E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby DALBYNATOR » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 am

Kepler wrote:...it's worth noting that the importer here in Aust has spare gears in stock but is yet to sell a set. :shock:


Hi Kepler, I'm down here in Adelaide and just wondering who your supplier for the BPM motors are? And whether I could get one shipped down here?

Cheers, Tom.
Yet to build, I'll get there one day...
User avatar
DALBYNATOR
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Paul_G » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 pm

I use to carry a 2nd battery for long rides and when one dropped dead I would swap it but after draining them down to dead over many cycles I found they held less and less till both only held 1050 WH's. John replaced them both at no charge.

To prevent that from happening in the future I wired them in parallel to prevent ever drawing one that low and I never have to bother swapping them again.

2nd battery just plugs into the same type connector on the seat post rack when needed.

There is also no sag.

Just got home from a 50 mile ride at 30-40 MPH and used 2000 WH's so each draw down was 1000 WH's......if you carry a 2nd this is the way to go......Win Win :)
Stealth Bomber #40
Paul_G
1 kW
1 kW
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby full-throttle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:34 am

kiqnkf wrote: Get the Bomber out of the house, start pedalling, click.....click...click..click.clickclick.clickclick.... Crap. V-boxx buggered.... Thought I could rely on the bike at least!!! NO!!! Wont be attending the ride this weekend.... Worst part about it.
John from Stealth Electric kindly agreed to take a look at the problem with the gearbox and replace it under warranty if necessary. How that for a customer service!

Don't feel to bad about missing out on the groupride this weekend - it's meant to be wet anyway. I'm sure we could re-visit it another day. SamD is having some issues with his bike and my spokes only arrived today. But they did arrive! And the length is right :lol:
User avatar
full-throttle
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2104
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: N-E Victoria, AUS

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby full-throttle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:43 am

Nice bike Kepler!
User avatar
full-throttle
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2104
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: N-E Victoria, AUS

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kurt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:17 am

Kepler wrote:Thanks knoxie. This will be my second Bafang. The first one in my commuter hasn't missed a beat in 2000 km. I haven't tried a Mac or a BMC so I can't compare but it's worth noting that the importer here in Aust has spare gears in stock but is yet to sell a set. :shock:

I agree its still a tough call under serious off road duties. This bike will spend most of its time on bike paths rather then off road but it will still be worked hard with plenty of high speed stuff.

Just quietly though, John an Al are belting the crap out of one of these motors as part of factory testing. No doubt they will find the limits of this motor :twisted:


It's good to see the BPM motors getting a beating and I am keen to see how the build turns out. I have been using the same motor in my recumbent trike for just under a year now. 45A at 60v ...2700w In a 20 inch wheel its got some nice torque. I now live on a unsealed dirt road with some very steep climbs and have been giving it a beating along this road (no suspension on the trike) and it hasn't missed a beat. I even tow a trailer around with it . For burst of high power and snap off the line they have some balls for a small motor(comparing it to my older 5304 and 80/100 Rc motor on same voltage/amps. They are very efficient to due to freewheeling. I think freewheeling is a HUGE plus for a nice bike like the fighter if you want to peddle and have that bike feel rather than motorbike feeling.

Jumping the bike under throttle could be a different story though. If you let off the throttle of jumps and let it free wheel when you hit the ground it would help make it last longer.

I took a little video of the same motor at 2700w on dirt road...spins the wheel no prob.
User avatar
Kurt
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby kiqnkf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 am

Yep, John at Stealth is terrific.

Called the shop, left a message re: gearbox. Little while later, he called back, suggested I tighten up the crank arms, PERFECT!!!

So I'm back on the road. Vic cruise Saturday 21st April (this weekend), which I will now be attending.
Royce Union D/S Mountain Bike, 500w Chituma front wheel kit
Stealth Bomber, custom electric kit....
NHW10 Prius - Ask, I may be able to help!!!
kiqnkf
100 W
100 W
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 am
Location: Frankston, Victoria, Australia 3200

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Rix » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 am

Hey Lowbank,

Your are correct about the axels on MX bikes. Both of my KTM's with an aluminum axel nut spin over a revolution before the axel nut starts turning freely. Maybe four complete turns before I can drop the socket wrench and spin with my fingers. And that with greasing the threads of the aluminum axel nuts. But still, I don't think a jam nut would hurt on your axel block post. Even little 3 hp 50cc childrens motorcycles have some type of jam nut on the axel block. But the torque from the a non hubmotor cycle isnt an issue like as with hub motor cycles. Last thing anybody wants is the hub motor spinning backwards at the axel. BTW, that is one cool bomber you got. Orange just makes it look faster. I just go a call from Darrin, the Stealth dealer here in the states. He spoke with John earlier and both of them recomended that I switch my order from the fighter to the bomber because of my body weight (around 118KG). So now I got an army green bomber on the way. Hooyah!!! Can't wait. Hopefull the ETA is the same.

