2009 70 MPH Spincycle PIR/World Record setter, Josh K.

Josh K.

100 W
Hi Folks,

We took the opportunity to run our five year old hand built E Tek Equiped pedal trike at the Portland International Speedway, for the Worlds Fastest Electric Bicycle record. We are sending information in to the Guinness Book of records this week.
This Trike is Running on 500 amps of juice coming out of 48 volts, of Optima spiral cell yellow tops. 24,000 watts of power propelled me Zero to just over 70 MPH, on a 1/8th drag race track at the E power challenge this Memorial day weekend. It was great fun to have a nice and smooth closed course track to race on, thanks to the HPV guys in Portland. I have been running this trike around for the last five years, at about 20 miles an hour, getting a 40 mile run per charge, but this was awesome to be able to allow it's full potential to pour out on the track! I hope to see some more machines out there next year for the unrestricted E bike Drag racing... :lol:

Here is a photo before the race, as we checked on the Equipment, and made sure everything was a go...E trike power.jpg

nice Josh 8)
i hope the driver (you?) was wearing a bit more safety gear at the time ;)
Kudos on the speed, mighty impressive but of course you realise Docbass now has a target, hold the phone :!: :twisted:
seriously Kudos, do you have any more pics/vids from the day at all - i see there's a zero behind many other EV's?

Cheers,

D

What was your time in the 1/8th? Can you post your time slip with the 60' and 330' ?

I'm curious to see how the uber-ebikes leave the hole. How did other bikes do?

there is video of josh's etek trike in the 1/8 mile drag over on ohpv.org under tha capt's video and pictures.

in the first video of josh you can hear me cursing because i missed him with my camera because he was going so fast he was outa the frame before the shutter clicked, and on the second try, i got the last part of his rear wheel. times i heard were 12.09 and 12.47.

i wanted him to try again but he was pooped after having ridden in 2 long ebike races all that morning, just losing to the amazing bill bushnell.

maybe they can do the electric drag stuff since the track is shared over the weekend with the electrathon folks who were running their electric trikes like there was no tomorrow, but mostly were young kids so there is a long tomorrow for them. also a lotta recumbents racing all day both days before the ebike races.

i have a buncha pictures with no comments over on my google public album, rdnmun@picasweb.com.

here is a picture of josh finishing the second ebike race.

Attachments

• DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,835
deecanio said:
nice Josh 8)
i hope the driver (you?) was wearing a bit more safety gear at the time ;) Well Yeah! Gloves and a full face helmet!
Kudos on the speed, mighty impressive but of course you realise Docbass now has a target, hold the phone :!: :twisted:
seriously Kudos, do you have any more pics/vids from the day at all - i see there's a zero behind many other EV's?

Cheers,

D

Hi,

dnmun said:
there is video of josh's etek trike in the 1/8 mile drag over on ohpv.org under tha capt's video and pictures.

Would you mind posting a link?

Thanks!

Mitch

Heh, nothing like getting pressed into the back of your seat, eh?

I don't get the emphasis on top speed though. Isn't elapsed time more important?

ours is not to question but to do or die.

i think it is just the image of human electric hybrid dragster also matching up with the drag racing history of our common popular culture. at PIR of all places, where my neighbor takes his honda and runs the same course at 160mph on his motorcycle when they have lap days.

my high school buddy had his dad's big V8 engine with 4 speed shifter on the floor. the car was a boat with soft shocks so it would lean over when peeling the tires off the back end. but we thought it was fun. burnouts are a race bike thing too. was kinda funny because the cloud of smoke started over by josh's place and drifted the entire length of the parking lot for everyone to smell. hehe.

bill musta been having a lotta friction in his rear derailer because it most probably was coming apart all day before that, that musta slowed him down while burning up. i bet it broke when he drove onto that curb in the fountain downtown. or got bent then.

i thought that was the coolest part of the whole event was having the left coast velomobile gathering at the same time. so these 2 poles of our culture fused between past and future.

i really liked how simple tayler's velo was. now i think i could do trike, and velo on top, with assist too.

2 WAWs too, next year 3WAWs toot toot.

dnmun, have you seen a fella called Dennis Palatov in the Portland EV scene?

