Motor controller survey

pengl

100 µW
Hi

We're a small business in the UK who plan to produce a general purpose single-channel motor controller and we'd like to find out what features are important to different types of user.

We've prepared a short survey http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1582969/Motor-Controller-Survey and I'm inviting forum readers to complete it.

To anyone who does: thanks for your time.

pengl

EDIT: Fixed Link

I took your survey.
Your question about how important the one and only one controller voltage range was a little strange. That's about like a car dealer asking me "How important are windshields to you?". My answer could be anything from Very! I realy want one! to Not important at all, as long as it has one.
So Any answer I give that question on a scale of 1-5 is going to be meaningless.

Hello, I'd like to add that we're aiming to build a controller that allows the user to programme more than just a few parameters. Essentially we'd like users to be able to write programmes to process inputs from sensors (crankshaft torque sensors etc.) and download logged data. In terms of design quality and components used we will ensure that is not working like as an electric heater. Any comments welcome. Thanks for you help.

pengl said:
Hello, I'd like to add that we're aiming to build a controller that allows the user to programme more than just a few parameters. Essentially we'd like users to be able to write programmes to process inputs from sensors (crankshaft torque sensors etc.) and download logged data.

We can do that with off-the-shelf components today. How will your product differentiate itself from the popular CycleAnalyst/Any Controller out there combo everyone uses?

-JD

pengl said:
Hello, I'd like to add that we're aiming to build a controller that allows the user to programme more than just a few parameters. Essentially we'd like users to be able to write programmes to process inputs from sensors (crankshaft torque sensors etc.) and download logged data. In terms of design quality and components used we will ensure that is not working like as an electric heater. Any comments welcome. Thanks for you help.

Have you seen the Adaptto Mini-E and Maxi-E? How will your product compare to it?

Reason I ask, I believe that this is the next evolution for controllers and it will make other manufacturers step up their offerings. If you are going to jump into the game and try to change it, start off offering at least what Adaptto will be offering.

Hello cal3thousand. I'd like to check the products you mentioned but can't find them. Can you post a link? Thanks.

Hello oatnet. We haven't come across any controllers that give you a sine drive wave or that incorporate the functionality of cycle analyst with the controller. Given the power of microchips we don't think it's necessary to split the functions and have a whole load of extra cables. Most of the controllers we've come across also seem to require a lot of heat sinking, which possibly indicates cheap mosfets and high switching losses. We believe that a high efficiency controller should handle 20A continuous without the need for any heatsinks whatsoever.

Back