Rapture! by Dusty Donnay

SilverSurfer

100 W
This is "Rapture" getting carried away! Motor is Golden Motor 48v 1000w.

DSC_3132.jpg
Controller is Lyens 18FET KILLER!
DSC_3136.jpg

4 SLA's right now, got one LIPO4, saving for the other, not done quite yet. The Lipo4 boxes are CHROME!
DSC_3134.jpg

left the stickers on, just dont give a rats patootie! LOL
DSC_3133.jpg

DSC_2554.jpg

The new CA is even backlit! Gotta love that! I get off work at 11pm!
DSC_2552.jpg

I like to build it strong! Looks dont keep ya safe at 30+mph!
DSC_2550.jpg

Stopping is important, yes?
DSC_2549.jpg

Mavic Crossride! A work of art unto itself! OMG!
Salsa constrictor, Masterlock cuffs, and a little ingenuity to mount my wiring and other components house.
I bought two of the Amped bike torque arms, but put them both on the wire side, with double bolts on the coaster bracket. Got one of the 9C torque arms on the other side.
I think i did pretty dang good job!

A new part today! Love the mailman, Christmas in January!

DSC_2560.jpg

This is my sincere effort to KEEP my Mavic Crossride! I looked at ALL the skewer security devices and thought this one the best. Its from Oredon and its called the WheelGuard. comes with a sweet wrench, and a card to order a new key if needed. It had a flaw on the shaft and wouldnt go in at first. there was a bump around the circum. of the shaft about 1 1/2" from the end thread. I used a course diamond sharpening stome and my hands as a centerless grinder and knocked it down in a couple minutes. I have to trim a bit off the other side where the skewer hangs out about 1/4". It seems fantastically secure, I feel better! The other side nut has an extreme taper, pollished and hardened, not gonna get much grip on that, this side the outer ring spins freely. Removal will take ALOT of effort and some ingenuity. NOBODY gonna just walk up and walk off! LOL

http://www.oredon.com/content/en/produits.php?id=22&

StudEbiker said:
Aesthetically this bike is very pleasing, but I have to say it looks really heavy on the back end. How does it ride??
Because the batteries are so low the stability is actually very nice! At low speed its very stable and tight corners arent topple worthy, in fact, its rather weeble wobblish in that its very comfortable upright. at high speed it handles very well and corners awsome, but if youre going fast and upsent the ride much laterally the mass can try to throw it around a bit. I try to make sure my butt is well adjusted before I get going, trying to adjust at speed seems dangerous. Cant shake it side to side like if you was standing in the stirups of your racing bike pushing hard. She dont like to be thrown around. Only real problem Ive had yet is my foot slipped off a pedal once! DAMN! Gonna change out the whole craknset and pedals. I love to overdo everything. Xpedo got some stirups that are ............. Like a beautifull woman! Mmmmmm.....! Pedals to dream for! I WANT SOME TOO! LOL

Amazingly she has pulled a max of just over 5,000 watts so far. Im not pulling that regularly just once in a while, I push it for a hard start. Im about 360 lbs and She cruises at 28mph at about 35 amps steady.

EDIT - This was wrong, she cruises at 28 mph pulling 65 amps steady! LONG ways from 35! Sorry.

To help with all the weight and that in Florida it can get wet on the pavement Im running Specialized Compound Control 2.2 tires. These are good to 100psi! Im running them at 75psi so I have great rolling resistance with lots of side wall strength for bumps and bruises. TIGHT! Some kevlar liners and flat proof rubber bands. I aint skeeeered a nuthin!

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42233&eid=5098&menuItemId=9304

SilverSurfer said:

I would have to agree, i very much like the cruiser look myself though :: wink::

One thing i would look at doing is losing theos square battery boxes and utilise the frame space you have in the 'triangle' area (in front of seat tube and behind the crank) You look to have ample space there to fit a heap of cells! I made a battery box for my ride that fits a similar area and it takes 44v 20ah of Lipo EASY...