His web site makes interesting reading (dpcars.net) and I notice he is building an electric version of his dp1. :mrgreen:

Apparently he does his testing at the PIR.

no, never knew any of these people before the memorial day races. i started reading that guys car blog, those are exceptional cars, real race cars.

so much EV stuff going on around here though, white zombie drag racer is here in se portland somewhere, metricmind.com victor .. forgot his name, is over the hill in happy valley travis has a motorcycle conversion, there was a converted insight at PIR, and a civic and another conversion too. and webfootguy had his twike there, i really liked that, he is gonna convert it from nicad to a123, 112S no less, but his nicad is about 375V now.

all new for me, still getting an education.

I went to the Denver Electric vehicle council meeting last weekend. I rode my E bike 105 miles back and forth from Fort Collins and Boulder. 5 hours, and about a 1,000 watt hours! Anyways, I had the good fortune to meet one of the Killacycle battery techs, and he was speaking about their needs for the next bike...1000 hp motor, with 500 C Batteries!!! Wow. I can't imagine what kind of power that must be. hmmm 7 second 1/4 mile drag racing, Wow now that is what fast is...

wow, that is a trip! did you go through berthod on 287 and then take the diagonal down to bouder? how did you go from boulder into denver? through broomfield, on 6th?

for those that don't know this is a car crazy place to ride, a real life changing endeavor.

did you take the long bike with the 60 tooth front chainring? with your fairing and sock? too cool, how did they like it?

Yeah, actually I went along Taft through Loveland, Berthoud and Longmont, using the diagonal into Boulder, 51 miles.
Then on the return trip, I took a left earlier, by the west side of the Microsoft plant, and followed as close to the hills as I reasonably could, using back roads. I stopped in Hygiene Colorado, with the worlds largest cotton wood tree! Saw many Licra road riders, and knew it was a better road to ride on. Never went to Denver, and next month, everyone is coming to my shop for the meeting on the 18th. I hope that many of the folks attending will ride their hand crafted Electric vehicles out to show at our shop.

I did use the long Rans, no sock, and pulled a Bob trailer full of gear! No problems with traffic, much nicer than out east, or down south, for sure.

So, Stats:
104 miles,
41.15 ah
1038 watt hrs
9.9 wh/mi
40.7 max speed
5.23 hrs/min
end voltage, 19.9
charged mid point, 2.5 hours (not included in total time)
Epic ride, beating my road bike time of 6 hours, when I was in shape!

Need to reduce my gear inches on pedals, speeding up my cadence for sure. Plus, next time, I won't have the trailer on, pulling about 20 lbs of charger, cord, rain gear, tools, books water ect...

I really want to do a hundred miles, in a little less than 4 hours of riding time. I will get a little faster charger, and adjust my pedal gearing, drop the trailer, and maybe even put the sock back on! Gonna do it this summer, I can feel it!
This E bike rocks...Josh K.

How many pedaling gears did you use in the 1/8 mile ?

what was the elapsed time ... speed ?

Hi,

I only used 8 speeds, with a 54 tooth chainring up front, and a 34-12 tooth cog in the back. I was happy to still have some pedal input throughout the run. Zero -70 mph, in 12 seconds. One run was 11.6, another was 12.4, I call it a 12 second 1/8th mile drag-strip run. Fun stuff, too fast for the streets, but great on the track.
A friend is talking about the salt flats...

Josh K.

Keep in mind, the salt flats have higher rolling resistance, and they are slippery as hell. It's kinda like the more unsafe and unhelpful to going fast surface you can ride on.

But, no other place gives you 30miles with nothing to crash into, so it has its place when you want to go >300mph.

For speeds under 200mph, it seems pretty silly though, because there tons of dragstrips long enough to handle those speeds with ease, and give you a nice soft sandpit at the end if you can't get stopped in time. Most tracks also have enough stageing lane length to let you being going at a pretty high speed before you even enter the track straight away.

Also, with ET's you do NOT average them. You get to claim the best ET, and the best ET only. If you make 50 passes at 12.4seconds, and 1 perfect pass at 11.6, you are an 11.6second vehicle. You are not a 12 second vehicle, and having 8/10ths of a second difference is a HUGE spread. That would be double what seperates first place from last place in any racing division. Look for the things that happened in your fastest run, and adopt them into your racing technique.

Great work and best wishes!
-Luke

Not bad, not bad....

*apples to oranges* comparison here:

But considering Sam Whittington can go 83 mph :shock: in a fully faired recumbent
called the Varna Diablo II (I think)....without any assist, human power only on the flat...

He's a monster though....averaging over 60 mph for an hour as well. :shock:

I would think that is Josh's next step. Stick a fairing on and hit 100mph! Way to go! Tadpole trikes rule!
otherDoc

Back