Kepler, sweet fighter, cant wait to see the finished product. Please post some vids.

Rix
User avatar
Rix
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Justtoby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Rix, glad you went for the Bomber as I think you will benefit from the extra power and gears.

Glad the vboxx was an easy fix, we should all check the crank arms for tightness it would seem.
User avatar
Justtoby
1 kW
1 kW
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm
Location: Near Guildford, Surrey. GB

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kepler » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Kurt wrote:It's good to see the BPM motors getting a beating and I am keen to see how the build turns out. I have been using the same motor in my recumbent trike for just under a year now. 45A at 60v ...2700w In a 20 inch wheel its got some nice torque. I now live on a unsealed dirt road with some very steep climbs and have been giving it a beating along this road (no suspension on the trike) and it hasn't missed a beat. I even tow a trailer around with it . For burst of high power and snap off the line they have some balls for a small motor(comparing it to my older 5304 and 80/100 Rc motor on same voltage/amps. They are very efficient to due to freewheeling. I think freewheeling is a HUGE plus for a nice bike like the fighter if you want to peddle and have that bike feel rather than motorbike feeling.

Jumping the bike under throttle could be a different story though. If you let off the throttle of jumps and let it free wheel when you hit the ground it would help make it last longer.


That video really highlights that these motors are a serious package worthy of duty in a bike like a Fighter. Gives me even more confidence in this combo 8)

Jumping the bike under throttle wont be a big problem for me (my wheels stay firmly on the ground most of the time :oops: ) but this is certainly one of the things getting tested hard by John and Al.
Current Rides

BBS02 powered Specialized Camber: LATEST ROAD and SINGLE TRACK WEAPON http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
83 Volt 3 kW Stealth Fighter: OFF ROAD http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/
User avatar
Kepler
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Eastern suburbs Melbourne Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kepler » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Rix wrote:Hey Lowbank,

Your are correct about the axels on MX bikes. Both of my KTM's with an aluminum axel nut spin over a revolution before the axel nut starts turning freely. Maybe four complete turns before I can drop the socket wrench and spin with my fingers. And that with greasing the threads of the aluminum axel nuts. But still, I don't think a jam nut would hurt on your axel block post. Even little 3 hp 50cc childrens motorcycles have some type of jam nut on the axel block. But the torque from the a non hubmotor cycle isnt an issue like as with hub motor cycles. Last thing anybody wants is the hub motor spinning backwards at the axel. BTW, that is one cool bomber you got. Orange just makes it look faster. I just go a call from Darrin, the Stealth dealer here in the states. He spoke with John earlier and both of them recomended that I switch my order from the fighter to the bomber because of my body weight (around 118KG). So now I got an army green bomber on the way. Hooyah!!! Can't wait. Hopefull the ETA is the same.

Kepler, sweet fighter, cant wait to see the finished product. Please post some vids.

Rix


Thats great news with Stealth contacting you and steered you towards the Bomber. This is definitely a better fit bike for you. Yet another example of how Stealth take care of their customers :wink:
Current Rides

BBS02 powered Specialized Camber: LATEST ROAD and SINGLE TRACK WEAPON http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
83 Volt 3 kW Stealth Fighter: OFF ROAD http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/
User avatar
Kepler
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Eastern suburbs Melbourne Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Rix » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Kepler,

I agree with you. Its one thing for a company to be there after the sale, but its totally awesome when they are there before the sale. I also got an email from John about the Bomber. Stealth is definately looking out for my best interests and obviously concerned about the customers being happy with their purchases. Can't wait to get it. Also, I went to Hyena's web site and saw his fighter with all of the mods. Shit the bed!! That thing is way trick. Zoch forks, 6-9 kw of power, custom hub motor, binders from Zero . You and Hyena are what I would call "the un-official Stealth customer R&D Division". Cant' wait to see your finished fighter.

