GT E-drive from Russia

andreym

100 W
Finally I decided to post some pics and vids here :)
So here is my current build and some fun videos.
For now it`s rear 9C 2807 with 12fet Lyen controller, CA-LS, and 20s2p Nano-Lipo, so pretty standard e-bike configuration :D
But plans are for new HS5340 in 24 inch wheel(it`s waiting for some halls right now), new front wheel with matched rim and new true-sin-wave controller (prototype).
Still have many things to complete and I`ll post some good quality pictures when complete it.

Here is the video of first day the bike was "almost built" - there was some E-vent here in Moscow and some racing of course.
1st place even without the pedal power (there was no freewheel installed at that moment - had no time to buy it yet LOL)

[youtube]NPDE7cKLzZY[/youtube]

here is the Fas_r7 test drive of my new bike with helmet-mounted Dryft-HD cam.

[youtube]kPw_PV-DH74[/youtube]

and here is my e-bike charging after the event (was almost empty at about 3.5v per cell) due to no pedal power yet had to find the way to charge for my back-home trip). Ice-cream lady was so nice to allow me to charge.

[youtube]W1JrxhGhql4[/youtube]

on the way home got the max speed at the picture in my signature and the average was almost 50kmph (if i wasn`t slow down while passing the police station it could be more :))

Классный велик Андрюха!

What current is the conroller set to? How hot does 9C get?

True sine wave controller prototype :shock: please tell more!

full-throttle said:
Классный велик Андрюха!

Cпасибо, старался :)

the current was set to 50 amps rated and 120a phase at parameter designer, but real measured with CA was more about 65-69amps during acceleration.
But for road use I limit it to 40amps via CA not to fry pour 9C to fast :)
It`s pre-production sample and I cannot tell you much yet, sorry.
Just a lil picture to compare: both controllers are 24fet ones
left is secret sin-wave controller fitted with irfp4110 in TO-247 case
on the right is standard 24fet infineon.
cb7d206ef185.jpg

here is short video of testing fist beta
[youtube]MGjNZr_WrMY[/youtube]

What is the advantage of true sine wave?

Whiplash said:
What is the advantage of true sine wave?
well, first of all, much more smooth motor spinning. Ex most of guys here have heard 9C motor sound at heavy loads, and almost everybody know famous x5 motor cogging at startup and heavy acceleration. So there is no more this sounds and you actually do not hear the motor at all!
Second, but probably even more important that with simple controller you can get maximum theoretical efficiency of 92% from motor. Even if you eliminate all losses from winding resistance and wires and mosfets. With sin-wave controller theoretical maximum is 100% so you can get almost 8% difference in efficiency.
And 8% for EV is really A LOT! It`s Even more than you can get using regen braking.
That also mean you do not have to dissipate all that power via mosfets and windings and this means you can actually pump it in even more power to the same motor without burning it and with less heat for the controller. Actually the controller stays cool even when outputs 200-250 amps phase current and about 80-100amps battery current.

andreym said:
full-throttle said:
Классный велик Андрюха!

Cпасибо, старался :)

the current was set to 50 amps rated and 120a phase at parameter designer, but real measured with CA was more about 65-69amps during acceleration.
But for road use I limit it to 40amps via CA not to fry pour 9C to fast :)
It`s pre-production sample and I cannot tell you much yet, sorry.
Just a lil picture to compare: both controllers are 24fet ones
left is secret sin-wave controller fitted with irfp4110 in TO-247 case
on the right is standard 24fet infineon.
cb7d206ef185.jpg

here is short video of testing fist beta
[youtube]MGjNZr_WrMY[/youtube]

You are saying you got 24 of a TO-247 mosfet into the case of a 12-fet infinion???
I'm strongly inclined to call BS... but with a pair of boards well laid out, it would be possible to fit.

That would make it a controller capable of ~30kw.

I currently have on hands 18fet version, but the same case will fit up to 36fets and due to much lower heat from it there is no problem with cooling.

here is the picture of 18fet version compared to 12fet infineon
24fet and 36fet will be the same size but with 2 boards.

DSC04677_r.jpg

Today used cell-log to record the weakest pack in my battery.
I discovered this pack have a 2-nd cell with higher IR, while bulk-charging at little above 1C rate and this cell go out of balance a bit, but after fully charged it is well balanced so there is no problem.
On the way to work used 8.5ah according to CA.
Current limit was set to 40a via CA because last programmed via controller was around 60amps and it seems too much for the daily usage and motor is not drilled yet, so i dialed the current down.
Initial voltage of 20s battery 83.2v,
resting voltage at the end 74v

and here is some graphs:

the whole log:

7f65b4435841.jpg

right in the middle of trip:

587dba386fc2.jpg

at the end (after about 8-8.5ah used):

143eaf87f7bd.jpg

sorry have no Go-Pro yet and have not discovered how to mount my Motorola Defy on the handlebar to take a video.
So video is probably coming later :)

Laced a new front wheel yesterday.
Now it feels much more reliable than the previous one.
no more brake disk grinding after each braking :D

Azonic combo hub (could be used for 20mm throung axle and 9mm QR with adapter)
Sun Rims Double track 24" 36holes and DT swiss 2mm spokes.
New quad pulse 203mm brake rotor and my favourite Maxxis HookWorm 2.5" as well :D

d7403a46f447.jpg

Hi andreym,

Could you share how you drive the mosfets?
They are revealing hard to drive due to the high capacitance on the Gate, i'm not sure what kind of driver i should choose.

Best regards.

Borrowed a GoPro from a friend.
Some short vids (not edited yet)
here is the common traffic on the way to work
[youtube]t5FombuNp1s[/youtube]

and here is the end of trip with some stats from CA
[youtube]dYJtO2G9efo[/youtube]

and you won`t hear the 9C while accelerating, no more Grrrrrr sound :) it`s because of Maxcontroller with true sin-wave
but you may hear it a bit while regen braking though.

hey andrey! nice bike! looks familiar!! :lol:

looks like you fit the lipos in the triangle the same way, and the controller - east to check temp with leg, right? :lol:

did you find it used? what year is it? does it say E-drive or I-Drive?

ps: the seat tube looks too long - perhaps you should cut the extra off so it doesn't bottom out on shock?

GCinDC said:
hey andrey! nice bike! looks familiar!! :lol:

looks like you fit the lipos in the triangle the same way, and the controller - east to check temp with leg, right? :lol:

did you find it used? what year is it? does it say E-drive or I-Drive?

ps: the seat tube looks too long - perhaps you should cut the extra off so it doesn't bottom out on shock?
Yes - actually your tread inspired me to make it :)
the seat tube is a bit long but it does not bottom out shock. There is enough clearance.
I`m not sure of the year and it definately says iDrive (e-drive just means it has electric motor :))
the bike was in pour condition when I got it. Now it have new fork and rear shock as well. Feels much better now.
I actually have 2 controllers mounted atm. One is my old infineon from Lyen and another one is Maxcontroller that is still in beta-tesing mode :)
And i can actually swap them within couple minutes(i mean in case one suddenly blows i can use the second to get back home)

Added couple more videos:
common morning traffic here
[youtube]LKb0vuzYiMQ[/youtube]

and another day (now captured with 60fps mode that is much smoother)
these 3 videos is complete way to work
[youtube]1ocbbtf_008[/youtube]
[youtube]e3U5m6Y47U4[/youtube]
[youtube]qk8_wlvDEvI[/youtube]

and some fun video with controller testing at 65amps :)
[youtube]ZVUNPORpcGk[/youtube]

great vids, andrey. bike looks strong.

looks like you've found the FAS lane, haha. you must really have to look backwards to see if any motorcycles are speeding up before you switch between cars, right?

so the commute is like 35min? that's about my range, stopping and starting pulling max amps. how many miles did you go and how much Ah did you have left?

beautiful weather! that must be a relief. :lol:

GCinDC said:
great vids, andrey. bike looks strong.

looks like you've found the FAS lane, haha. you must really have to look backwards to see if any motorcycles are speeding up before you switch between cars, right?

so the commute is like 35min? that's about my range, stopping and starting pulling max amps. how many miles did you go and how much Ah did you have left?

beautiful weather! that must be a relief. :lol:
yes - you are right - 35 min or so. It is 25-26km that equals to 15-16 miles if I`m not mistaken...
actually today in the morning it was 31min and 49.1 Average speed but have not made a picture of that

but i have a pictures of CA from the way home:
69a411e863b0.jpg

EDIT: do not look at max speed - the actual max speed was probably 71-72kmph

and some stats from maxcontroller:
motor temp(windings) after about half an hour = 73.9 C
2740cc9d3b8a.jpg

right after trip it was 112 C but I have not captured that.

and current settings: phase current 73.3A rated current 41.2A

3b32bad18981.jpg

and yes - the stats are for Crystalyte HS laced in 24" rim. And Hookworm 2.5 inch tire as usual :)

And finally some pictures of the bike itself.
0310f05176e1.jpg

0cbe415dd9de.jpg

b96afc64bc6d.jpg

0ece995c6f1e.jpg

d94f1b698422.jpg

e59a3a52963c.jpg

d09c62126b0f.jpg

it is still "under construction" and there are many things to do...
need to make some cover for the batteries and probably remove infineon from the left side of the frame because I do not use it right now.

nice backup controller... :lol:
what are the brakes? i'm hunting for rear calipers (mech or hydro) that'll fit my 9C... you used to have gatorbrakes?

custom torque arms? i can't see them. it's a pain fitting something flat to those dropouts, huh?

what's the maxcontroller? is that the thing on the stem in blue? is that what FASr7 has mounted on his dash?

how are you charging?

GCinDC said:
nice backup controller... :lol:
what are the brakes? i'm hunting for rear calipers (mech or hydro) that'll fit my 9C... you used to have gatorbrakes?

custom torque arms? i can't see them. it's a pain fitting something flat to those dropouts, huh?

what's the maxcontroller? is that the thing on the stem in blue? is that what FASr7 has mounted on his dash?

how are you charging?
breakes are magura gustav m = oldschool heavy breakes. and hard to find btw.
The only way to get them is to pay about 250EUR for one side or hunting ebay.de for used ones :)
yes - I used to have gatorbrakes and they are good but they won`t fit with rear 9C motor :(
that was the main reason I got maguras
yes- torque arms are fit from inside and I`m actually planning to make another ones because 70amps at 80volts is a lot of power and I`m not sure current ones will hold that for long.
Maxcontroller is hand-built controller we`re currently working at. It is true sin-wave and have most of functions adjustable from the main display - no need to reprogram with a PC. Unfortunately I cannot tell much more about the controller until production starts.
the blue thing is actually electric tape that holds the buttons on it`s place :) So yes the black box with blue tape is the display for Maxcontroller.

as for the charger I have already answered you in FASr7 thread about the way I charge.
I use to reconfigure lipo from 20s2p to 10s4p configuration and charge with this PSU

andreym said:
...he is testing 70amps at 80volts :)
its fine combination for upgrade wheelie skill :lol:

How's the GT, Andrey?

I was just checking your youtube channel... Looks like you're trying a new battery pack? Not lipo? What happened here? The controller shorted because it was outside enclosure?
[youtube]bXdMIL58IuQ[/youtube]

Back