E-bike Sledding

Metallover

10 kW
Today I had a few friends over and we towed a sled behind my bike. We were able to get up to about 20mph with a passenger. We had some overheating problems because I ducttaped the holes in my 26" 67v @ 68a 9C, so I will lower the amp limit before we take it out again tomorrow. There's no wish to go much over 20mph anyway with the snow on a bike and on the sled. :wink: .

In the snow without anyone on the sled, you spin out easily if you give it too much power with my cst cyclops tires. With someone on the sled, the tension on the rope keeps the back end in line so it's surprisingly stable. There isn't much jerking save for some bumps.

This was after we got about 2" of snow late in the day. They just plowed a few minutes ago, and the roads look GREAT for this. They are completely covered with packed white snow.

[youtube]YdEOe9nvdCg[/youtube]

DSCN0521.jpg

Nicely done!

Way cool!!! like jet-ski action, but on land!!

Now i gotta find some snow :D

that's awesome. i can't believe you've got that much traction with the cyclops. i'm having a blast with my snow & ice tires!
[youtube]Uuv02RivacU[/youtube]

this was my first outing with the kids and it was getting dark, but when the snow comes we're gonna tear it up!
[youtube]OQyy3fdK9I8[/youtube]

neptronix said:
Way cool!!! like jet-ski action, but on land!!

Now i gotta find some snow :D
That jet ski comment reminded me of a guy who put his RC boat on snow- Very Cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNt0PUahTY

Those are some cool videos GC! I see them all via youtube and I love watching them! Your style of driving mixed with fitting music and amazing scenery makes you videos very entertaining. :D

Thinking a little more about towing,, you should get the more traction the higher up you have your rope tied to your seatpost. I will put more weight on the rear wheel.

I programmed my controller for 26a max so tomorrow should be another good day of sledding.

I thought it fitting to talk about these videos on the Nerdcast this week:D

http://troyrank.com/2010/12/22/episode-3/

I went on another ride in the snow, without a sled, with a better rear tire. It was VERY fun. :D I rode on the river but it wasn't completely frozen over yet so I didn't ride too long there. I went trough a couple fields hittin' the drifts like a champ! The snow is supposed to be 8" deep but I would estimate 4-6" deep.

I still had motor overheating problems though.. Slow speeds are tough on a 26" motor! This tells me 67v on a 9c needs cooling holes to work properly. I will have it at 44v for next ride that should solve the problem.

DSCN0523.jpg

My duct tape has kept my halls safe so far, hopefully it continues to do so!

Low speed is hard on any motor, they just can't spool up enough to be efficient!

Awesome vid, looks like you are having fun! We put a ski on the front of our electric bikes here and rode it around. Good times.

Lessss said:
While fun what you are doing is illegal so keep an eye out for the fuzz.

I have a video of a friend pulling an entire couch with 2 passengers behind an explorer about 5 miles in the snow... I'm not sure anyone will bother him on an ebike :mrgreen:

Depends on your location but typically the laws says you can't pull people objects(unless it's a trailer) behind a car, motorcycle, ebike, or bicycle. 99.9% of cops won't care but eventually you run into a Cop like Officer Loanus here in Saint John; who will gleefully throw the cuffs on you have the bicycle TOWED and force you to pay for a lawyer to fight the charges even through they will be thrown out of court but not before you've had to shell out for the towing, the lawyer, and you get your bike back severely damaged.

johnrobholmes said:
Low speed is hard on any motor, they just can't spool up enough to be efficient!

Awesome vid, looks like you are having fun! We put a ski on the front of our electric bikes here and rode it around. Good times.

A ski sounds SO AWESOME!! Do you have any pictures of your ski? I might run in to goodwill today and look for a set. :D :twisted:

im just amazed you can ride in snow like that! well the last time i tried to ride my bike was in 12 inches of snow with 20 inch bmx wheels. i guess i should be better equipped with an actual mountain bike to ride like that...lol

Hi that's a nice idea towing people in a sled with an ebike. Like GC I have fitted my NOKIAN studded tyres to one of my ebikes and have carried on riding as normal, the number of normal cyclist I have seen fallen off there bikes is beyond count they all think that knobbly tyres will be enough on compacted snow and ice and the first corner they take at an angle they go flying. I asked a veteran studded cycle tyre rider how to get the most from them before I went out.

Geoff.

Lessss said:
Snow ice - ride a low bike where you can put your feet on the ground while riding. You ski more than ride, but much safer.
Glad you mentioned this, Lessss. This here part of Oregon is known much more for its rain than snow and ice but we get some all the same. Last big ice-over a few weeks ago and I am like, "no way I am taking the bike out in this!". So I'm out walking the dog, every few feet slipping and sliding, when up over a small hill comes this gal riding merrily along on her bike. She was going slowly but rode by and rounded a corner with nary a problem. Even while watching I slipped again. Her tires weren't even studded. So when I got home I figured there must be some supernatural law that propels bikes safely so I grabbed the electric bike and headed out to have coffee with friends. I was amazed at the stability the bike had. I just went slow and like you suggested I used my feet for balance and found myself rolling along to my appointment. It was great fun! When I got home I got on the internet and ordered a little added help... some detachable cleats, small enough to keep off the pedals (ebay seller southwest*outdoors...Title "NEW PAIR SLIDE STOPPER CLEATS SNOW/ICE 1 SIZE FITS ALL"). Now I'm waiting for the next ice to give it another go!

file.php

Attachments

• ice cleats.jpg
    ice cleats.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,629
Totally agree . ITs more like skiing !!! i like those foot skis!! I have been commuting every day , in snow and ice. my tires suck so cant stop , feet down at all times!!!

OMG! :D :twisted: :D OMG! :D :twisted: :D I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :D :D

DSCN0526.jpg

I went to a local goodwill, got a set of skis and poles for $5, and used a door hinge as a pivot on the bottom ski. Best friggin $5 I've ever spent! :D It sucks on ice/hard packed snow but with powder it is god!!! :D Twice as good as my front tire on snow!! :D This is so much fun to ride!!! :D Everyone has to try it before they die!! :D

I haven't ridden in a field yet besides my backyard. I will tomorrow and I can't wait!! :D I will get up early to ride so I can charge and ride again before I leave for Christmas! :D I will try to make a video tomorrow. :D

:D :D

edit-

DSCN0528.jpg

On our bikes we just put some wood blocks on the ski, and strap the ski to the front tire. Your method looks pretty secure too.

Great fun!

Back