Rix
User avatar
Rix
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kepler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 am

Working on the custom controller for the Fighter at the moment. The controller has been up speced with 4110 Fets and 100V components. All HV wiring has been done in 12gauge silicon cable which should be plenty for the power output. High current solder traces are all beefed up with solid copper bar too. As you can see, the controller is tiny and a piece of cake to install internally. With the bike frame being used as the FET heatsink, hopefully heat will be kept under control. Should have all the mods completed tonight ready for installation tomorrow. 8)
Attachments
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG (221.78 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Current Rides

BBS02 powered Specialized Camber: LATEST ROAD and SINGLE TRACK WEAPON http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
83 Volt 3 kW Stealth Fighter: OFF ROAD http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/
User avatar
Kepler
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Eastern suburbs Melbourne Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby DALBYNATOR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 am

DALBYNATOR wrote:
Kepler wrote:...it's worth noting that the importer here in Aust has spare gears in stock but is yet to sell a set. :shock:


Hi Kepler, I'm down here in Adelaide and just wondering who your supplier for the BPM motors are? And whether I could get one shipped down here?

Cheers, Tom.


Mr Kepler,why you no answer my question? :lol: (hopefully at least one person gets this...)

Image
Yet to build, I'll get there one day...
User avatar
DALBYNATOR
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kepler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:05 am

This because I am keeping them all for myself :twisted:

Send a PM to Ben Moore http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12004 He should be able to help you out.
Current Rides

BBS02 powered Specialized Camber: LATEST ROAD and SINGLE TRACK WEAPON http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
83 Volt 3 kW Stealth Fighter: OFF ROAD http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/
User avatar
Kepler
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Eastern suburbs Melbourne Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby DALBYNATOR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:33 am

Kepler wrote:This because I am keeping them all for myself :twisted:

Send a PM to Ben Moore http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12004 He should be able to help you out.


Cheers for that mate. Just shot him a PM, eagerly awaiting the reply, really wanna get my first build going... :roll:

Anyways, thanks again, and I'll stop polluting this fine thread. :mrgreen:
Yet to build, I'll get there one day...
User avatar
DALBYNATOR
100 mW
100 mW
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Cowardlyduck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

How do others with the Fighter carry them?

I live on the first floor of an apartment and have a small flight of stairs to carry mine up. I would power up them, but they're too smooth and the wheel just spins.
I tend to grip under the seat sub-frame with one hand and the other either on the handle bars or lifting from the front shock cross bar just above the wheel.

What/how do others do it?

I imagine the Bomber is too heavy to lift in this manner.

Cheers
Upgraded Stealth Fighter.
Upgraded (forced air cooling) HS4065 + 18Fet @ 90A + 18AH 12S LiPo = 50Km/h, 60Km Range, 110Nm torque and a lotta fun. :D

Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos
User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Hyena » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:I live on the first floor of an apartment and have a small flight of stairs to carry mine up.

Get a run up and nail it - you're not trying hard enough :P
Stairs can be a bit of a challenge but I usually manage to power up them OK. Try lifting the front so it's in the air and power the bike up the stairs with it vertical. Just don't lose your balance or it'll end in tears!

Failing that lifting by the seat post rather than the seat frame is probably better
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered and custom e-bike kits____Pre-order the new Qulbix Raptor 140 frame now!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...
User avatar
Hyena
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 5017
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Cowardlyduck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Hyena wrote:Get a run up and nail it - you're not trying hard enough :P
Stairs can be a bit of a challenge but I usually manage to power up them OK. Try lifting the front so it's in the air and power the bike up the stairs with it vertical. Just don't lose your balance or it'll end in tears!

:lol: I would, but I'd have to either get the run up in about 1 meter, or do the run up over 2 large steps then a door barely wide enough for the handle bars before I hit the flight of stairs. Trust me it's not really doable unless you want to break something. :lol:

Might try the front up trick. I also have to consider the noise made since I have neighbours. :roll:

Hyena wrote:Failing that lifting by the seat post rather than the seat frame is probably better

Bit awkward to hold, since I've got a light, hydration pack and mud guard all hanging off there, but I'll try that one too.

Cheers
Upgraded Stealth Fighter.
Upgraded (forced air cooling) HS4065 + 18Fet @ 90A + 18AH 12S LiPo = 50Km/h, 60Km Range, 110Nm torque and a lotta fun. :D

Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos
User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby sn0wchyld » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Hyena wrote:Get a run up and nail it - you're not trying hard enough :P
Stairs can be a bit of a challenge but I usually manage to power up them OK. Try lifting the front so it's in the air and power the bike up the stairs with it vertical. Just don't lose your balance or it'll end in tears!

:lol: I would, but I'd have to either get the run up in about 1 meter, or do the run up over 2 large steps then a door barely wide enough for the handle bars before I hit the flight of stairs. Trust me it's not really doable unless you want to break something. :lol:

Might try the front up trick. I also have to consider the noise made since I have neighbours. :roll:

Hyena wrote:Failing that lifting by the seat post rather than the seat frame is probably better

Bit awkward to hold, since I've got a light, hydration pack and mud guard all hanging off there, but I'll try that one too.

