.
Some people are like letters written in sand. They get angry but their anger washes away like water washing over the sand.
Some people are like letters written under running water. This exercise is left to the reader.

Words cast in stone mean you can't take your words back. I live in water.

If what happened in the "WHY do we live?" thread was abuse, then kick me out.
Set up a "Should we put up with nutsandvolts thread".
None of this was abuse.

deardancer3 said:
nutsandvolts said:
Is it abuse to delete posts? Sometimes I might share something and later decide it's too personal and want to delete it. This has happened to me several times today already just in the last couple of hours. You want it all cast in stone? Wow if what I have done is abuse then something is wrong. They are my words. It's my content. It's owned by me. I took it away. I change content all the time. Some people work that way. WTF is happening to this place?

I agree completely with n&v.

d

And I disagree.

If you write something, you are responsible.
When you hit SUBMIT, you sign what you wrote.
A reasonable delay should be given to correct any error.

If you regret something you wrote two days ago,
be man enough to apologize in another post.
There are lawsuits over things posted on the internet. Why ?
Because you can ruin a person's reputation.

Send a letter to a news paper to be published and four days later,
ask them to remove it from the stands because you changed your mind.
Will they do it ? I think not.
Internet is a powerful news paper distributed all over the world.

Before I hit submit, I read my post and ask myself "Would I sign that ?"
Since I answered yes, you are reading it now, and if I regret something,
I will make another post to make amends.
Is it so hard to be responsible ?

It depends on your definition of responsible. I use "intent" as my guide. I take responsibility.

nutsandvolts said:
Is it abuse to delete posts? Sometimes I might share something and later decide it's too personal and want to delete it. This has happened to me several times today already just in the last couple of hours. You want it all cast in stone? Wow if what I have done is abuse then something is wrong. They are my words. It's my content. It's owned by me. I took it away. I change content all the time. Some people work that way. WTF is happening to this place? I'm tempted to delete everything again right now. Sorry, but you don't own my words. If you take away edit I am gone.

is carpet bombing deletetion of posts an abuse?
u bet, absolutely.
no one enjoys reading swiss-cheese threads

that's abuse of a freedom granted by this forum, that is not the case at a lot of other boards.
if the policy had been no editing allowed *period* like it is at power-assist, like it is in spoken real life where u can't un-ring the bell, would u have never joined E-S in the first place?
be honest, if only to urself.
do u also choose to never speak??
or do u carefully consider what u say & post b4 hitting submit/open ur mouth???
the digital age capability of complete total perfect invisible erasure has made u mentally lazy.

as for ownership of posted words, don't know if it's a supreme court ruling but i seem to recall a case where someone found some letters in the attic addressed to his grandma from Hemingway or some literary great like that.
when he tried to auction off the letters, the estate claiming author's right of ownership over the letters halted the auction.
ruling was that the *recipient* of the letter is the owner since it was freely given as a gift & the letters got sold.

so thank u for ur gift & then taking it back.
if u want to know what's happening to this place, look no further than the mirror.
congrats, u got away with it once.
but now that u've revealed urself u can bet ur posts will get wholly quoted a lot more from now on.
ur precious words will forever be beyond ur reach to alter, so u've already accomplished exactly what u didn't want, zero edit period.
again, congratulations.

anyway, personally i think the edit period should be no less than 90 days or perhaps even a year.
should be plenty of time for sober second thoughts & makes for a good balance.
any edits after that period could be handled by request to the mods which would give some oversight if it's abusive.
i can see they might not be wild about the added demand on their time but it shouldn't happen all that frequently after a year & would insure that any legitimate changes are well considered before being submitted.
but i'm only posing the question.
if the policy remains as is, i can certainly live with it.

If you want an apology for what I did that is not forthcoming. I did what I had to do.
Tell me the rules and I will play the game by the rules.
This was meant to be a reset.

nutsandvolts said:
I said it once before, now again ....

There are three types of people in this world:
Some people are like letters carved in stone. They are rigid, inflexible, and hold onto their anger for a long time.
Some people are like letters written in sand. They get angry but their anger washes away like water washing over the sand.
Some people are like letters written under running water. This exercise is left to the reader.

Words cast in stone mean you can't take your words back. I live in water.

If what happened in the "WHY do we live?" thread was abuse, then kick me out.
Set up a "Should we put up with nutsandvolts thread".
None of this was abuse.

doo u have a link for where u said it b4??
if u don't, it never happened.
can't have it both ways.

If you read it, then it certainly happened. If you didn't then it still happened.

My work is done for now. Go on arguing about it till the cows come home.

nutsandvolts said:
My work is done for now. Go on arguing about it till the cows come home.

that is difficult to believe as with anything else u may write from here on out.
u refuse to represent what u say.
a man's word is his bond.
u've established a woman's prerogative of changing ur mind whenever u pls.

And you stood up for Reid while he wasn't here. I tried to get to the root of the problem why he was gone. People are worth more than words and rules and magic effects. If an EV fanatic gets kicked out, when he has contributed a lot of time and heart and soul, what then? And if a brother needs help sometimes, that to me makes all the rest of it moot. So argue all you want because people work in strange ways sometimes. I really, really don't care if those holes are such a big problem for everyone. Live with it or ask the mods to delete all my empty posts. If I had the power to do it myself they'd already be gone. As for me, all is cool. I've never needed a forum to achieve. The best work is usually done behind closed doors.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
............ u can bet ur posts will get wholly quoted a lot more from now on.......

This is what happens when the edit delay is too long.
People start quoting someone who quoted someone else.
now you read twice what W wrote
T said that W said
now you read 2X what T wrote and 3X what W wrote
F said that T said that W said
you read 2X F 3X T 4X W

Now If they are windbags, the readers are scrolling more than they read. :(

Peace is worth more than all of this. I don't have anything else to say about it.
Maybe I'm just interested in different math or physics than some of you.
You have the floor now, show us your stuff.

nutsandvolts said:
And you stood up for Reid while he wasn't here. I tried to get to the root of the problem why he was gone. People are worth more than words and rules and magic effects. If an EV fanatic gets kicked out, when he has contributed a lot of time and heart and soul, what then? And if a brother needs help sometimes, that to me makes all the rest of it moot. So argue all you want because people work in strange ways sometimes. I really, really don't care if those holes are such a big problem for everyone. Live with it or ask the mods to delete all my empty posts. If I had the power to do it myself they'd already be gone. As for me, all is cool. I've never needed a forum to achieve. The best work is usually done behind closed doors.

i knew it. :lol:
changed ur mind again. :roll:

nutsandvolts said:
Free speech is good. Respect makes it grand. No I censored my own.
I decided that all things are fluid.

merely deleting the empty posts can't correct the damage wrought to the remaining body of the thread.
by essentially flippin' everyone the bird by telling the rest of us to 'live with it' doesn't show a whole lot of respect, do it?
decided respect was also fluid, huh?

it's obvious u're uncomfortable with being held accountable for things u say & obvious u're against anything that would restrict such weasel behaviour.
'Takemehome' has it right, be a man.
not a weasel.

Cry me a river and show me some pics, sing a song, DO SOMETHING

Takemehome said:
This is what happens when the edit delay is too long.

hey, no argument, but watchagonnado?
besides, mass quoting is only necessary with proven, self-established weasels.

zero edit time creates problems of it's own such excessive disjointed follow-up correction posts.
that's why i felt the issue needs a periodic re-exam even back then to strike kind of balance between a free hand & thread legibility.

What is it that you're standing up for exactly? You want frozen then go ahead and turn it on.

Okay let me use other language. I very rarely use foul language. Yep you saw some recently. I also see subject lines with such language. I'm not usually the one in the middle of stupid conflicts. Fighting ideas yes, rarely with anything directed towards a person, but I do hold them accountable for what they are saying. You will never ever hear me intentionally insult a forum member because of their content or any othe reason. I have nothing to hide. So if you're so mad about this that you want to freeze the text, go ahead. What's done is done. I'm just a soul on two wheels. All I'm hearing is baby talk whining lately. My content would not be gone if people would have left that thread alone. And I decide if it's there or not. This is not the whine line. Ever think about how much work went into all that stuff? I don't even really give a rip. Physics is about motion. Let's move on.

Back