Would you buy a custom battery holder for (amount)$?

Get the forum community involved in polls and surveys.

Would you buy a custom well made high current battery holder for (amount)$

No, no need for such a product
56%
Yes, for $15-$20 (basic version)
22%
Yes, for $20-$30
11%
Yes, for up to $30-50
No votes
Yes, for higher than $50 (If well enough made, useful, and feature filled)
11%
No, too expensive
No votes
Only if you made it for prismatic cells and/or BMS capable
No votes
Maybe, if you made it cheaper via selling kits / some assembly required versions
No votes

Total votes : 9

Would you buy a custom battery holder for (amount)$?

Postby inkeeper77 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:06 pm

While looking for a product that doesn't seem to really exist, I had an idea. I could manufacture it! I wanted a cylindrical battery holder that could hold the cells in place, avoid soldering to the cells, for usage, and be able to handle high current draw without a problem. I built a quick version myself, but I have the desire to polish it up. (I am a mechanical engineering student)

Would you be interested in buying a semi custom battery holder, to your specifications as far as battery type, and number of parallel and series cells? I am currently designing a 26650 size version, but I could easily adapt it to other sizes. Prismatic cells could have a similar style box designed too. If you wanted 2 cells in series ten times, that could be done, as well as 4p6s (like my current box) 8p2s, or any configuration you wanted! (Up until it reached a certain size, where it would then have to be split into two parts)

The design would be fairly simple. I currently have a wooden "prototype", but it has no features that I want. Final versions would be strong polycarbonate, with bolts that allow for easy disassembley and reassembly, without risk of shorting the batteries. They would be enclosed, could be made waterproof, ventilated, even actively cooled, and all metal bus bars would be nickel or tin plated for corrosion resistance. In addition, the holder would have the polycarb designed in such a way as to give it "feet" and channels for all wires, including balance wires. I could even look into making a BMS compatible design.

All polycarb would be CNC created, for consistency.

I am not promising to make this, but I certainly want to at least design it. If there is enough interest, this summer I could certainly do plating finish corrosion tests, finish designing the boxes, buy the extra equipment I would need, and sell them here and elsewhere, but if nobody would ever be interested it does not make sense for me to invest the overhead into making it on any sort of scale, instead making a careful one off for myself.

Basic idea: Imagine this but well made and customizable:

If there is interest, I will see if I can create some better drawings of my preliminary ideas. I am a university student though, so I may be a bit too busy for the next six weeks.

Thank you everyone!
inkeeper77
1 W
1 W

Return to Polls & Surveys