Cheers


i ride a norko aline, so I dont know if this trick will work for a fighter, but I thought i'd share anyway... if you can get your shoulder under the seat post so it might work.

I basically have the bottom of the seat tube resting on my sholder (the seat tube doesnt stick out at all, so its just the frame resting on my shoulder. I reach through and grab the swingarm with my hand, and hold the handlebars with my other hand. If it was something I did daily I'd add a small piece of padding on the underside of the seat tube, in which case it'd be a breeze to carry. as it is the occasional flight of stairs/fence or whatever is easy enough.
My builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29373
Norko Aline Park DH - Clyte HT3525 - 24s lipo
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33657&p=534823#p534823
'02ish Avanti D8 - 8085 170kv - 5s 40ah lipo - ple80 recution
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43143
RC Electric mountainboard
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57489
RC longboard with my own CNC routered parts!
User avatar
sn0wchyld
100 kW
100 kW
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm
Location: South Aus.

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby voicecoils » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:58 am

Can you build a ramp?

Image
(image title: ramp to living room)
User avatar
voicecoils
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:31 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Cowardlyduck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 am

voicecoils wrote:Can you build a ramp?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I wish.
Nah...I rent. That was also suggested by one of my neighbours when he saw me struggling getting the bike inside one day.

Thanks for all the suggestions guy's. :D

Cheers
Upgraded Stealth Fighter.
Upgraded (forced air cooling) HS4065 + 18Fet @ 90A + 18AH 12S LiPo = 50Km/h, 60Km Range, 110Nm torque and a lotta fun. :D

Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos
User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:28 am

Its only 34kg so its not really that heavy just an odd shape that makes it hard to manage. If you made up some kind of sling out of seat belt material. You can just feed it through the opening in the frame below the seat and then just over one solder like a bag.

Kurt
User avatar
Kurt
10 kW
10 kW
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby ManxE » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 am

...Or try getting Velcro carry-straps from your local hardware/ironmonger store? You can loop one of those around the chassis.
User avatar
ManxE
1 W
1 W
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 am
Location: Isle of Man

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Justtoby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:21 am

I find the Fighter easiest to carry by picking up the back wheel, the rim is a nice curve which fits the hand nicely and the hub is the heavy part so it is a straight lift, you can use the other arm to either tuck under the frame or hold the bars.

Try it.

I like the strap idea too and lift on your shoulder.
User avatar
Justtoby
1 kW
1 kW
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm
Location: Near Guildford, Surrey. GB

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Postby Kepler » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 am

Been working hard on the Fighter to get it finished. Very happy with the way it came up. The blue handle bars I am sure wont to be to everyone's taste but I quite like them an kind of adds a personal touch without messing up the Fighter look.

First a shot of the bike completed but without the the batteries installed. I divided the battery cavity into 2 equal compartments and are using the upper compartment as the primary battery area. This arrangement puts the balance point just about in the centre of the bike. The bottom compartment has a a parallel battery connector for quick connection of a second equal sized pack for those longer rides.

019.JPG
019.JPG (138.5 KiB) Viewed 1999 times


021.JPG
021.JPG (152.55 KiB) Viewed 1999 times


Total weight with the upper battery only came up at 27kg ready to ride. Feels amazing on the road and changes direction so easily. Really quite easy to pick up also.

006.JPG




011.JPG


I have only had a couple of shake down rides so far but are more then pleased with the results. Top speed is 63kph on flat road and is setup for just over 2000W. Acceleration is more then acceptable and I think wouldn't be far off off a stock Fighter in this department. I am really impressed with the Magura MT-2 brakes also. Very light feel combined with excellent modulation and great stopping power. I am running a 38 tooth chain ring and and using the 11 tooth on the cluster. This makes for a comfortable cadence at 50 kph in the high ratio on the Schlumpf and around 25kph on the low ratio.

And finally a few shots of the completed bike with the happy owner :)

029.JPG
029.JPG (140.85 KiB) Viewed 1998 times


026.JPG
026.JPG (149.42 KiB) Viewed 1999 times


002.JPG
Last edited by Kepler on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Rides

BBS02 powered Specialized Camber: LATEST ROAD and SINGLE TRACK WEAPON http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
83 Volt 3 kW Stealth Fighter: OFF ROAD http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/
User avatar
Kepler
10 MW
10 MW
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Eastern suburbs Melbourne Australia

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bike Photos & Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests