E-bike Xm

xmasta

10 W
Hya, thought I share my build here too :)

I initially had electric scooter, but it was pretty much useless most of the time because of where i live, Estonia, its next to Finland so, muchos bad weather and snow etc.

After being to work with bicycle everyday for two winters (insert video later) i decided that the scooter is just stupid and i should get my bicycle motorized.

So the scooter got sold and e-bikekit motor/controller + Ping 48v10ah ordered.
I couldnt use the bike i was driving with cos of the funny frame that had no place to put the batteries the way i would like so went for the old one:

Then there was some long wait, making batteries out of old pizza boxes to plan placing them etc.

Finally the stuff was all arrived and it was time to put it all together, also I decided to try my hand at fiberglass, i was not too good at it :p

[youtube]DVFHgrAI2ug[/youtube]

and so i got myself going, but i was not happy by the looks and so on.

Then i started designing new battery box that i could insulate from cold and weather, but also take off the bike when neccessery without too much hassle.

Voila, batterypack V2 was a go:

After it was halfway done, a friend showd up who had some bike lying around waiting to be thrown out but offered it to me. And well, it was much lighter and only needed little paintjob and crankset, also rear cassette was dead but i didnt need it anyway.

The new bike had much bigger frame that actually made my "removable" option a lot easier to solve.
bottom slides to a plate i've put into drinking cup holder and rear piece goes around seat tube, behind there i'll put a lock on it.

So this is where i'm at now, got myself new controller from Lyen and prepping the new box for near future system transfer :)

the original thread on local zero emission vehicles forum: http://zev.ee/foorum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=177 - i bet it's funny through google translate.

NIce build! I like the box!

Added some metal bracing to the fiberglass box, the ride is really pumpy so I want to make it a little more sturdy.

Now i must figure out what will i use to insulate the batteries, then there's connections to be made..

Also crafted anderson plate holders, so i can put both power out and charge ports on the rear side and do not need to open the box for anything.

here's the photoshopped design that i measured and printed to cut mine out, if anyone wants to print/cut some for himself too

great build,the battery in the frame is the best.much better than a heavy slow scooter :) .

Installed motor on my new bike and tested out the Lyen controller but it makes disturbingly loud noise and doesnt spin up to speed that the old controller does.

There must be some configuration mixup, like hall sensors pulsing the phases wrong or something.. sent Lyen an email but not sure how busy he is, maybe someone here knows those settings and stuff and can also help with it?

it's a 12 x 4110 MOSFET Extreme Modder Controller LYEN Edition controller, and i'm using the e-bikekit.com read DD motor, the first controller on the video is also from that kit, e-bikekit.com 20 amp thingy.

.video removed.

here's the screenshot from settings i'm on atm:
xm-lyensettings01.JPG

different phasedegree? Halp

It seems on Lyen controllers 2 colors on the phase wires have to be swapped. Not sure of the colors but a search here should bring it up. Second version of the bike looks good. Welcome to ES

torker said:
It seems on Lyen controllers 2 colors on the phase wires have to be swapped. Not sure of the colors but a search here should bring it up. Second version of the bike looks good. Welcome to ES
Hello and thank you for the kind words.

Phase wires were off before connecting and i noticed it, blue green red didnt match i had to switch side ones, then i ran this test and thought about well, maybe original setup was correct just wrong colors.
tried how they were initially but that mixed it up even worse and motor didnt move at all.
Should i try third alignment? and .. what should it be then.. :D
on the video they run: yellow green blue
non moving was: blue green yellow

Sorry I never programmed one. I run Ebikekit controllers with a modded shunt. I just added wire to the shunt to up the amps and I run 60v through them. Poor mans setup :oops: Someone who knows programming will help soon I hope.

Love the Battery box and especially the charging port! Also, the bent metal piece looks great.

etard said:
Also, the bent metal piece looks great.

Thanks, "the bent metal piece" got my attention next, it is shielding relay and battery connections and hosts keyswitches for main power, controller and precharge :)

still much to do with them wires, must shorten many that run to the handlebar and see how I can hide the rest of them after getting mudguards installed.

April 11, 2012, a crazy woman managed to run me over, when i was exiting from traincrossing, managed to avoid the worse and hit her parallel on the side but somehow the car still managed to pull the bikes frontwheel under its fronwheel and slammed on the ground i was. Probably cos of the angel i was at when trying to dodge the car by pulling hard to the right.

new front wheel, new rear rim.. the crash pulled some of the spokes through the rim.

.. started thinking about new frame.. no suspension whit our shitty roads is painful.

scrapped the idea for now and going to sell this frame.. has 5 year guarantee so shouldnt be problem to find a buyer, drove it only for 200m :D

Reason, did not want to do another big build and still end up without full suspension.. i cant drive on anything but car roads cos of the road conditions off of it. And it's not so great on the main roads either at times.

Looked around for affordable full suspension frame but downhill frames are totally out in my country.. I cant believe how lucky guys in US are, wallmart 150$ full suspension bike.. argh. Anything close to acceptable obtainable here was ~$1000, out of my budget range.

so.. I went and looked up my old FS frame.. of the "coca-cola" bike.. and decided i'm going to modify it :)

coca-ftw01.jpg

going to weld new pipes to the red zones, bring the suspension connection little lower and cut out everything in the green area, for battery space.
The pipes over rear suspension are going to go like this ( )
what do you think? ;)

Sounds like a good plan! Make sure you update the build as it goes!

Sorry to hear about your accident. Looks like you are busy getting a new ride ready to go. Old desktop pc as a sawhorse :)

Cos of the breaking spokes (after crash respoking was done poorly with weak spokes) I had to order new proper spokes from ebikekit and thus take everything apart, used the time to clean up the motor aswell..

Photo 02.03.13 10 19.07.jpg

Bought some proper grease and oil now .. :p

Also paint has gotten very loose on the engine.. have to repaint that.

PS. I wonder if taking the motor apart to grease inner bearings AND closing it securely would be an easy thing to do.. I unscrewed bolts from one side for painting and seemed like they were superclued too.. or something hard like that

I just installed the rear DD motor from e-bikekit on my GT Aggressor hard tail. I'm currently using a 36V 20Ah battery from bmsbattery.com. I also have a 48V 10Ah on the way from them. I have a 2 battery switch on the bike and will be using both batteries, 36V for street and 48V for dirt. I like your mid mount battery installation which is something I'm trying to figure out for my bike. I was thinking of bolting a rectangular piece of sheet metal to the water bottle carrier mounts and using industrial strength velcro to attach the batteries to it. The battery packs are the wrapped shrink tube style. Velcro the batteries together, one on top of the other, velcro the controller on top of the batteries and then velcro everything to the plate. Then maybe wrap some duct tape around everything just to be safe but leave the controller exposed for cooling. I just have to figure out what to use for side panels. It's a 22" frame so I have a lot of room to work with.

Had to order new spokes cos of the poorly made respoking i got from local dealer(6 spokes broken til i ordered new ones), and made it myself!
Also while at it, scraped off paint that had come loose on the motor and repainted it.

View attachment 1

Photo 17.03.13 17 50.05.jpg

Back