When XP is dead I will migrate to....

My brother has been bugging me to used Linux for a few years. I may get a new laptop in a couple years and start the new one on Linux while the old one is still working with Windows to make the transition easier...

Ubuntu Linux all the way! I only use Windows on one machine now and that's because I have to. I have a couple of pieces of equipment at my business that have controller software that runs under Windows.

I have been using Ubuntu for several years now. It's so nice not having to worry about viruses or all the other crap that goes along with it.

I couple of years ago I built my father a Linux box. He's in his 70's and he absolutely loves it. If he can make the switch anyone can.

I think the one issue that kills linux for some people is the lack of Silverlight and the ability to watch Netflix. Actually, you still can under Wine but that's another discussion. But so many people use Roku boxes or another streaming device for that purpose it's amost a non-issue these days.

Lessss said:
then add the os
---

The wine install is pretty simple, it's copy paste a few commands into terminal enter a password and done.

Yup, that's another great thing about Linux. There's usually a workaround for everything.

Ypedal said:
there is a workaround for almost everything , in every OS...

Lol, you're right. I didn't say that quite right... There's usually an easy workaround for almost everything in Linux.

I could go on and on about how much I like Ubuntu but OS's are a lot like a religion to some people. But, if you're in the market for a new OS you may as well try Linux. It's free after all. You don't even have to install it, just burn a live cd and give it a go.

Did I just here easy and linux in one sentence? ;)
Linux is well geeky. I'm not sure how it's even called an operating system. It's about as clunky as windows 3.1

Hiren's boot cd has a version of linux that will run on your pc in ram. No HD required. Just set bios to boot from cdrom and linux will install in ram. Thus you can give it a whirl without actually installing it.

It is not for the masses.

After XP I believe it is win7

Chrome is linux based. updates every 6 weeks. (free)
got my chromebook last august $199
Never had XP
had a $99 WEBTV from 98-2013.

friendly1uk said:
Did I just here easy and linux in one sentence? ;)
Linux is well geeky. I'm not sure how it's even called an operating system. It's about as clunky as windows 3.1

Hiren's boot cd has a version of linux that will run on your pc in ram. No HD required. Just set bios to boot from cdrom and linux will install in ram. Thus you can give it a whirl without actually installing it.

It is not for the masses.

After XP I believe it is win7

Wow... You obviously haven't used or read about linux since about 10 years ago. You really should do yourself a favor and try a modern Linux distribution. To say linux is as clunky as Windows 3.1 is just plain laughable.

Ubuntu (and many other distros) are very much for the masses. It's not like the old days of compiling software or not having drivers for hardware.

And no, running a Hiren's boot cd will not give you an idea about a modern, polished version of Linux.

I could care less what os you choose but don't spread false information.

Edumacate yourself:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203969

Err... hiren's is ubuntu. I have used it in the last 12 months and found it just how I say I found it. I invite others to give it a go though.

Like with everything, It has it's fan boys.

friendly1uk said:
Err... hiren's is ubuntu. I have used it in the last 12 months and found it just how I say I found it. I invite others to give it a go though.

Like with everything, It has it's fan boys.

Lol. Hiren's is absolutely not Ubuntu. And you're right, Hiren's isn't an OS either. It's a set of tools and it's based on Knoppix.

If that's what you are basing your opinion about what Linux is about you're missing out on the what Linux is.

Again... Edumacate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren's_BootCD

friendly1uk said:
Not Ubuntu. Hiren's BootCD has Parted Magic, a specialized disk partitioning and rescue Linux distribution for PC technicians, without particular emphasis on ease of use and a pleasing GUI look unlike the general-purpose Ubuntu. Ubuntu and other Linux flavors nowadays look about as polished as Windows 7.

Hiren's BootCD 15.2 contents
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Hiren's Boot CD and You Part IV: Linux Programs (Parted Magic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHcsUvmpG0

I'm using linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) and I often forget I'm no longer running win7. I am able to use almost all my games in wine, and there are just as good or better linux equivalents to windows apps.

Ms office - libre office, apache office Koffice, or stand alone apps like Scribus, Gnumeric, Kexi, EASE Presentation
email - thunderbird, evolution, kmail and many more.
browsers - firefox, chrom, opera and many more
graphics editing mspaint etc - GIMP
Chat -?mschat? -- Pidgin
Accounting Quicken? - - Grisbi, Gnucash
mediaplayer - - VLC(can play bluray)
etc... http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

The only thing I am unable to do is run my Lorex security camera program.... but I don't need to as that is a stand alone machine, and if I want to I could also set my machine up as dual boot and boot into win7 to use it. I don't dual boot because win7 was so BLOATED it occupied an insane amount of hard drive space.

