Rad Kona Kikapu

This has been a very successful conversion. This is my 9th build and has already provided me with over 200 miles of excitement in the last month.

Here is a video of the bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZTnnfpeZU

I purchased a used kona kikapu, installed a new used fork from one of my old dh bikes, and a 9 continents 9x7 rear hub motor. and installed a disk brake adapter from bicycle designer which works surprisingly well, I couldn't fit an 8'' rotor and a 6'' just barely fit because of the width of the hub motor. I didn't have rim brake tabs so v-brakes were not an option.
disk+brake+adapter.jpg

kikapu+lone.jpg

I used 2 ping 36 volt 15 amp/hr packs, using galvanized steel flashing and rivets we built boxes to hold and protect the batteries, switches, ports, and connectors:
batteries+2.jpg

I used an original e-crazyman 72v 30 amp controller from knuckles which somehow is still working :shock: One morning I tried to get the bike powered up after a long, torturous ride the evening before and no go. After detailed inspection I found some loose connections in the controller where the heat must have melted the solder here:
melted+mos.jpg

Everything has been working great. the bike runs smooth, Although I prefer the power off the line of my 60v 50 amp stinky, this bike is very smooth and the nine continents hub handles the overvolting with little reluctance. It gets hot after 10 miles or so but never stops. this things a thrill. it may not have the same top speed as my freinds quantya's but with 1/8th the cost, a longer range, no insurance, no registration, easy parking, easy loading, cheaper parts, and you can carry it over shallow rivers :wink:
new+60v.jpg

Questions, Comments, Advice, Thanks!

heres another video displaying the nice 9 cont humming during a really short wheelie.
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpBX0ymFtI4 [/youtube]

Good work Mike. I'm just curious, why did you want a kikapu after you already had the stinky? How does it compare? I have the option of taking a well specced 2004 stinky for about $1100 from a guy I know. My kahuna frame seems to be identical to the kikapu frame, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same bike with a different name so I'm wondering what the gains and losses would be with a stinky.

BTW it looks like youtube killed all the sound on your video thanks to the leeches in the music industry.

Great looking build! What is the clearance like between the battery box and the front tire.

Cheers Greg

patrick:
I had extra batteries and I wanted to have a couple full suspension bikes for riding with friends and taking people out. The stinky, with a tripple crown and heavier components weighs more than the kikapu and pedals less efficiently, but with electric it doesn't matter! I would say stick with the bike you have unless you need two, they are very similar. Tripple crowns do feel much safer up front.

Greg:
Clearence is very minimal. Sometimes when Im really flogging it My tire will touch the battery box just slightly, with the stinky it has never touched. Something to think about though.

Way to do a proper wheelie!

[youtube]UpBX0ymFtI4[/youtube]

Nice wheelie indeed mike, probably the best i have seen on electric (challenge :twisted: )
siiiiiiiiiiiickkkk LOL :mrgreen:
thanks for posting the vids, makes for great viewing, any of the stinky in action? or some off road?
man i miss my bike :cry:

D

more to come. Ive got a few road gaps and doubles in mind, must get rear wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes first. thanks all

eagerly anticipated!!!!

D

Wow!! Wonderful wheelie. Very very impressive. I haven't never seen anyone can do electric with wheelie. this is my 1st time i saw a rider did a Super wheelie. .. Alot of Fun !

Nice build and great wheelie! I had a dream I could do that once. ;^) Thanks for the post and video.

Back