• More than 5 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't do poll but I like to click on something

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SamTexas

1 MW
Does not matter how fast or how slow you ride your ebike. Does not matter whether you pedal assist or not. Just choose the closest time you normally use your ebike before the battery needs recharging. The battery is fully charged at the beginning, obviously.

Ex 1: 20 min in the morning, 20 min in the afternoon. 3 days before recharging =>> 120 minutes or 2 hours
Ex 2: 5 min to the store, 2 min back, runs out of battery ==>> 7 minutes
Ex 3: 11 min to school, 13 min back home, 15 min to girlfriend apt, out of battery, stay the night ==>> 39 mins.

Please please don't tell me I forgot about speed, and speed changes run time. It does not matter. How fast/slow you ride does NOT matter. Same thing with your weight or how flat/hilly your routes are. Just report your actual discharge time. If you have more than one ebikes, choose the one you use the most. If you have more than one discharge time on that bike, choose the one that happens to you the most.

Thanks.

Taking the back roads and bike paths to work I get near 3 hours of use from my packs. Same pack will give me 40-60 minutes of use taking the faster route.

Ok, thanks for the correction. How much longer (distance) is the back road/bike paths? I assume you're entering the campus from Jones Rd.

15 votes so far. Still equally split between less than 60 mins and more than 60 mins.

I expected to see a few votes for less than 10 minutes, but none so far.

SamTexas said:
...I expected to see a few votes for less than 10 minutes, but none so far.
Who would put the money and effort into building an ebike that lasted less than 10 minutes?!?

Floont said:
SamTexas said:
Who would put the money and effort into building an ebike that lasted less than 10 minutes?!?
Good question. That's what I am trying to find out, indirectly.

Besides silly braggings, why do people put 65C continuous, 130C burst batteries on their ebike? We all know that HobbyKing specs are pure fantasy. So let's cut the specs by 2/3. That still leaves a 22C continuous, 43C burst rating. 22C continuous translates into 2.7 minutes of discharge time.

Apply the same calculation and assumption to a more typical 35C/45C battery to get a 5.1 minutes of discharge time.

That's why there are 3 choices for less than 10 mins discharge time.

SamTexas said:
Floont said:
SamTexas said:
Good question. That's what I am trying to find out, indirectly.

Besides silly braggings, why do people put 65C continuous, 130C burst batteries on their ebike? We all know that HobbyKing specs are pure fantasy. So let's cut the specs by 2/3. That still leaves a 22C continuous, 43C burst rating. 22C continuous translates into 2.7 minutes of discharge time.

Apply the same calculation and assumption to a more typical 35C/45C battery to get a 5.1 minutes of discharge time.

That's why there are 3 choices for less than 10 mins discharge time.

I guess I could theoretically be put into that category of less than 10mins, if I went flat out 120% throttle for as long as it would last. I would push 58MPH for the first 2 minutes before trailing off to a more sensible 54MPH, then my Turnigy LiPo batteries would ultimately be discharged to 3.2 volts after another 5 to 7 minutes. At this point I would shut it down, not because it couldn't go any further, but because I don't like discharging my LiPos that far.

But who rides like that in normal conditions? I've never even tried that during a "speed run".

FA

Floont said:
SamTexas said:
There's your answer. Someone just casted a vote for "5 to 10 minutes". If I were a racer, I would do it too.

On average, my Commuter pack (15S6P) can take me about urban 50 miles; depending on traffic, that's slightly more than 2 hours.

However I have another saddle bag pack that can add 20 Ah more - so that's almost 4 hours of riding. But if I go hog-wild and add in the cross-country configuration - then it's more than 7-9 hours of riding capability. Most of the time though... I run the commuter pack, and that reflects my vote.

Cheers, KF

Kingfish said:
On average, my Commuter pack (15S6P) can take me about urban 50 miles; depending on traffic, that's slightly more than 2 hours.
So what is the continuous C rate of this "Commuter pack (15s6p)", and why did you choose it?

ST, The C-rating can be entirely negated by virtue of having many batteries and quality connectivity.

I use the lowest common denominator with each battery unit having 5S1P 5Ah 15/2C built by Zippy FlightMax. The trick I found is to have a good-quality large-AWG Battery Bus and quality connectors. The main battery bus uses HXT 6 connectors for recharge and to the trailer bus, and I also have EC5 connectors for branching out to other battery assemblies.

P1-NewBatteryHarness.jpg

This is an image of my Battery Bus BEFORE & AFTER rework.
On the Left, the old nasty kludge of 10- and 8-AWG. On the Right, the rebuilt robust & streamlined Battery Bus, using 6-AWG Marine Grade multi-stranded cable down the centerline, with 8-AWG branches to each localized battery assembly.

The Commuter Pack is actually two bags, each holding 15S3P, with each Paralleled branch made up of 10-AWG "collectors" for lack of a better term, and they use the EC5 connectors to mate to the Main. So the Commuter Pack drapes over the top tube, and the Saddle Bags (two 15S2P assemblies) drape over the top of the Commuter Pack. I really need to take a picture of it.

Anyways - there is no sag whatsoever with the new Bus; not at all like the Road Trip of 2011 (old hardness on the left). Having a good harness really makes for a big performance improvement.

Enjoy, KF

SamTexas said:
And I thought I asked a simple question! What was I thinking?
Sorry; I'm an Engineer :oops:

~KF :)

Back