If an Alien gave you a black box

What would you do with the Black Box? (read below first)

• Press The Button

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Give The Button To Your Nation's Leader So They Can Push The Button

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Take It Apart To See If You Can Figure Out How It Works

Votes: 34 82.9%

• Total voters

dirtdad

1 kW
Ok, you have probably all heard this one already, but even so, it makes a fun poll.

You are driving your EV around late one night, when suddenly out of the darkness a flying saucer appears and lands in front of you. An alien steps out and greets you. He gives you a small black box with a single button on it. He explains that if you press the button, it will put an end to all disease, hunger, war and human suffering on the planet forever. What do you do?

You need one more option, possibly 2
1 Try to profit from it by auctioning it out to the highest bidder of conglomerate or country.
2 Start a religious cult with you as their god, then once you have enough followers, demonstrate your power by unleashing "the box".

I would ask the alien how it works.

There may be unforeseen consequences. The aliens concept of "an end to human suffering" may be different to what I would envision it to be.

BTW is there another box with the word "safe" on it.

Greg

LOL, true DIY community, this; 100% for opening it up. :lol:

I'd probably have problems finding the right security screw bit. :p

dirtdad said:
.... it will put an end to all disease, hunger, war and human suffering on the planet forever. What do you do?

There is no option for NOT pushing the button.

If you end all disease, then humans would never die except by accident. They would continue to breed prolificly, and eventualy, cover the surface of the planet like a chia pet.

Hunger is a prime motovator. Lets face it, if it wasn't for a craving for breakfast, most people would stay in bed. eliminate all hunger, and you would eliminate man's will to be industrious.

War is as natural for humans as breathing. We've learned to sublimate the desire for war by forming sports teams and battling it out ona playing field, but the drives are the same. To eliminate war from humanity, you also have to eliminate the competitive spirit. that compeditive spirit drives us to try to be better, to acive more, to build and improve and refine.

Human suffering defines us. The first time you tell a 2 year old they can't have a cookie, they suffer psycologicly as great as you would now if your house burned down. But that suffering is teaching them a lesson. and all the suffering of growing up, or being punished for doing wrong, and learing that negative things happen for negative behaviour, then the preteen years, suffering through puberty, learing ing to deal and cope with painful social situations, avoiding those you can, and handling those you can't avoid, then as an adult you suffer under your labor untill you get a job done, then you feel even more pride for having acomplished it.

No, an alien who offered a box like that would be offering a crule fate to humanity. it would destroy us as surely as if they nuked the planet. An Alien offerin that bbox isn't coming in peace.

Of course, another way to look at this: to end all disease, hunger, war and human suffering on the planet forever, they could simply kill everyone. Regardless of there method, i'd take the box, but not push the button. I wouldn't open it either. I've read my greek mythology on opening strange boxes given by beings who come from the sky. Look at the mess Pandora left :twisted:

Meh...

You don't need to take it apart... I got piles of those things in my garage and they're all the same cheap shit.

When are the aliens gonna bring me the RE-GRAV unit they promise me everytime I get probed?

:evil:

WTF! According to the poll I'm the only one that pushed the button?! :shock:

This is the only legit answer in this narrow selection.

1. Would anyone here really bust a move to hand this box over to Bush? Even if you did, what makes the difference if he pushed it, instead of you anyway? It would be dangerous too. He'd probably drop it, or pull or twist on the switch or something else stupid. And since he was holding it, if he did manage to push the button, he might live due to some technicality! If you push it, he would no doubt be destroyed to help end human suffering.

Point 2 - Let me ask you guys something. Assuming you could take it apart, (since according to the poll, this is what ALL of you geniuses would do) what makes you think you could figure out how something like this worked? I can see it now, yeah it's alien tech alright, but it's not over my head for sure! Yep it's wired properly as far as I can tell, lemme see here, what this thinga ma bob? Ooops! Was that a spark? Hmmmz, that looks like a transistor or something.....

The alien would bitch slap you before you even had a chance to crack the case! That box wasn't cheap and he just drug it across many light years of space. He sure as hell isn't going to stand there while some mental midget earthling, tries to reverse engineer the darn thing while he waits. :roll:

I mean, can you fix this?? It's alien tech and it's only 2 dollars on ebay: http://www.weird-websites.com/weird_auctions/UFO/ufo-ebay-auction-flying-saucer-for-sale-bid-online.htm

Turn the riddle around. What would you do if you had a box that could stop aliens from being so stunted, gimpy looking and puny with big bobbly heads, all he has to do is push one button. Then as you stood there, the dipstick started to take it apart, right in fron of you? You would kick his ass of course! Am I right?

Point 3. Why would the alien lie and if he was lying, what makes the difference who pushes the button, him or you? For instance, if it was a machine that would sterilise the earth. Do you think if he pushes it instead of tricking you into doing it, he would get in "trouble" with his superiors? I mean he was standing right there and didn't stop you, so he would be an accessory. Remember what your mom said, even if you didn't do it, you were right there, so you are just as guilty!!! :)

Push. The. Button.

EMF said:
Point 2 - Let me ask you guys something. Assuming you could take it apart, (since according to the poll, this is what ALL of you geniuses would do) what makes you think you could figure out how something like this worked? I can see it now, yeah it's alien tech alright, but it's not over my head for sure! Yep it's wired properly as far as I can tell, lemme see here, what this thinga ma bob? Ooops! Was that a spark? Hmmmz, that looks like a transistor or something.....

LOL, who said I could figure it out? I was gonna have a looksee and then sell it :p.

HahahHHHaahHa! :D :mrgreen:

(just between you and me, after I had pushed the button saving the world, and the alien left, I would have took it apart too.) :wink: The cool thing about doing after pushing the button is, even if it was radioactive, I could work on it without getting sick!!! 8)

TylerDurden said:
EMF said:
The cool thing about doing after pushing the button is, even if it was radioactive, I could work on it without getting sick!!! 8)
Yeah but you would void the warranty....

It's ok, I'm done with it as it only does one thing. Time to hack!! :evil:

By the way, is there a real solution to this riddle? Does anyone know?

If you push the button, you believe everything you are told. If you give it to the president, you are a drone. If you take it apart you are a freethiker, though you may be fataly wrong.

A box that...... will put an end to all disease, hunger, war and human suffering on the planet forever

You do all realise that if pressing the button instantly killed every human being on the planet then it would fulfill exactly what was the alien claimed... No more disease, war, hunger or human suffering.

The answer is you dont press it !!!!!! 8)

Booooooo YAKA Shaaaaaaaaaa morino!

Probably the first consideration would be why the alien didn't simply press the button himself. Another question would be "why me"? And finally, what if the box simply burst apart as party springs leapt out at you? Would it then be prudent to punch the alien in what could be said to be it's face? And what dire consequences would result?

Meep.

Steelfist has it exactly right. Its the monkeys paw.

I would take the alien hostage. If they're just giving away boxes that end all suffering, etc., then they must have some really good stuff in the ship. I'd send them a tentacle and say if they don't give me something that lets me enslave the universe, their friend's gonna be green spaghetti.

Must have a pretty good powersource in there.

Take it apart, use powersource for bicycle with electric helper motor

Back