Very nice ride though mate, very comfortable to i bet! superb job buddy great to have another crusier lover on ES :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
SilverSurfer said:

I would have to agree, i very much like the cruiser look myself though :: wink::

One thing i would look at doing is losing theos square battery boxes and utilise the frame space you have in the 'triangle' area (in front of seat tube and behind the crank) You look to have ample space there to fit a heap of cells! I made a battery box for my ride that fits a similar area and it takes 44v 20ah of Lipo EASY...

Very nice ride though mate, very comfortable to i bet! superb job buddy great to have another crusier lover on ES :)

KiM
I hadent commented ,but as a lurker I have enjoyed your build with a passion. Bravo! When I get my other LiFePo4 24v 20ah battery I will have a matched set, I have another set of smaller ammo boxes that are chrome. They will be the final design. I like the ammo can saddle bags for my style, Im ex army. ex biker. Might build one like this in army colors. Oh yeah.....Machine gun turrets....grenade launchers.....exotic dancers! Right! LOL Really bro, your build is awsome. Cheers. Dust

Today I put the headlight bucket on the front end to see what it looks like.
This is the mount, I had the bracket tig welded on to give the mounting lug a place to sit. That bracket was an old ink cap holder I didnt use anymore! PERFECT! LOL Looks like it belongs there.
DSC_2577.jpg

Looks pretty good huh!
DSC_2578.jpg

side view too.
DSC_2579.jpg

This is my 12v Super Bright 18LED H4 bulb! They say these are NOT for headlights! For daytime running lights or fog lights. Duh, Thats good eneough for an eBike! On this build style..... oh yeah! Thats niiiiiiice!
DSC_2580.jpg

The folks who sold me the lens that connects that H4 bulb to the 5 3/4" housing screwed up my order, sent me a box with two 65 watt H4 bulbs! I dont want or even need bulbs! Waiting again for the part. Im excited about this headlight, The look, the birghtness, and the low current draw! Maybe tomarrow!

I got the actual light houseing off eBay, its a "Bates 5 3/4" Headlight Shell" They run about 30 bucks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Parts-5-3-4-Bates-Headlight-Shell_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588576972eQQitemZ380196263726QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the Lense Ive been having such a hard time getting. http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-HALOGEN-HEADLIGHT-LENS-INCH/dp/B002MQTR7W 52 bucks them shipping on that too.

The LED http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=95674 was 16 bucks. I have a golf cart voltage reducer from 48 to 12 costed about 10 bucks from eBay. puts it around 120 bucks invested for the headlight system. .12Ma ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXQdtbDhYog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4juw--KoXaw

AussieJester said:
I must have missed where you said you picked up the headlight (surround) have you a link please? I am chasing similar for the front of my cruiser ...

Cheers

KiM

stylee man, I can't wait to see those chromed out ammo cans on that bad boy. They do a great job of obscuring that hub motor as well. seems like you could drill a few holes in the back of them and you would have some really stealth turn signals or brake lights. Nice clean build all around too. IMO nuthin like a bitching cruiser to really get the oooo's and ahhh's. Second that on your led bulb source, I might be down for two of them. Then again what I really want to do is use one of these
sku_5766_1.jpg

in one shell with heatsinc built in. But I'm back and forth on whether or not to use a existing lamp or thinking up a nifty way to make one myself. that emitter is a bit more than fifty bucks, pretty damn bright at 4000 lumens but makes a lot of heat as well.

gestalt said:
stylee man, I can't wait to see those chromed out ammo cans on that bad boy. They do a great job of obscuring that hub motor as well. seems like you could drill a few holes in the back of them and you would have some really stealth turn signals or brake lights. Nice clean build all around too. IMO nuthin like a bitching cruiser to really get the oooo's and ahhh's. Second that on your led bulb source, I might be down for two of them. Then again what I really want to do is use one of these
sku_5766_1.jpg

in one shell with heatsinc built in. But I'm back and forth on whether or not to use a existing lamp or thinking up a nifty way to make one myself. that emitter is a bit more than fifty bucks, pretty damn bright at 4000 lumens but makes a lot of heat as well.

