Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fechter

Administrator
Staff member
EbikeMaui, aka Randy Draper, continues to be disruptive to the forum and has been warned repeatedly. I really wanted to give him a chance here to share his technical knowledge, but the behavior issues did not go away.

If the overall atmosphere of the forum 'gets polluted', it deters newcomers and old timers alike. I am not willing to let one individual spoil it for so many others.

But let the members decide. Vote now.

if u could find a way to limit him, i'd try that 1st.
1. quote key won't work for him
2. or a word limit
3. or a 1 post per day limit.
if no can do,
a suspension,
3 days,
then 10
then 30
then ban

even a slow learner could catch on :roll:

Matt Gruber said:
if u could find a way to limit him, i'd try that 1st.
1. quote key won't work for him
2. or a word limit
3. or a 1 post per day limit.
if no can do,
a suspension,
3 days,
then 10
then 30
then ban

even a slow learner could catch on :roll:
In my experience with online forums, the moment you do anything to limit someone they either leave (never to show again) or become more disruptive by registering new accounts, getting friends to come in and cause trouble, etc. I've seen it tried in the past, but if someone is dead set on causing trouble they won't stop no matter how much you limit them. It's pretty much a ban/noban situation if you really want to remove anyone causing problems.

Given how "relaxed" we are here already, to get banned takes a lot of effort :evil:

Ban him for the fact that he continues to cause trouble here seemingly undeterred by Fechter's public warning. Obviously he just doesn't get it.

Perhaps some of the threads he has ruined could be cleaned up by users and/or mods deleting posts.

He's not actually a troll; he just doesn't know any better. Therefore I recommend a temporary suspension, for one week or possibly one month, though a week should be sufficient. I don't think a ban is appropriate.

Randy has significant knowledge of the field.

Simply ignore the inappropriate comments and lead by example of on-topic posting. A true-troll needs members who fall for the bait.

Regard any personal comments as inability to provide a good answer and ignore them.

We have a fine party growing here. If somebody farts (even maliciously), back away and bring in some fresh air. Do not fart back in retaliation, it only makes the whole place stink.

I’ve been lurking for a couple of weeks and never imagined my first post would be to a sensitive topic. Since I don’t have a dog in this hunt I’m not qualified to vote and since I don’t mind getting banned before I get started let me state my observations:

I am electrically challenged and I believe a lot of people like me are drawn to a group of this nature because we want to learn about e-bikes or e-cars or whatever. What we want to learn includes an opinion of what to buy, where to buy it, how to upgrade, what the h*ll is a controller and do I need to change it when I upgrade to a Kryptonite battery, etc.
Unfortunately, I really have to dig for that information on this board; my opinion is that it is not organized very well.

Generally, I see posts where people ask these questions and usually get a good answer or at least a percentage of a good answer. The thread quite often gets hijacked however and not necessarily by the accused. Quite often a scientific type starts throwing out theorems and quantitative analyses which leaves the original questioner with his mouth agape. The bottom line is I have to read or at least scan all the posts hoping to find the information I need.

Conversely, I do care about the outcome but could care less about the details of scientific or engineering experiments, tests, discussions degenerating to arguments and subsequent flames and ultimate banishment. I believe there are probably 8 to 10 of you including Mr. Randy, engaged in this aspect of the board. Maybe you few need to decide who will participate in your discussions not a poll of the entire board.

fechter said:
EbikeMaui, aka Randy Draper, continues to be disruptive to the forum and has been warned repeatedly. I really wanted to give him a chance here to share his technical knowledge, but the behavior issues did not go away.

If the overall atmosphere of the forum 'gets polluted', it deters newcomers and old timers alike. I am not willing to let one individual spoil it for so many others.

I will make this easy for the gang that wastes time on telling us how great there hub motors are.. Keep on lying about them with out me.
ALOHA!
Take a vote on ep and others while you are at it.
Hey man.
Have you any brain problems or you cannot understand a very simple question ???

You cannot compare No load Wattage at the same rpms if they have QUITE DIFFERENT nominal RPMs.

So you acting like a stupid troll now repeating again and again what is completely useless and false.

EbikeMaui said:
I will make this easy for the gang that wastes time on telling us how great there hub motors are.. Keep on lying about them with out me.
ALOHA!
If the majority votes 'No'......?

jerryt said:
Conversely, I do care about the outcome but could care less about the details of scientific or engineering experiments, tests, discussionsegenerating to arguments and subsequent flames and ultimate banishment..

Perhaps it would be a nice idea to have a less technical noobies subforum. I'm aware that some of the tech terms and shorthand must be pretty incomprehensible to non EV geeks. That said, I love all the tech chat and expermiments on here even though sometimes it does get a little daft :D

Welcome to the forums btw

Re randy, I pretty much agree with Tyler. He comes up with some cool ideas sometimes

The only real issue I have is if it becomes a big headache for the site admins who dedicate their free time to making the site work. If it is it becomes like that then I think they should do whatever's necessary.

NickF23 said:
Perhaps it would be a nice idea to have a less technical noobies subforum. I'm aware that some of the tech terms and shorthand must be pretty incomprehensible to non EV geeks. That said, I love all the tech chat and expermiments on here even though sometimes it does get a little daft :D
I was thinking about that as well. I just wouldn't want it to get over-run by well us, LOL, when someone ask "what's a good battery to use" and 8 pages later with charts and techno talk they get an answer that says "depends on what you want".
:wink:

A lot of people come to the forum looking for information. While we may only have 100+ members, this forum now gets about 1,000 guest per day. I imagine with gas prices going even higher, more will come looking for good information.

A lot of members here have good information and experience. But.... I know that a lot time and effort went into that good info, so I'm not one to say you must give away everything for free. I was thinking about creating a sub-site that is static in nature. Meaning, it will present information in a form that is easy to read and understand without the pages of debate along with a way for the author who writes the information to make some pocket change for his efforts.

Google and Yahoo have ad programs that anyone can sign up for, the ads could be stuck at the bottom out of the way and people that come to visit that page for info can show their appreciation to the author by clicking some ads at the bottom to generate a few $$ for the author of the information.

It's a good way to encourage good articles about the subject along with the effort to break it down to layman speak for the rest of us. I've found some software that can do just this, I'm just trying to figure out all the details so we can prevent abuse, plagiarism, etc.

NickF23 said:
Re randy, I pretty much agree with Tyler. He comes up with some cool ideas sometimes

The only real issue I have is if it becomes a big headache for the site admins who dedicate their free time to making the site work. If it is it becomes like that then I think they should do whatever's necessary.
Oh believe me, the forum bots are the biggest headache right now. That's why all accounts are "admin" approval. I feel sorry for Fetcher though, he gets all the same "new account ding" e-mails that I do and I'm usually through them fairly fast leaving him having to figure out which ones I deleted and which ones were OK to leave, :lol:

CGameProgrammer said:
Partly for that reason, I simply require javascript to be enabled on my websites. Bots don't run it, so I never have to deal with them.
Hmm, that's a good idea. I could throw the code at the top of the registration page and see how it works. Basically a "java_script=pass" and "no_java_script=no_pass", very simple with some php code. Thanks for the idea, we all will thank you :D

I gave up on Yahoo's Power Assist because I felt like there was a good chance of getting flamebroiled - similarly the Batteries forum on RC Groups has often tended towards getting slow-roasted. If I felt like I was getting overly attacked on here, I'd probably stop posting here too.

My job at times is stressful enough with difficult meetings - over the last couple of weeks my projects been faced with massive budget cuts... when I come home I want to work on something that is fun.. I don't want people telling me how stupid I am.

I think Randy brings a lot of technical knowledge and he has a different point of view. I respect his technical knowledge. I don't quite understand the hostility towards a motor that works well for me... I wish that he could "just chill".

jerryt I think I might be one of those people that you are describing. I'll try to work on this. Thanks for pointing it out.

A lot of people come to the forum looking for information. While we may only have 100+ members, this forum now gets about 1,000 guest per day.

That a lot of hits. Possibly more than the old Voltage forum 8)

A lot of members here have good information and experience. But.... I know that a lot time and effort went into that good info, so I'm not one to say you must give away everything for free. I was thinking about creating a sub-site that is static in nature. Meaning, it will present information in a form that is easy to read and understand without the pages of debate along with a way for the author who writes the information to make some pocket change for his efforts.

Google and Yahoo have ad programs that anyone can sign up for, the ads could be stuck at the bottom out of the way and people that come to visit that page for info can show their appreciation to the author by clicking some ads at the bottom to generate a few $$ for the author of the information.

It's a good way to encourage good articles about the subject along with the effort to break it down to layman speak for the rest of us. I've found some software that can do just this, I'm just trying to figure out all the details so we can prevent abuse, plagiarism, etc.
Sounds like a good idea.I think there's a real need for that kind of information. I imagine some people just want to try/get a complete bike/ scooter or kit. So it might also be good to have a directory of locations dealers and shops that sell ebikes/ kits etc

Perhaps you could link to a topic highlighting this behaviour?

Here are some generalized rules everyone should follow.

If you think something is crap and wish to state so then you must give detailed point form information on why it is crap. You must compare and give examples. If you find you need to repeat this information DO NOT POST IT AGAIN but give a link to the original location.

REFRAIN from using the quote button. Try not use it on anything within 3 postings of your reply unless yours will be long and go to a new page, and do not quote an entire post if you are simply referring to one or two lines.

If you want to post a chart or graph you may only do so if you explain it, not just label it. I know I've looked at a few an mentally said "ok WTFrench so what's your point?"

If something you want to post "depends on what you want". Then ASK what they want and reply to those conditions and only then mention alternatives in brief and ask if they'd like more details on the alternatives.

Remember something may be crap to you but it might be all someone else can use due to the LAW, Budget, Mechanical knowhow and tools.

I for one have a non hub motor I'm still trying to figure out how to mount and get a proper sprocket for.

EbikeMaui said:
fechter said:

ALOHA!

Randy, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Since this is the "Vote on banning Randy" thread, I will add that his response here is EXACTLY the sort of off topic trolling that landed him here in the first place. Pushing his agenda in every thread he can find. :roll:

I voted YES.

Did anybody else notice that Xyster left the building when the "Randts" started?

Coincidence?! Nah..

I would trade 100 Randy's for 1 Xyster!

-S

Stevil_Knevil said:
Did anybody else notice that Xyster left the building when the "Randts" started?

Coincidence?! Nah..

I would trade 100 Randy's for 1 Xyster!

-S

I don't think Xy is intimidated by anybody, least of all RD.

The good thing is, you don't have to trade. You can have both (or anybody), easily.

Simply ignore provocative comments and stay on topic.

:D

as a newbie - i personally think that he has added (some) information to the forum, and prima facie shouldn't be banned, even thoguh a lot of his posts are flagrant and self promoting.

He does provide occasional bits of useful information to the community, (i'm thinking of that BLDC controller in particular) and while I and others don't appreciate the delivery of his advice, or posts in the most part, it still contributes to the community as a whole.

BUT Randy - let this be a warning to you, that its time to modify the way you post online. People are dis-satisfied with YOU, not your information. If you change the way you deliver your information ie ur posts then you will get a lot more supporters in this (and future forums).

You do have some good ideas and i would hate them to go to waste, but this isn't the forum to reinforce how good you think you are. - put your bikes to the test insted - that would benefit all involved, and help to promote proper testing of ideas. Maytag did an excellent job of this - with his x5 vs puma video - we need more of that.

Ferrari doesn't go on press junkets saying how wikid their cars are and that they can do crazy stuff, they leave that to others. lowell posted a video of him travelling at 86kph, but he didn't brag about it, others can clearly see how amazing what his bike did for that.

You should think about doing the same :) - we are all working towards the same goal - clean fast fun bikes that don't cost much to run, and give us the flexability to enjoy life insted of being caught up in the rat race and being detrimental to the plannet.

Kindest Regards,
Haydon

I voted no, let him stay, mainly because I like the Girl Scouts insult he came up with to hurl at his detractors, that's hilarious, keep it going Randy! I'm somewhat biased- I was on a forum last year, ran by a fat lying Canadian (who shall remain nameless), and Randy was also there and we had some fun with the yokels on that joke of a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back