Interestingly my hauppage tv card that would not run under win7 (but did under XP) DOES work under linux.

I did have some trouble getting 2 graphics cards to work but eventually discovered the specific cards I had did not play well together and simply exchanged one of the two cards with one from another machine and no issues.

Converting documents from MS to Linux is pretty seemless as well. There are undoubtedly going to be a few things that extreme POWER users do with proprietary windows software that may need to rebuilt or cleaned up after conversion but for 80% of even power users there should be no issue, and pretty much none for an average end user.

Android?

Well all this protesting...... I'm now writing to you using firefox which I just downloaded using ubuntu which I'm running off the hiren's disc.

This gives me a taste of linux without tainting my hard drive.

Isn't this where I started.

I'm just running from cd, using ram for storage. What I'm doing will be gone when I reboot. My XP install is sat on my hard drive, but it never got run. I can look at it, and read the file structure to get my files. Which I do to send them too the cloud if I have a virus running on my drive. Then reformat and reinstall the os+basic programs image.

This is so much more than just a tool. I'm not sure I would call it an os either, but I can stream a movie, check my mail, Basically get by.

If anyone want's 'wowing' by an impressive lineup of tools, check out this following link

friendly1uk said:
Well all this protesting...... I'm now writing to you using firefox which I just downloaded using ubuntu which I'm running off the hiren's disc.

This gives me a taste of linux without tainting my hard drive.

Isn't this where I started.

I'm just running from cd, using ram for storage. What I'm doing will be gone when I reboot. My XP install is sat on my hard drive, but it never got run. I can look at it, and read the file structure to get my files. Which I do to send them too the cloud if I have a virus running on my drive. Then reformat and reinstall the os+basic programs image.

This is so much more than just a tool. I'm not sure I would call it an os either, but I can stream a movie, check my mail, Basically get by.

If anyone want's 'wowing' by an impressive lineup of tools, check out this following link

Actually, it doesn't matter what version of Linux it's running, it's a stripped down version that's giving you no taste of what a full Ubuntu distro is at all. Hiren's is not meant to be an os replacement. It's a set of tools for fixing computer problems.

Its weird how seldom I even need a PC anymore.

If all MS products vanished tomorrow it would have almost no impact in my life. Linux/Android simply works better for everything I need to do.

Closed software is a dying old business/development model anyways. Good riddance. :)

Hmmm. I never used XP; always thought of it as the cow-series o/s designed for the masses. At the time, I ran Server and went through all the iterations up until one day I bought a Dell gaming pc that came with XP; nope - wipe the drive and I put Win7 on board and it remains that way ever since.

But then I got an Android and started having electric dreams of programming in Mono. I d/l'd Eclipse and was stumped by the IDE; why so clunky? But then I found out VS could compile in Mono - for a price. Hmmm... Maybe I'm spinning my wheels here. So I begged off the Android platform and waited like an expecting mother sitting on a nice nest egg. I mean - I had already created a brother in Windows, but to port it over would be a rewrite.

As it was, I decided not to wait cos my now "old" pc was becoming unreliable - after 6 glorious years without much of a hitch; it's still faster than the newest laptops thanks to that gaming chip, but it doesn't have the latest hardware to support the next line of development.

So I went to the next hardware level and spent coin on Win8. I know you'll laugh but when Win9 comes out I'll be set. See - just because Win8 has a sucky UI doesn't mean it's going to stay that way, just like it didn't for Vista and Millennium; O/S farts every other iteration. Win8 has a great subsystem (like Vista) and unless you are a developer - you'd never know the fixes that went into making great software.

I can't tell you what's coming out. I'm not going to stop the flood of people bailing over to iPads or Androids; that's a personal choice - like mine is to stay with an O/S that I've been working with since um... Windows 2.0

I'm not going to bite the hand that feeds my face; they've been a good client - and heck, this past year has been fab!

I may be the only Windows advocate on this thread, however without competition - this would be a boring world. We must have challenge. I raise my (now empty - but not for long) pint glass in your general direction and toast to your consumer happiness: May it be all that you hope it will be!

That's the best any developer of applications can hope for 8)

D'oh, time to reboot again... Just kidding :twisted:
Cheers, KF

My main PC is still on XP, laptop on win7, phone on Android 4.3 , they all do what i need them to do, and when there is one rare exception on one device, one of the other two manage to do it.. diversity = win. :p

when friends and family show up with Ixxx devices and beg for help... i refuse...... everytime i try to fix an issue on any one of those jerky things, it turns into hours of futile frustration.

Back