Where to put my lights...?

Get the forum community involved in polls and surveys.

Whare to putthem...

14%
Bottom
57%
Both
14%
Something else
14%

Total votes: 14

friendly1uk
10 MW
10 MW

Where to put my lights...?

Post by friendly1uk » Oct 28, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm going to put some lights on the bike soon, then do some testing to show folks how the £5 ebay lights do. But where to put them?
This is easy, as the break pulls have a mounting hole for mirrors. Now I'm offering them up, I'm thinking just one in the middle might be better. Though somewhat more work
Image069.jpg
Image073.jpg
Attachments
Image070.jpg
Image074.jpg
Image074.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
Image071.jpg
Image075.jpg
Image068.jpg
Image076.jpg
bmsbattery sent me broken and incorrect stuff, and won't even talk to me about it.

friendly1uk
10 MW
10 MW

Re: Where to put my lights...?

Post by friendly1uk » Oct 30, 2014 1:08 am

24 views, 3 votes, one of each. A leg shaving thread would of yielded more results. It's good to know I'm amongst fellow men. I don't care enough to have an opinion either. I might just stick with my head torch :)
bmsbattery sent me broken and incorrect stuff, and won't even talk to me about it.

The fingers
100 GW
100 GW

Post by The fingers » Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

I like my helmet light the best, but I'm not sure if it qualifies under the vehicle code as a bicycle light. :?
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Oct 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Under the bars seems stealthier
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

The fingers
100 GW
100 GW

Post by The fingers » Oct 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Sometimes I wish I had an almost ground level light that casts a long visible shadow from small objects on the road surface making them easier to avoid. :|
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Nov 02, 2014 8:23 pm

The fingers wrote:Sometimes I wish I had an almost ground level light that casts a long visible shadow from small objects on the road surface making them easier to avoid. :|
I put my headlight down closer to my seat level (around halfway between the road surface and my eyes) so that I can get that shadow. :)

There are still situations where an object is just hte right position/height/depth/etc that it doesn't cast the shadow I'd see it by, but most of the time this works fine.

I've seen a few bikes iwth normal headlight on the bars, and another one or pair down at the dropouts or just above them.

mateusleo
1 kW
1 kW

Post by mateusleo » Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Not on the subject, but could you take a picture showing how strong those lights are in the dark road? I've been planning to buy one...
1000w - 48v Ebike with 48v 20ah LiFePO4 pack from sun-thing28

friendly1uk
10 MW
10 MW

Post by friendly1uk » Jan 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Kiriakos GR wrote:
friendly1uk wrote: I don't care enough to have an opinion either.
It seems that deep in you, you are aware that you lost your money by getting those worthless lights, and no matter if you receive a golden opinion nothing can really change this situation.
Cheers Krackers. Others have liked them. I got them knowing I could backpedal and paint them red though. I won't be disappointed wherever they are finally fitted. I ran a rear cable this week in anticipation.

I have been playing with lights in general. This phone pic has contrast issues, but the room light and torch are different colours. Look at the skirting. This mod doesn't seem to loose any usable light at all. It just collects stray beam and redistributes it quite evenly. While giving that clean cut-off line that people will buy into.

There is a clear horizon issue. A large band where no overlap is present. This band theoretically reduces to nothing as the mirror moves lower, until on axis with the led. I have been filing flats onto leds in order to get them close to mirrors, but have no first surface mirror yet. Perhaps the cake slice needs to go missing.
Attachments
Gudgin2.JPG
Gudgin2.JPG (27.39 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

friendly1uk
10 MW
10 MW

Post by friendly1uk » Feb 05, 2015 5:40 pm

I have about finished my light. Here I'm looking towards the corner of the garden where a dark green bush stands. The light is pointing down the right side of the photo. Here you see the left hand edge of the wide beam. Half the height of my fences. Lots of floor. Nothing above the cut-off line. Which is straight, but as we are looking in a corner, with a dark bush dead center, it gives the illusion it's not.
Dj.jpg
(223.98 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
The file in the post above shows just how much light I have redirected.

It's one of the 11-80v $15 lights with the big domed lens. http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Cree ... 23250.html
Modified of course

Edit: Looking at the light with my face illuminated, I get glare that makes it bigger than the sun. That's standard. Looking from within the shadow, It's like a free keyring torch from the petrol station. The difference is night and day.

friendly1uk
10 MW
10 MW

Post by friendly1uk » Feb 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Another with the supplied lens. Puts a circle on the fence, while painting the grass leading up to it, but not the fence above it. Again.. Ok to look at from in the shadow but painful in the light.

The light is 4 foot of the ground, it's not a trick ;)
Attachments
dg2.JPG
dg2.JPG (71.78 KiB) Viewed 1456 times