WOWZERS!
ohmy.gif
50 diodes!!! INCREDIBLE!!!! So, curiosity, a bit more than fifty bucks meaning not more than 60, or..............?

actually, looking again it's $59 shipped. you would still need something to drive it with.

It is steel, The dropout are thick as heck! Very nice! The disc mount is one piece with the dropout on that side. I got the threadless one, had to customize my headset cause I couldnt afford the Chriss King one Im gona eventually put on. Its a great super strong fork with no suspension. The bike came with a springer, Im 350+ lbs! fast bike, battery weight...........no springer for me! Maybe a monarch style or spoiler, but that old beach cruiser springer, thats just dangerous, besides, DISC BRAKE!!! Shweeeet! http://www.bicycledesigner.com/defaulthome.asp?Main=/datasheet.asp%3FPartNumber%3D840536

PS- Heres a double crown downhill style fork for suspension minded who need real strength without the cost (real downhill forks can cost $400+) I recomend any eBike application use a double crown fork no matter what type! Just for safety reasons. http://www.bikebuyers.com/PART-1S-002.htm

dannyboyohyeah said:
Dusty~~ Is that front fork all steel? If it is...what source, pls.??

Keeping the build thread up to date, still waiting on headlight stuff, almost there! decided to build another rear hub motor, got a 9C going to do the electric transmission delta/wye phase shift. Got in the relays for the shift today...

Ordered on the 22nd, got them on the 24th! Pretty dang good time! All the parts are in proper order, The dimensions werent given, so here they are along with a looky at the guts of the beast...
DSC_2632.jpg

DSC_2633.jpg

DSC_2634.jpg

DSC_2635.jpg

DSC_2636.jpg

DSC_2631.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

DSC_2629.jpg

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2626.jpg

From the looks inside, these are authentic bada$$ 70 amp relays, not the chinese phoney baloney. two relays for each leg. this should make the amperage load capability 140 amps! This is gonna be rock solid!

Wires are here! All Teflon insulated silver over copper stranded 600 volt High Temp! I got teflon hall wires too, no sense in having hot phase wires burn up the hall wires! High tech insulation... Trying to do this all right the second time! LOL

DSC_2652.jpg

teflon hall wires (color coded of course)

DSC_2653.jpg

Teflon phase wires, yes, theyre only 16g, but I will be using two wires for each leg! I figure easier to fish 6/16g wires than 3/12g wires! I wonder....will two 16g carry as much current and one 12g?

DSC_2654.jpg

Gonna use some of this sweet insulation! fire proof my harness. LOL

To power my headlight and tailight, both 12v, I got a 72v-12v converter. I didnt want to use a seperate battery, and didnt want to upsent the balance of my system, so I opted for a 72v conversion. that way, I only have to charge one system. Besides, all my lights are LED with less than 1a total draw! Heres the converter...
DSC_2637.jpg

DSC_2644.jpg

DSC_2645.jpg

I would have taken a photo of the underside of the pc, but the fets are pretty securly mounted, so I didnt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330376453226
Khalids Electronics
KHALID@KHALIDS.COM
http://www.khalids.com/

They are fast shippers too. I paid for this on the 21st. mailed the 22nd, and got it today the 24th. I wish I could get everything so fast!
These 72v converters are good for 10 amps of 12v fun! maybe I hook up a stereo or some cool blu neon, OH OH -- GPS!!!! LOL Good luck bro.

AussieJester said:
Have you got a link to where you bought the 72-12v converter looks to be exactly what i need too run my actuators!

KiM

EXCELLENT...Bought and paid for ... thats my actuator power source sorted for good, after i just bought a 14v lipo for it that still hasnt been delivered :: sigh :: I never thought to look at something from the ol golf carts...cheers for that mate...shall have to start work on an onboard pc with mp3z & GPS now i have a power supply to runz it hehehe..I be pumpin out the tunez and not gettinz lost :mrgreen:

KiM

Anderson connectors hot off the press!

new hall wires 45 ampers!
DSC_2657.jpg

all phase wire connectors sb50
DSC_2658.jpg

DSC_2659.jpg

DSC_2660.jpg

All power lines sb50's too
DSC_2661.jpg

Man I got alot of work to do!

Back