Average power consumption

Your average W/Hr per mile (not kilometer)

• >10

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • 11 - 15

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • 16 - 20

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 21 - 25

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 26 - 30

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • >51

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Pete

100 W
I am curious to see what sort of power consumptions folk are seeing and at what sort of average speeds. Also wondering how bad the losses are in my convoluted driveline.

Are you using a hub motor or BB ?
Type of bike
Ball park weight

If calculated by hand, please say so otherwise I will assume CA / Watts up data is being used.
For you lucky buggers with more than one bike, go with the one you have put the most k's on in the last few months

I am on a Greenspeed recumbent running a 650w Cyclone. So far I am averaging around 22 Whr / Mile. Average speeds about 24 mph over 15 Miles.

I think you mean Watt-hrs per mile, don't you? (you can't express Watt-Hours in miles!) :D

What I meant was a reference of miles rather then kilometers. There has been some pretty spectacular engineering screwups that have been caused by not defining the base units. :shock:

I do see your point though ;)

0.8Ah to get from my house to the bowling alley on a 48V pack translates to 24Whrs/mi.

This is using the S-Go, which I think weighs around 250lbs total with me on it.

Your brain alone must weigh more than that! :lol:

LOL, TY, I guess. :D

Also, this is at full out (little over 26mph), only pedalling a bit from stops, and none too judicious use of throttle from a stop. 8)

BMX : X5304, 20" wheel, 48v 40amp controller
Norco: 409, 20" wheel, 72v 20am controller
BikeE: 500w, 20" wheel( don't really matter in this case ), 24v 30mp controller.

On all 3 bikes, using CA meters on all 3.. on the same loop, with similar weight riders, either by myself one bike at a time.. or with a 2nd pilot running a 2nd bike sidebyside....

All average to 10 wh/km ( or 18 wh/mile aprox.. sorry i use the metric system.. )

Biggest variable is the wind, it will make this range from 8wh/km to 12 wh/km on average.

That said.. i can make these nubmers vary greatly if i just play around the yard goosing the throttle and hitting the brakes.. or pulse and glide on open roads .. It's all in how you ride it.

31 watt hours per mile is my high- making a 7 mile trip to work in 18.5 minutes! :D
14 watt houirs per mile is my low and this is on a bike path that follows a river in town. No stop signs cars and such, goes through the country- really nice. I actually pedalled a lot and made a 35 mile round trip with power to spare on my 80 cell A123 pack. 8)

I dont know/care about the watt hour per mile, isnt Ah per mile more important? I get about 4 miles per Ah at 20mph or 2 miles per Ah at 30mph.

I look at both when riding my bike and like to see how many amp hours I used to go a given distance too. But in this comparison, watt hours is best for us because it is universal, in that it shows us how much power we used to go a mile. It makes no difference on the voltage of your pack, when comparing various setups. This is why we pay our power bill by watt hours, not amp hours. E.g. A lower voltage setup will pull more amps per hour to do the same amount of work as a higher voltage bike. Yet, the watt hours will be the same.

nomad85 said:
I dont know/care about the watt hour per mile, isnt Ah per mile more important? I get about 4 miles per Ah at 20mph or 2 miles per Ah at 30mph.
Whr/mi includes system voltage, and therefore actual energy consumed.

nomad85 said:

I always make a hash of trying to explain this, but here goes.
Amps is basically counting the number of electrons flowing past a point.
Watts is an expression of power , in Joules. 1 watt is derrived from 1 amp flowing for 1 second with a potential of 1 volt.

Amp hours is directly affected by the voltage you run at. 1 amp at 24 volts is 24 watts. 1 amp at 48 volts is 48watts.

26-29 Wh/m when I ride it like I stole it... which is most of the time. :twisted:
14 Wh/m when I want to ride like a little old man. 11Wh/m if I realy want to stretch it out.

63 pound bike, 74V, 408 mode for the worst numbers, 37V, 4011 mode for the best.

As others have said, Amps per mile isn't usefull for comparing diffrent bikes. Watt hours/mile is.

nutsandvolts said:
No I am hardly pedaling at all! This motor is "supposed" to be 36V 250W and sucked royally as stock with 15A controller, but plugged into clyte brushed controller and 56V lithium it clips along at average 32kph with top near 50kph, and as you can see I'm getting sweet numbers for power consumption. It kept up a speed of 24kph on 8% grade today, maxes out watts around 1200 on steepest hills, highest amp usage 32, average watts are much much lower. I will check my speedo calibration to make sure its right but I'm pretty sure these numbers are correct. I thought this noname brushed motor was crap but now I think otherwise!

Nuts, those watt-hours figures are SO good that we really need to know the details of your bike! Can you describe the setup and post pics (in the hope that someone can identify the motor). Thanks.

nutsandvolts said:
Yeah I saw the "pedal first" controller issue post, but this isn't a pedal first controller. It looks like the brushed controllers have the same problem.

Oops... sorry nuts.. I need to back-read threads better. :? Apologies.

Correct EMF! That got passed me too! :D

Back